Attire & Accessories Forum

All Navy Bridal Party??

I'm having a very difficult time coming to a decision on Bridesmaid dresses. Its a mid-June wedding next year (so I still have some time to figure this out) and our colors are navy, peach and gold. The ceremony is in a church (2:30pm), and the reception is at a country club starting at 5pm. We're going for a very classic, timeless look for the wedding, and want it to feel formal without making the dress code black tie.

So here's the problem, the ONE thing my FI has asked for in all the wedding planning is that he and his guys wear navy suits. I'm going to let him have this one, but its making my job of choosing a color for the bridesmaids really difficult. For a while I was considering long chiffon pale blue dresses (bari jay misty blue), but I'm not loving that idea anymore. I'm also not a fan of the bridesmaids in any shade of peach. So that leaves us with Navy...

I'm in love with Alfred Sung's cocktail length dresses in midnight Dupioni... I'm thinking the texture of the fabric along with the sheen might make the appearance different enough that it wont be an overwhelming sea of navy? I want the flowers to pop, so I feel like that might break up the navy color as well?? We have 16 total in the bridal party so thats a lot of people in one color.

Help!

Re: All Navy Bridal Party??

• It will be fine. My guys had brown suits & the girls had brown satin dresses. Once you had the flowers, there was contrast between the bridal party members that it didn't look like a big navy blob. You can even add more color to your girls if their dresses allow for it by adding a peach sash.
  • emr616 said:
    I'm having a very difficult time coming to a decision on Bridesmaid dresses. Its a mid-June wedding next year (so I still have some time to figure this out) and our colors are navy, peach and gold. The ceremony is in a church (2:30pm), and the reception is at a country club starting at 5pm. We're going for a very classic, timeless look for the wedding, and want it to feel formal without making the dress code black tie.

So here's the problem, the ONE thing my FI has asked for in all the wedding planning is that he and his guys wear navy suits. I'm going to let him have this one, but its making my job of choosing a color for the bridesmaids really difficult. For a while I was considering long chiffon pale blue dresses (bari jay misty blue), but I'm not loving that idea anymore. I'm also not a fan of the bridesmaids in any shade of peach. So that leaves us with Navy...

I'm in love with Alfred Sung's cocktail length dresses in midnight Dupioni... I'm thinking the texture of the fabric along with the sheen might make the appearance different enough that it wont be an overwhelming sea of navy? I want the flowers to pop, so I feel like that might break up the navy color as well?? We have 16 total in the bridal party so thats a lot of people in one color.

Help!
    You can't dictate a dress code, so unless your event is truly black tie (meaning it meets all the requirements of a black tie event) you cannot state that it is black tie or dictate any other type of dress code.  They way you express the formality of the event is through the design of your invite and venue choice.

Your wedding is at 2:30 and I am guessing will be over with at 3:30, but your reception does not start till 5.  How far away is the church from the reception location?  Right now you have a 1.5 hour gap which is rude to your guests.  So say it takes a half hour to get from location A to B, you need to fill that hour gap with something hosted.  The easiest solution is to move up your reception and have it start at 4pm instead of 5pm.

As for your BM dress color.  I think you are overthinking this a bit too much.  Navy is a neutral and I don't feel like it will look like an overwhelming amount of navy if that is what the bridal party is going to wear.  Between the flowers and the white shirts (I am assuming) that the GMs will wear (heck they can even wear a peach colored tie to change things up a bit) it will help break up the navy.

• I did long navy chiffon dresses (they had very subtle gold beading on the straps) and all the guys wore navy suits with gold ties. Our bridal party pictures are fantastic and I've gotten lots of compliments on how sharp everyone looked.
  • Navy and navy look fine together. Plus, the only time you'll see the BMs directly standing right next to the GMs is when they walk down the aisle together (if you're even planning to do that). Don't forget that the BMs will be holding bouquets of flowers that will break things up. And the GMs will be wearing white shirts with their suits that will also break things up. 

However, if you don't like navy for the dresses, what about gold? I know you're going for classic, but that could be really fun and, in the right cut, I think it still could look classic. Here are some to consider:

Or you could always just go with a neutral like champagne or something.
    *********************************************************************************

• emr616emr616 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Thank you everyone for sharing your ideas/feedback! I'm feeling more confident in all Navy for the bridal party, but want to sleep on it a little more...

@southernbelle0915 I'm definitely going to check out gold dresses as an option! I've considered champagne but worry it won't look great on all my BMs

I understand some people like to provide unsolicited advice on every aspect of someone's wedding, however, I am only interested in hearing opinions on attire for the Bridal Party at this time.
  • At my wedding the guys wore navy suits and the girls wore navy blue dresses and it looked fine. I even added navy accents to my dress. 

Google search for images of "navy bridal party" (or similar searches) and you find many photos of all navy colored attire that looks good.  Especially if you are going to use different color flowers (or even white flowers), it shouldn't be too overwhelmingly blue. Or if you are too concerned about it being monotone, maybe do different shades of navy. Even slight variations in color tone make a difference visually.

• I think navy would look lovely- its very flattering and it will keep the formality level. You can add in touches of coral with the flowers, maybe the girls' shoes, and the ties/vests.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    emr616 said:
    Thank you everyone for sharing your ideas/feedback! I'm feeling more confident in all Navy for the bridal party, but want to sleep on it a little more...

@southernbelle0915 I'm definitely going to check out gold dresses as an option! I've considered champagne but worry it won't look great on all my BMs

I understand some people like to provide unsolicited advice on every aspect of someone's wedding, however, I am only interested in hearing opinions on attire for the Bridal Party at this time.
    If you tell us that you are going to rob a 7-11, we are going to advise you not to do it!
    The previous poster is entirely correct about you needing to host your guests during the gap.  It is rude to leave them on their own.  If you don't want opinions, don't post.
    Good for you for deciding against black tie!  Black tie weddings cannot be held in the afternoon.  They must begin at 6:00PM or later.  The suits will be fine.
    Everything about your wedding sounds very traditional, except the timing of the reception.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • emr616 said:

When you volunteer the information we are going to give our opinion on what we think.  If you don't want opinions on anything but your BM dress colors then why even provide the other information.  It was really irrelevant from your actual question.  But just like I can't tell you what to post (or not post), you can't tell others what you are only interested in hearing.  Your plans are rude to your guests.  And it is such an easy fix so that you eliminate your gap.  But I am guessing your evening reception vision is more important then leaving your guests standing around twiddling their thumbs for an hour. 

• I think it will look great actually! If you're worried you could get the BM's dresses that could accommodate a gold belt to break it up a little, gold shoes/accessories will also add some color. You could also put your MOH, if you have one, in gold to add more pop. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards