Chit Chat

Favorite appetizers?

I have dinners to go to Saturday night and Monday night and said I would bring appetizers for both. Any favorites? No picky eaters, will be about 5-6 people each night.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Favorite appetizers?

• I'm always a huge fan of hot spinach and artichoke dip with tortilla chips. 

Cheese and bread plate

bacon-wrapped anything 

flat breads 

bruchetta 

I'll keep thinking... (and lurking, because I've gotten some great app ideas from this board) 
  • edited July 2015
    Ditto bacon wrapped anything

Pigs in a blanket 

Anything combination of tomato, basil, and mozzarella 

My mom makes this amazing cracker spread: 

3 packs of Philedalphia Cream Cheese
    3 Green Onion Stalks chopped
    3 packs of Budding lunch meat brand beef, also chopped
    1 pinch of Accent seasoning

Roll it all into a ball, chill for a few hours and you're done. Takes me 15 minutes to make, tops. 

• I always love a good pasta salad.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • anjemonanjemon member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    Our group loves taco dip. That stuff disappears like crazy at parties. I also really like making a hot artichoke dip.

ETA: Tenses
  • I was going to suggest spinach dip and pigs and a blanket.  Looks like PPs have it covered.  

Puppy chow is a favorite in our crowd CLICKY 
    Rotel dip is also a personal favorite
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• It's a little time consuming   Mini BLT's

Cut the very bottom of a cherry tomato off so it sit flat.

cut off the top and scoop out the insides

Cook bacon and let it cool down.  Then chop it up in little pieces.  You can use a food processor.

In a bowl combine mayo and the bacon.  Do not use a food processor as the mayo will break down.

Put the mayo/bacon mixture in a pastry bag.  Or if you do not have one, use a zipblock bag and clip off one of the corners

Pipe the mixture in the tomato.

Top with some sort of green.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • My go-to appetizers are always cheese & crackers, or one of two dips: one is called "the dip" and it's basically swiss cheese, mayo, sour cream, and salt. So good. The other is beer dip. I just feel like I've made them both a lot recently so I am looking for some new suggestions! All above seem awesome!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Dips are my thing. I'm not allowed to go to parties without a dip of some kind.

BBQ bacon ranch dip is typically the favorite. I can give you the recipe if you want. It's delightful.

I also make a spicy sausage dip that's SUPER easy and really good. It's best if you have a little crock pot so you can keep it warm. I've also put this into little phyllo cups and it was a hit. It's just a package of spicy breakfast sausage, browned, then two bricks of cream cheese melted in and a can of spicy Rotel (or I use a few spponfuls of this super spicy salsa H likes for extra heat). 

Buffalo chicken dip is good and easy. I use Louisiana hot sauce so mine is Louisiana chicken dip. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Dips are my thing. I'm not allowed to go to parties without a dip of some kind.

BBQ bacon ranch dip is typically the favorite. I can give you the recipe if you want. It's delightful.

I also make a spicy sausage dip that's SUPER easy and really good. It's best if you have a little crock pot so you can keep it warm. I've also put this into little phyllo cups and it was a hit. It's just a package of spicy breakfast sausage, browned, then two bricks of cream cheese melted in and a can of spicy Rotel (or I use a few spponfuls of this super spicy salsa H likes for extra heat). 

Buffalo chicken dip is good and easy. I use Louisiana hot sauce so mine is Louisiana chicken dip. 
    I would love all those recipes!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hicoco said:
    lyndausvi, those look SO good
    They are.  DH makes them all the time at work.  HUGE hit.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • hicoco said:
    Dips are my thing. I'm not allowed to go to parties without a dip of some kind.

I would love all those recipes!!
    The BBQ bacon ranch is the best. 

Beat a brick of cream cheese with 8 oz. sour cream and a package of dry ranch dressing and spread on the bottom of a pie plate. 
    Squirt enough BBQ sauce to cover - I use Sweet Baby Ray's regular. A thick, sweet sauce is best. I use maybe a cup? I cover it with like 1/4-1/2 inch of BBQ sauce.
    Fry a package (12 oz or a pound or whatever) of bacon really crispy, crumble and spread on top of the BBQ sauce.
    The veggies are up to you, but I put a diced green pepper on top of the bacon and then an equal amount of green onions on top of that. The original recipe had tomatoes but I don't like tomatoes. 

Serve with good, thick tortilla chips. Thin ones will break. And assemble pretty close to when you're going to serve it or the bacon will get soggy. 

There's a thousand buffalo chicken dip recipes online, but I shred a rotisserie chicken, mix with a brick or two of cream cheese (depending on the size of the chicken), squirt in some ranch dressing and however much hot sauce I like. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Last time I hosted a get together, I made little meatballs in the crock pot and everyone loved them. I just bought a bag of frozen meatballs and added equal parts chili sauce and grape jelly.

My sister makes this awesome layered buffalo chicken dip, too. It's always a hit, especially with those tostito's scoop chips.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Last time I hosted a get together, I made little meatballs in the crock pot and everyone loved them. I just bought a bag of frozen meatballs and added equal parts chili sauce and grape jelly.

My sister makes this awesome layered buffalo chicken dip, too. It's always a hit, especially with those tostito's scoop chips.

Oh weird, I came here to suggest the crock pot meatballs.  I do mine substantially the same way -- 16oz of grape jelly, 16oz of your fav BBQ sauce, meatballs, simmer for 4-6 hours, doneskies. 

• My go to recipes:

Portabella Crab Rocjefeller, just use smaller mushrooms for more people.

Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Beer
  • The big hit in my family is this easy to assemble app:

I cut up thin slices of baguette, cover with chive and onion or herb cream cheese, roll up a slice of rare roast beef and top with a couple roasted red pepper slices. 

I just saw a similar recipe using goat cheese, prosciutto and cherry tomatoes that I plan to try for our next family dinner. 

This past weekend I made jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese and shredded cheddar, wrapped in bacon and baked. They were delicious and the perfect amount of spicy but I overstuffed and the filling all leaked out while they were baking so they weren't pretty. 
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    lyndausvi said:
    It's a little time consuming   Mini BLT's

Cook bacon and let it cool down.  Then chop it up in little pieces.  You can use a food processor.

In a bowl combine mayo and the bacon.  Do not use a food processor as the mayo will break down.

Put the mayo/bacon mixture in a pastry bag.  Or if you do not have one, use a zipblock bag and clip off one of the corners

as an aside.....cherry tomatoes still exist?  They are nowhere to be found near me.  I have been looking, but all we have are grape tomatoes.  I actually thought they replaced cherry tomatoes!
  • cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    I loove this bean dip:

1 can refried beans
    1 cup sour cream
    1 packet dry ranch mix 
    1 cup shredded cheese (more for the top)

Mix all the ingredients together and heat on the stovetop until the cheese is melted. Transfer to a dish, and top with some extra shredded cheese. It tastes great warm or cold. The dry ranch seasoning is the secret. I usually use a little bit less than a whole packet though, or it seems a bit salty to me. 

Pickle dip is also a hit with my friends (you have to like dill pickles though). 

Mix one package of cream cheese with a tsp. of worschershire (can't figure out the spelling lol), 2-3 tablespoons of dill pickle juice (to taste), and about a half of cup of diced dill pickles. Serve with potato chips. 
  • kaos16 said:
    lyndausvi said:
    It's a little time consuming   Mini BLT's

as an aside.....cherry tomatoes still exist?  They are nowhere to be found near me.  I have been looking, but all we have are grape tomatoes.  I actually thought they replaced cherry tomatoes!
    we have them here.  

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Crab salad in cucumber cups! 

It's a cinch to make, and it's so good. 
  • I'm a big fan of dates stuffed with blue cheese (or Gorgonzola) and wrapped with prosciutto. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • some yummy suggestions already!

I am a fan of dips too.  I like making a "7-layer" bean dip-- I typically use re-fried beans, sour cream, guacamole, cheese, olives and salsa-- my 7 was chicken, but I don't always use that.

brie cheese or cream cheese with a pepper jelly (trader joes has a really good jalapeno jelly that is really good--nice combo of sweet & spicy)  and crackers (I use wheat thins) is really good and easy too. 

Anniversary
  • My favorite appetizer was likely responsible for a 5lb weight gain a few summers ago: 

Bacon Jalapeno Poppers.

- Slice jalapenos in half length-wise and remove seeds (or not, if you like it hot; if you hate spicy, you can use mini sweet peppers instead)
    - Fill halves with cream cheese (you can dice up some green onions to mix in if you're feeling energetic)
    - Wrap each jalapeno half in one half piece of bacon (cut in two short strips, not lengthwise)
    - Insert toothpick to hold the bacon in place
    - Place poppers on a foil-lined pan (any kind works), and cook at 375* for 20-30 minutes (until bacon looks cooked and crispy)

Ugh, now I want poppers.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh, I thought of another family favorite.

Olive + Cream Cheese Spread.  Just chop up a handful or two of green olives (or toss them in a food processor, because who has time to chop olives...) and mix them with a fork into the cream cheese. Add and mix a couple dashes of tobasco sauce to taste. We usually use Rtz or Club crackers with this.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    Dips! I don't know anyone who doesn't like them. A super easy amazingly delicious one is the hot spinach dip recipe on the back of the Knorr Vegetable recipe mix package. So good! You can find it in the spice aisle with all the other packaged powdered sauce, gravy, soup, etc. mixes. Then just buy a baguette roll and cut it in thin slices or buy a box of crackers.
  • edited July 2015
    My go to, simple, in a hurry dip with shepards bread
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• ElcaB said:
    Crab salad in cucumber cups! 

It's a cinch to make, and it's so good. 
    This looks good.  And pretty!  I've pinned it to try sometime.
  • Broccoli salad square.

A base of Pillsbury crescent dough (two tins worth, baked into a big circle - if you have a pizza stone, it works well).  The sauce is mayo, a little vinegar, a little sugar, and some minced garlic.  Then toppings are chopped broccoli, red onion, green apple, bacon bits, and shredded parm cheese. 

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards