Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Bamboo disposable plates?

Has anyone ever used bamboo disposable plates/utensils? I am having a somewhat casual garden wedding (exactly a year from today! YAY!) and plan on doing a gourmet taco bar. All the caterers we are considering include your standard white disposable plates/utensils. I wanted to upgrade to something a little nicer looking, and rather then paying a company most likely far more to upgrade, I want to provide it myself. The reception will be in a beautiful all white garden house, so I think we can accomplish some pretty nice looking place settings with bamboo disposable ware, and some pops of color on the tables (flowers around the napkins/utensils etc). I also LOVE this idea of a DIY sprucing up to the utensils.
Has anyone had any experience with this? Is it still tacky and cheap looking, or have you seen some nice place settings using this material? Supposively they are wayyy more durable then the thick white plates, but I really would love some first hand experience. I may even try to find a sample pack and have my FI and I do a taco night at home to really test it out! :)

Also, should I do the setting with one large dinner plate and one smaller salad plate? Or just one large dinner plate? I will be doing a cocktail hour with small plates for the snacks, so I wasn't sure if with dinner I should include yet another small plate. My inkling is yes, as some people will want a salad/nachos/salsa seperate from their taco/quesadilla or whatever else we are having.
I am all about eco-friendly so these are a great option for that reason too!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

This is why we can't have nice things.

Re: Bamboo disposable plates?

• No advice at all, but thanks for asking this because I've been wondering about the bamboo stuff, too.

Okay, a tiny bit of advice/opinion: I would say one plate for dinner, but small plates for both appetizers and dessert. If it's a buffet, people aren't going to want to juggle multiple plates, and no one will want to eat cake off of salsa residue.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cj3561cj3561 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Oh gosh no, I would never serve cake on the same plates! I will have dessert served entirely separately on separate plates. I just meant for the dinner portion - if it would be necessary for the two plates or if one is sufficient. Maybe I will do the one large at the tables and keep a stack of smaller ones at the buffet. That way guests can choose, and if the smaller plates are not used, they won't be scattered all over the tables taking up space when guests move them off to the side.

It really is very pretty for disposable, some of the ones I have seen have a very nice grain/pattern to them. Love them!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Our dessert was served on bamboo plates. Sorrynotsorry if people didn't think it was fancy enough. They were probably looking at $20-30 of dessert sitting on that cheap plate, so whatever.

If you're having a casual wedding, I see no issue with bamboo plates for your taco bar. As long as they're strong enough for what you're serving, I don't see any issue. But like any buffet, people should be able to get a clean one each time they go up. And just because they're disposable doesn't servers shouldn't be clearing them for people. Servers should still be going around and cleaning up tables. 
    *********************************************************************************

• cj3561cj3561 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Thanks for the input, @southernbelle0915 :) I think it will be fine. And yes, I will have full staff for clearing tables too. If my guests are anything like me, I will have like, 5 separate little cups just for all the different types of salsa I like to smother my tacos in - it would be a nightmare without help!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I recently attended a DIY/budget wedding that used disposable bamboo plates and it was seriously the most beautiful and creative table setting I've ever seen! I wish I took a picture of it... long dark wood farm tables with silk laurel garlands and repurposed wine bottles for the centerpieces, then they had large square bamboo dinner plates with bamboo forks and knives tied with twine. They served the cake on smaller square ones. 
  • I think for a casual wedding the bamboo plates would be a great option to dress it up a little more then the standard throw away plates. They will also add some color & texture to tables decor
  • I've used bamboo plates before. They look awesome. Warning.....do not get bamboo utensils! They are absolute shit and pretty much useless. I bought vintage silverware from savers and it works for my look. I've seen hand dipped cheap silverware in oil based paint. That looks unique as well. Who are you using for the catering? Agave has an awesome food truck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards