Wedding 911

4 and a half months till wedding, Attire Snafu

My wedding will be on December 5, 2015. My bridesmaids had mentioned that they might get cold in their strapless dresses (the wedding will be in Northern Arizona indoors but some photos will be taken outdoors.) I bought myself an ivory faux fur wrap for the day and thought it might be nice to buy them some similar wraps to keep from getting so cold and I thought it would be cute for us to match. I bought some inexpensive wraps on Etsy that only came in a "one size fits all" which is always a gamble but I thought it would be okay. The wraps arrived in the mail a couple weeks ago and they are way too small. I tried one on and it barely fit me and I have narrow shoulders, My bridesmaids are a little on the bigger side and have broad shoulders so when they tried them on, they didn't even come close to fitting. My question is, what should I do at this point? Should I try to return the wraps to the Etsy shop owner? Should I just cut my losses and forget the whole idea? Should we shop for new faux fur wraps? I considered having a skilled sewing friend/family member cut and stitch a bit to turn the current wraps into muffs to go over their hands instead. What do you ladies think? What is the easiest and quickest way to salvage this in time for December?

Re: 4 and a half months till wedding, Attire Snafu

• IMO the easiest solution is to not make them pose for pictures outside if it's cold. You and your future spouse, sure. But don't make the wedding party do it.
  • Well I would return the ones you bought and look for different ones.   You have plenty of time.

I was in a wedding in Philly in mid-Nov.   We just all threw on a pashmina for a few outdoor pictures.   

For my own wedding I gave my BMs ivory pashminas in case that got a chill.   They didn't needs them, but it was still an option.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • IMO - I'd try to return them if at all possible (be reasonable obviously such as paying shipping instead of the seller, some money back is better than being stuck with wraps that don't fit anyone!).  Remember it's "One size fits Nobody!" for the future... 

As a replacement, I'd opt for pashminas since there's a lot more flex on the colors/sizing and options for how they're worn.  It's Northern Arizona - not Northern Minnesota on December 5th so it's not likely to be that cold out.  And, like the PP said, your Wedding is in December, you've got time and tons of options right now!!! 

• Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    I am confused by all the questions.  The answer is easy.  You return the wraps that are too small and look for new ones.  You have 4.5 months until your wedding.  That is a shit load of time to find something else.

ETA:  There is really only 4.5 months till December?  Dammit!  That means it is going to be cold and crappy in no time :(

• I ordered Pashminas for my girls from Macys a few weeks before our end-of-March wedding just in case it was chilly. Morning of, it kind of was, and they opted to wear them. I think you are overthinking this b/c it doesn't seem complicated to figure out.  Yes, send the non-fitting ones back. Get simple Pashminas or shawls of some kind for them from a department store or don't have them outside taking pictures. You have plenty of time. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'm pretty sure some people plan their entire wedding in four and a half months.  I'm pretty sure you can find a couple shawls in that time.
  • adk19 said:
    I'm pretty sure some people plan their entire wedding in four and a half months.  I'm pretty sure you can find a couple shawls in that time.
    Hi!  I did that!  And I got my girls pashminas from Ardene for our outdoor pics.
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Thank you everyone for the helpful replies. I do like the idea of the shawls. I'll run that idea by my bridesmaids to see what they want to do. And I do have plenty of time to work this minor problem out. I was just freaking out initially because the wraps I bought are so ridiculously small. My bridesmaids were actually laughing at how small they are. They said that the only way that the wraps could fit is if they wear them higher up like on their necks rather than off the shoulders as intended and then they would get to look like Cruella DeVille! (We're all huge Disney fans.) We were all dying laughing.Thanks for keeping me sane knotties.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards