Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

NON-religious ceremonies and readings

FI and I come from very different religious backgrounds (very conservative christian, islam, and hindu)
FI and I are not religious and we do *NOT* want to have a religious ceremony.

I've been having a really hard time finding ceremony scripts and readings that aren't religious or aren't overly sappy and awkward.

I'd kind of like something sweet with humour.  i really want to be laughing and have it be entertaining but happy.  i feel like i'm being too difficult here! lol.

Do you have any recommended readings??

Thanks!! 

Re: NON-religious ceremonies and readings

• edited July 2015
    We are not having a religious ceremony either. My fiance chose "Maybe," (author unknown) for his reading and I chose a Dr. Seuss quote about falling in mutual weird with someone because we're always asking each other if we are weird.

I don't know if either of these meet your requirement for something humorous, bit there are LOTS of secular readings quotes- you just have Google and spend some time reading.

Good luck.
  • LOVE by Roy CroftI love you,Not only for what you are,But for what I amWhen I am with you.I love you,Not only for whatYou have made of yourself,But for whatYou are making of me.I love youFor the part of meThat you bring out;I love youFor putting your handInto my heaped-up heartAnd passing overAll the foolish, weak thingsThat you can’t helpDimly seeing there,And for drawing outInto the lightAll the beautiful belongingsThat no one else had lookedQuite far enough to find.I love you because youAre helping me to makeOf the lumber of my lifeNot a tavernBut a temple;Out of the worksOf my every dayNot a reproachBut a song.I love youBecause you have doneMore than any creedCould have doneTo make me good,And more than any fateTo make me happy.You have done itWithout a touch,Without a word,Without a sign.You have done itBy being yourself.

The Art of a Good Marriage by Wilferd Arlan PetersonA good marriage must be created.In marriage the “little” things are the big things.It is never being too old to hold hands.It is remembering to say, ”I love you” at least once a day.It is never going to sleep angry.It is having a mutual sense of values, and common objectives.It is standing together and facing the world.It is forming a circle that gathers in the whole family.It is speaking words of appreciation, and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways.It is having the capacity to forgive and forget.It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow.It is a common search for the good and the beautiful.It is not only marrying the right person — it is being the right partner.

Union by Robert FulghumYou have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes, to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making commitments in an informal way. All of those conversations that were held in a car, or over a meal, or during long walks – all those conversations that began with, “When we’re married”, and continued with “I will” and “you will” and “we will” – all those late night talks that included “someday” and “somehow” and “maybe” – and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding.
    The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “You know all those things that we’ve promised, and hoped, and dreamed – well, I meant it all, every word.”
    Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another – acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, even teacher, for you have learned much from one another these past few years. Shortly you shall say a few words that will take you across a threshold of life, and things between you will never quite be the same.
    For after today you shall say to the world –This is my husband. This is my wife.
  • I looove the Velveteen Rabbit bit often used at weddings, in which the Skin Horse describes becoming real. But that might be too sappy for you, and not particularly humorous.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FosmohFosmoh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I looove the Velveteen Rabbit bit often used at weddings, in which the Skin Horse describes becoming real. But that might be too sappy for you, and not particularly humorous.
    awe that's a cute idea.
    May be something sweet for our son to read 
  • We actually did the Velveteen Rabbit, but only because there was a line in there at that I thought described us perfectly.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Obergefell v Hodges has some nice passages to read.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards