Wedding Woes
Options

Wednesday

Yesterday we survived the dentist and MIL.  Actually we had a good time with MIL.  The camera was away and she didn't attempt to parent over me AND she had some side eye comments about the golden son (not DH).  If she hadn't driven I'd think she was drunk.

We were short two pieces of paper for the building permit, but FIL is emailing them so we may get to go back Friday.  The bright side is we found that out while we were standing there and before we had paid our fee.

My boss gave me a new daily project, a new person to admin for, and asked if I would be interested in doing a few hours work for the people in the office next door.  My SIL has also asked if I'd do this sort of thing for her.  Hmmm, I'm starting to think about where this is going to take me. 

Re: Wednesday

• Options
    Today is the day we leave for the tournament.  I'm mostly ready.  I'll be able to get the rest of my stuff packed once the girls have been picked up.  I'm really not looking forward to being away from them but I know they'll have more fun with my parents.

• Options
    We lost a set of keys after we got home from vacation.  We have been going nuts trying to find them.  They have to be in the house somewhere.   After we looked for a really long time last night, DH was still harping on where they could be and I was just done.    We can order a new fob and key for the car for less than $50.  We have multiple house keys.  The other keys will turn up. (I know they're in the house because I drove home with them in the ignition and brought them in the house.)

School starts tomorrow.  Woohoo!  The bus comes over a half hour later this year than it did last year.  This means I can wake both the boys up at the same time. 

Between cashing in points for a gift card and clearance deals at American Eagle, I got the kiddo 3 shirts, a belt, and a pair of shorts for $27 shipped. 

OH and I'M GOING TO SEE JANET JACKSON!!  :D  She's coming in January a week after my bday. 
  • Options
    DH survived yesterday, fell asleep on the sofa while I was making dinner, and didn't wake up until the kids were going to bed.  So maybe he was cranky yesterday because he was overtired.  He has stopped referring to dropping DD at camp and picking her up as "hell week," so that's something.

Got a text from a good friend (and former BM) of mine last night:  she told her husband she wants a divorce in three years, when their youngest graduates high school.  Wow.  I'm not shocked-shocked, because she hasn't been happy with him in a while.  I guess I just thought if she was actually going to leave, she would have done it a long time ago, but I guess not.  She says she's not sad so much as resigned.  Part of me thought that a lot can change in three years, but she also says she told the kids, so she must be pretty serious.  We'll see.

Now our Wedding Curse is officially complete.  None of our wedding party and/or siblings are with the spouses/SO's they brought to our wedding.  (Well, technically BIL and SIL divorced and are now living together again, so they're sort of a gray area.)
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

Random- I have zero idea what to do with our new half bath.  I was cruising pinterest and ended up with all these bread recipes.  Now I want fresh bread for all of the jams I've made.  We'll be hitting the store for yeast.

For clarity- the SIL that wants me to work for her is not the annoying one.  It's my brother's wife that has a high end job with a lot of travel. 

• Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    Heff, Not that it's any of my business (it obviously is me being a bit judgy, sorry), but what is the point of waiting the 3 years if the kids are already in the know on it?
    Not shuffling their living situation, I get, but it's not like it's uprooting 4 year olds, a 15 year old adjusting to a healthy parent divorce dynamic seems like it might be less stressful than dealing w/ separated parents living in the same house.

Mmmm, fresh bread and jam.  sign me up.

I am covering (unexpectedly) for a co worker today to set up labs for tomorrow--I'll get home at 8:30, finish packing, get to my sister's house by 11ish...
    and I have to be at the airport by 4:30 AM.  (although, realistically how early do I have to be at a small airport for a domestic 5:30 am southwest flight?  I think 4:30 with assuming I get to the gate by 5:30 is reasonable-yes?  I am not an experienced flyer)
    I have to much luggage because bags fly free and so I have oodles of hand me down baby gear that I'm taking down in 'disposable' cheap luggage.  (all of my stuff is carryon only)

We have plans to explode a watermelon with rubber bands over the weekend...and I think the rest of the plans are fuzzy.

• Options
    GBCK said:

and I have to be at the airport by 4:30 AM.  (although, realistically how early do I have to be at a small airport for a domestic 5:30 am southwest flight?  I think 4:30 with assuming I get to the gate by 5:30 is reasonable-yes?  I am not an experienced flyer)

Usually the official boarding time is 30 minutes before the departure time, so is your 5:30 flight boarding at 5:30, or departing at 5:30?  If it's the latter, definitely get there before 5:30, or the flight will be closed.  In my experience, really small airports usually board 15-20 minutes before departure, despite the official boarding time printed on your boarding pass.  But if it's small, arriving at 4:30 should definitely get you through check-in and security by 5:00, no problem.

GBCK said:
    Heff, Not that it's any of my business (it obviously is me being a bit judgy, sorry), but what is the point of waiting the 3 years if the kids are already in the know on it?
    Not shuffling their living situation, I get, but it's not like it's uprooting 4 year olds, a 15 year old adjusting to a healthy parent divorce dynamic seems like it might be less stressful than dealing w/ separated parents living in the same house.
    I am really not sure.  We haven't had a chance to talk yet, so this is all speculation:  maybe she wants to give the kids time to adjust; their youngest has been dealing with depression and a tentative bipolar II diagnosis, so maybe she wants to let the dust settle on that (though in that case, I'd think she would hold off on saying anything).  Her parents are either divorced or legally separated and living in separate halves of a duplex (!), so although her plan sounds unusual to me, maybe it seems more normal to her?  I wish I had a better answer for you.

I feel badly for her husband:  he's a nice guy, but maybe not the best fit for her.  (I just finished re-reading Flight Behavior, and he is a total Cub, and she's very much a Dellarobia.) 

GBCK said:

We have plans to explode a watermelon with rubber bands over the weekend...and I think the rest of the plans are fuzzy.

HOW?!
  • Options
    @GBCK - as long as you get to the airport early enough to check your bags, you're probably fine with an hour or a little more for a small airport/domestic/super early flight. (confirm Southwest's limit on checked bags - usually you need to drop them off at least XXX amount of time before the flight - also keep in mind, they usually start boarding 15-20 minutes or so in advance of the flight time, so you really want to be at the gate by 5:15.) We do a lot of the super early flights out of Hobby (SW's Houston hub - a mid-sized airport) and we usually shoot for ~75-90 minutes before the flight - to allow for enough time to park, get to terminal, check bags, go through security, get food/drinks/use restroom. We also usually have a kid in tow, so things can tend to take a little longer. 

I led a training session for our team in Asia last night, so I'm off to a bit of a slow start today. I have a ton of meetings on Wednesdays, so my day will be dragging. On the plus side, my boss gave me verbal approval to plan a business trip or two this year, so I'll need to put together a formal "justification" request, and then can plan out my travel. I have friends/family in the few areas i'm trying to visit, so hopefully I'll get to meet up with them for dinner/drinks while I'm in town. 
  • Options
    I just realized all of this work I've been doing for an event this weekend is next weekend.  So now, I've got an event about 95% planned.  I need to finish one thing and get approval.  Probably for the best, but still somewhat annoying.

Barbie you can see all the rubber band watermelon stuff on Youtube.  It's highly entertaining.
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    I just realized all of this work I've been doing for an event this weekend is next weekend.  So now, I've got an event about 95% planned.  I need to finish one thing and get approval.  Probably for the best, but still somewhat annoying.

Barbie you can see all the rubber band watermelon stuff on Youtube.  It's highly entertaining.
    ^^^Huh? I didn't mention the watermelon thing - I've seen those before. Hooray for physics. You can use gumbands to pop open security tags, too. (I learned about it during a loss prevention talk in a retail job - neat stuff.)
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    It departs at 5:30, so I'm thinking setting the alarm for 4, so arriving at the airport by 4:20ish should do it.  I'll check the checked bag stuff, thanks.
    (I am totally sleeping on sis's floor in the same pants I will wear for flying because this is all ridiculously early; I am an idiot re: planning flights)
    This flight is JUST ME, so I just have to drop off shit and make it to the gate--and I don't care where I sit or have to tell someone to get her wiggles out pre-boarding, so, yay.

For some reason I never saw the watermelon rubber band foolishness until now.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK8dsAeMmPk
    BIL's daughter saw me post on it and thought it was awesome, so BIL has promised us watermelon and rubber band I and have promised to sit w/ a tween and rubberband stretch for hours for everyone's entertainment :)
  • Options
    Oops, Heffa.  All the posts were running together.
  • Options
    those guys probably should have been wearing goggles. 
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2015
    ok, i'm addicted. this is fantastic 

• Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    I know, I totally have one of thsoe balloons that I'm considering swiping from a work cupboard to do soemthing creatively awful with :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards