Registry and Gift Forum

Trouble with Macy's registries?

I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble with Macy's registries in the past, specifically mixed up deliveries. Last week I received a pot and pan set I'd registered that was supposed to go to my mom's house instead of mine so she could gift it to me at my shower, and today I came home to a package that contained a maxi dress I definitely hadn't registered for, supposedly purchased by my aunt. I can't imagine she would have considered that a shower gift, so my guess would be that she had purchased it along with whatever she got from my registry, and Macy's accidentally sent it to me instead of her. Has anyone else had something similar happen? This is making me nervous about getting other gifts early, since I don't want people to be upset about me receiving things that they intended to give me at my shower, but I don't know how to correct it.

Re: Trouble with Macy's registries?

• edited July 2015
    I registered at Macy's and guests shipped most of my gifts to me.  I had no problem at all.  The only thing I can think of is that the buyer is clicking on your address instead of their own.  When you buy from a registry, it gives you the option to ship to the couple or ship to the purchaser.  You need to double check as the buyer to make sure you've selected the right one.  When I bought my cousin a shower gift, I wanted it to be shipped to my mom's house (which was close to the shower location) At one point during my order, I had three address options; my mom's, my home address (because its the billing address) and my cousin (because it was her registry).   It got a little confusing and at one point, I almost shipped to the wrong person. 

Is it possible your aunt was buying your shower gift and a dress to wear to the shower in the same order?  Is it possible she selected the dress to be shipped as a gift?  You can ship any item as a gift from Macys.com, you just have to put in the address?  

Ask your aunt and mom to check their order histories online.  

• I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble with Macy's registries in the past, specifically mixed up deliveries. Last week I received a pot and pan set I'd registered that was supposed to go to my mom's house instead of mine so she could gift it to me at my shower, and today I came home to a package that contained a maxi dress I definitely hadn't registered for, supposedly purchased by my aunt. I can't imagine she would have considered that a shower gift, so my guess would be that she had purchased it along with whatever she got from my registry, and Macy's accidentally sent it to me instead of her. Has anyone else had something similar happen? This is making me nervous about getting other gifts early, since I don't want people to be upset about me receiving things that they intended to give me at my shower, but I don't know how to correct it.
    This doesn't sound like a registry error.  This sounds like a user error.  I use amazon wishlists all the time, you can specify different addresses for the different items to ship to.  Like the PP said, sometimes you can have one order going to three different addresses; pots and pans to shower location, maxi dress to me, cool book as gift to other random person.
  • adk19 said:
    I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble with Macy's registries in the past, specifically mixed up deliveries. Last week I received a pot and pan set I'd registered that was supposed to go to my mom's house instead of mine so she could gift it to me at my shower, and today I came home to a package that contained a maxi dress I definitely hadn't registered for, supposedly purchased by my aunt. I can't imagine she would have considered that a shower gift, so my guess would be that she had purchased it along with whatever she got from my registry, and Macy's accidentally sent it to me instead of her. Has anyone else had something similar happen? This is making me nervous about getting other gifts early, since I don't want people to be upset about me receiving things that they intended to give me at my shower, but I don't know how to correct it.
    This doesn't sound like a registry error.  This sounds like a user error.  I use amazon wishlists all the time, you can specify different addresses for the different items to ship to.  Like the PP said, sometimes you can have one order going to three different addresses; pots and pans to shower location, maxi dress to me, cool book as gift to other random person.
    It's entirely possible it's user error, I just wanted to check to make sure this wasn't a common problem.

As for her purchasing the dress with the intention of me wearing it at the shower... I hope not. It's not my style at all, and since we're not particularly close, I'd doubt that was her intention. I'm seeing her for a different family party on Sunday, I'm going to bring it then and find a way to ask politely if it was sent to me in error. 
  • DH and I registered at Macy's and close friends of his parents purchased a few things online off of our registry with the intention of sending them to our home before the wedding (so they didn't have to schlep heavy gifts). In the same purchase, they ordered a vacuum for themselves - and specified in the order that the vacuum should be delivered to their house.

We received their vacuum and they got our pots and pans. Whoopsies.

We ended up making a trip down to their house for the exchange and also to have a laugh about it.

• adk19 said:
    It's entirely possible it's user error, I just wanted to check to make sure this wasn't a common problem.

As for her purchasing the dress with the intention of me wearing it at the shower... I hope not. It's not my style at all, and since we're not particularly close, I'd doubt that was her intention. I'm seeing her for a different family party on Sunday, I'm going to bring it then and find a way to ask politely if it was sent to me in error. 
    Bolded - I think it might be a common problem, but I'm also assuming it's common more so due to user error than Macy's.  My aunt ordered something off of our Macy's registry for my shower and emailed me to let me know that she accidentally shipped it to our apartment instead of herself.  My FMIL also did this with our West Elm registry for all of our china, but didn't even realize the mistake until we called to thank her and FFIL for it.  

I think it just gets confusing since there are multiple shipping address options, and if you aren't  particularly tech-savvy or very used to online shopping, it's probably easy to miss.  I think a lot of stores set the registrant's address as the default.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards