Moms and Maids

Etsy Bridesmaid Dresses

I am looking for long dresses for my bridesmaids. I'm trying to find dresses that are reasonably priced. Etsy has a variety under $100. I've heard a mix of opinions about buying online from etsy/Chinese sellers. Does anyone have experience buying from one of these types of sellers? If so, what shop is it from? Should I try it or stay clear?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Etsy Bridesmaid Dresses

• I wouldn't buy from a Chinese seller, and I'd be wary of anything you can't go into a store to look at yourself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• arrrghmateyarrrghmatey member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2015

I wouldn't buy from a Chinese seller, and I'd be wary of anything you can't go into a store to look at yourself.

Ditto this. I was in a wedding party in which the bride was going with a Victorian/Steampunk theme, and found dresses from an online retailer from China. They were the only ones the bride could find in the color/design she wanted. In the photo, it looked great. But when I received the dress? Holy crap, was it all sorts of WRONG. The color was off, the dress had a sort of tail/train in the back that wasn't in the photo, and the corset was of cheap quality, contradicting what the retailer claimed on their site. And it was EXPENSIVE ($300 after shipping). On top of that, I couldn't return the damn thing or get my money back.

So from personal experience, I encourage you to avoid buying anything online (especially from China) that you can't see or try on in person.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I bought an infinity dress from The Dainty Yard on Etsy.  I was a little apprehensive because it was coming from overseas (Malaysia, maybe?), but it arrived super fast (I think 7 days after ordering?) and looked just fine, although the yellow (that was the BM dress color) was a little on the sheer side and needed to be worn with a slip.  Because of the nature of the dress/fabric, there wasn't a hem, but you couldn't even notice, plus it's supposed to flow instead of hanging straight.  The tube top that came with it was also a little on the smaller side, but that was kind of a bonus to have anyways and it still fit me so I didn't mind.  The tube top definitely wouldn't fit if you are over a size 10-12 though. 

• JC Penney and Target both have a large line of bridesmaid dresses that come in lots of colors and lengths.  The ones I've seen/purchased have been close to 100.  And girls can return them to stores/easily exchange sizes.  

I ended up getting all my BM's dresses from a department store clearance rack.  Long Calvin Klein evening gowns for 63 each.  If long and a certain color are your only requirements, I would suggest shopping department stores off the rack or clearance racks.  OR just give your girls the length and color and let them pick their own! 

• I wouldn't buy online from anywhere that doesn't also have a physical store. PPs mentioned JCP, Target, Calvin Klein. (I actually wore a BM dress from Target last year and it was only $50)

Sizing can be so hard to determine online unless they go by actual measurements. Also, a lot of the Chinese clothing stores on Etsy have a no return policy so then you could be stuck with it. I would stay far away from that if you can. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This may be a little late, but I found this shop on Etsy that I plan to use for my BM dresses, when that time comes:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/159223628/2015-mint-bridesmaid-dresslong-chiffon?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_search_query=mint+bridesmaid+dress&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_page=3&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

She's based out of San Diego and has a ton of great reviews. Very reasonably priced and can do basically any color/length. The dress in the link is the one I'd like for my BM's to order. It looks like she does custom orders too. 
  • That's a really cute shop! I'll definitely check that one out. Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosa said:
    I bought an infinity dress from The Dainty Yard on Etsy.  I was a little apprehensive because it was coming from overseas (Malaysia, maybe?), but it arrived super fast (I think 7 days after ordering?) and looked just fine, although the yellow (that was the BM dress color) was a little on the sheer side and needed to be worn with a slip.  Because of the nature of the dress/fabric, there wasn't a hem, but you couldn't even notice, plus it's supposed to flow instead of hanging straight.  The tube top that came with it was also a little on the smaller side, but that was kind of a bonus to have anyways and it still fit me so I didn't mind.  The tube top definitely wouldn't fit if you are over a size 10-12 though. 
    My girls ordered these same dresses in the Wine/Cabaret color. Shipped in 3 weeks and fit them perfectly. Definitely use their size recommendations, they have a plus size option. I love that the girls can wrap them in ways that flatter their body best and still be willing to wear it post wedding. It was $50 and nothing beats that price and versatility. It doesn't wrinkle so no need to iron/steam it, for my 5'9" girl, she still has enough material at the bottom to wear a small wedge and there is a significant hem that you can let out if you needed to.

The wine material wasn't sheer at all, might have just been the light yellow.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards