Attire & Accessories Forum

SHOCKING: I bought a dress!

I went dress shopping yesterday, with absolutely no intentions of buying…and then I fell in love with a clearance gown at David’s Bridal, but couldn’t afford it and couldn’t ask my mom because she hasn’t gotten the experience of going dress shopping with me, and because she’s paying, I want her to have that…so I asked if there was anything similar in the $99 section, because that I could do myself and not feel guilty if I found another dress with my mom, and there was one dress that fit my vision, and only 3 of them left, with one being my size.

I tried it on, and even when we were just putting it on I got the feels…and then I saw it on. I loved it even more than the one I couldn’t afford, my roommate and consultant agreed, it made me feel beautiful, classy and bridal, and it fit me like a glove — the only alterations it’ll need are hemming and a bustle! The consultant said she has never seen someone who fits into size 10 dresses like I do [perfectly] without even needing the straps adjusted, and she’s been at DB for over 20 years!

The dress is super plain, simple and classy, and I’ll dress it up some with a blingy belt and maybe have some flowers put along the hem, and of course, wear a hoop skirt…but wow. Who would’ve thought I’d buy a dress! My roommate and I went just to play dress up (although she found her dress too).

I don’t have any pics of me in it, I’ll have to ask my roommate if she does — she should…but here’s a stock photo.

image image

Re: SHOCKING: I bought a dress!

• I went dress shopping yesterday, with absolutely no intentions of buying…and then I fell in love with a clearance gown at David’s Bridal, but couldn’t afford it and couldn’t ask my mom because she hasn’t gotten the experience of going dress shopping with me, and because she’s paying, I want her to have that…so I asked if there was anything similar in the $99 section, because that I could do myself and not feel guilty if I found another dress with my mom, and there was one dress that fit my vision, and only 3 of them left, with one being my size.

I tried it on, and even when we were just putting it on I got the feels…and then I saw it on. I loved it even more than the one I couldn’t afford, my roommate and consultant agreed, it made me feel beautiful, classy and bridal, and it fit me like a glove — the only alterations it’ll need are hemming and a bustle! The consultant said she has never seen someone who fits into size 10 dresses like I do [perfectly] without even needing the straps adjusted, and she’s been at DB for over 20 years!

The dress is super plain, simple and classy, and I’ll dress it up some with a blingy belt and maybe have some flowers put along the hem, and of course, wear a hoop skirt…but wow. Who would’ve thought I’d buy a dress! My roommate and I went just to play dress up (although she found her dress too).

I don’t have any pics of me in it, I’ll have to ask my roommate if she does — she should…but here’s a stock photo.

image image

I am glad you found the dress you love.  You said that you couldn't afford it.  How are you planning to pay for it?
    Playing dress up in a bridal salon isn't a very nice thing to do, though.  If you have no intention of buying a wedding dress, you shouldn't be taking up the consultant's time.  It is also hard on the samples.  In your case, it seems to have worked out.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • No, she said she couldn't afford the first dress she wanted but she could afford the $99 version.  I agree about playing dress up though.

• edited August 2015
    I was planning on having my aunt make me a replica of a dress which is why I had to go try things on, to know what I wanted her to make for me because sometimes things look great in magazines or on the hangar and terrible on your body. 

Yeah, it sucks for the store not getting any credit, but when you can get something for half the price or less, and custom made, it's hard not to just be "playing dress up."
  • I was planning on having my aunt make me a replica of a dress which is why I had to go try things on, to know what I wanted her to make for me because sometimes things look great in magazines or on the hangar and terrible on your body. 

Yeah, it sucks for the store not getting any credit, but when you can get something for half the price or less, and custom made, it's hard not to just be "playing dress up."
    I know what you were planning on doing.  Using them for their stock and using the shop workers' time with no intent to buy is rude. 

• edited August 2015
    Viczaesar said:
    I was planning on having my aunt make me a replica of a dress which is why I had to go try things on, to know what I wanted her to make for me because sometimes things look great in magazines or on the hangar and terrible on your body. 

I know what you were planning on doing.  Using them for their stock and using the shop workers' time with no intent to buy is rude. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How else was I supposed to know what I liked and what looked good on my body? It's not like I had ever put on a wedding dress before I got engaged.

• Pics of me in the dress. I know there's weird lumpage on the side because we didn't fluff it out all the way, but here it is.

• AW3380 said:

I don't see how what you did is rude.  I worked in retail for many years, several in a specialty maternity store and people trying on items and not buying is the risk of retail.  It would be no different if she were to be able to buy the exact dress at another salon because it was less expensive.  I am going to try on gowns this weekend and have made appointments at a couple salons.  There is a good chance I will walk out of each not purchasing anything eventhough a consultant spent time helping me.  I'm sorry, that is part of their job!  I could understand playing dress up is rude when you are not in the market for a wedding dress, but that was not the case here.

Except that she WASN'T in the market for a wedding dress.  It's a fluke that she found a dress and actually bought it.  What she was looking for was to take advantage of the bridal shop's stock and the salespeople's time.  It's just like people who take advantage of the open stock at places like Best Buy and Staples to try out new computers and other gear with no intention of buying the item at that location.  At least then they're not taking up appointments that could be used by people actually planning on buying something. 

• Viczaesar said:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How else was I supposed to know what I liked and what looked good on my body? It's not like I had ever put on a wedding dress before I got engaged.

How is it their problem that you want to have a replica dress made and didn't know what dress to have copied?

• Viczaesar said:
    Viczaesar said:

How is it their problem that you want to have a replica dress made and didn't know what dress to have copied?

It's not their "problem"...and it's their job to help brides find their dresses. You wouldn't get a dress without trying it on, would you? I don't buy any clothes without trying them on unless it's the exact same thing as something I already own but in a different color.
  • Viczaesar said:
    Viczaesar said:

It's not their "problem"...and it's their job to help brides find their dresses. You wouldn't get a dress without trying it on, would you? I don't buy any clothes without trying them on unless it's the exact same thing as something I already own but in a different color.

I think the point that viczaesar is making is that, while yes, their job is to help brides find gowns, you had no intention of buying one. Their job is really to help brides find dresses when theres a chance that they'll get paid for it. I'm willing to bet that a lot of these consultants work on commission, and it's one thing to go and take their time with the intention to purchase, and then not find anything. It's a differnt thing to go knowing that you aren't going to buy anything. You're never under any obligation to buy, but if you're not seriously looking to make a purchase you are taking time away from someone who does want to buy a dress and potentially taking money out of the consultants pocket, especially if you have an appointment.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • She did end up making a purchase so really the issue is moot.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• AW3380 said:

She did end up making a purchase so really the issue is moot.

• Hahaha @emmaaa I thought of the same thing as I was posting it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I deserve to try on gowns just like everyone else. Like I said, you wouldn't buy a dress without trying it on first, would you? And how many brides go to multiple salons and have multiple appointments and don't buy or end up buying online? It's pretty common from what I've seen on boards.
  • That dress looks amazing on you. Great find!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2015
    emmaaa said:

AW3380 said:

She did end up making a purchase so really the issue is moot.

@AW8830 It is a good discussion for lurkers to learn from though. This worked out, by chance, for that consultant.

Fact is, OP was intending to find a dress for a relative to copy at a lesser price. If things had gone according to plan OP would have walked out without spending a dime, while that consultant gets nothing for the time they spent with her and no chance of a future sale. I find it a little rude.

People shop at multiple stores before buying but I don't think most go in without thinking they may end up with a dress from that store. Maybe not that day- you might go back months later after you've been to 3 other stores, but you go back- because there was always the possibility of buying in the first place.

Her intent was to use this store's resources and the consultant's time even though there was no chance in her mind of buying. Hell, she said it herself; it's why the purchase is "SHOCKING" in her mind- she never intended to buy. To me, that's what makes this different than your typical bride who shops around.

ETA: words
  • I deserve to try on gowns just like everyone else. Like I said, you wouldn't buy a dress without trying it on first, would you? And how many brides go to multiple salons and have multiple appointments and don't buy or end up buying online? It's pretty common from what I've seen on boards.
    Nobody deserves to try own gowns.  You wanting to see what kind of dress looks good on you does not absolve you of taking advantage of the store.  One of the consequences of having someone make a dress for you is that you don't get to try on various dresses at other establishments and see what you like best.  Using a brick and mortar's collection to figure out what to have your aunt copy for you is ethically dubious at best.  But @FeelyToBe said it much better than I am.

• edited August 2015
    Eh, think what you want. Doesn't make a difference in my life. The way I do things may not be theknot approved or proper etiquette or whatever, but it's my business. I know my ways are unpopular here, but that's just going to have to be the case.
  • We will have to agree to disagree here.  I am with sunshine.  I worked for several years in a maternity store.  I would pull clothing for every woman who came in the store to try on.  Many times they would walk out of the fitting room and not buy a thing.  I would spend a good amount of time checking on them, retrieving additional sizes, giving opinions, etc.  That was my job and I had to do it even if they were just there to browse and try stuff out.  Yes it sucks when you are the sales person but its all part of the job.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I think this is actually the reason why stores don't take steps to discourage playing dress up. They want all those people who are just looking to come in and have a good experience, because more of them wind up buying than you think.
  • Eh, think what you want. Doesn't make a difference in my life. The way I do things may not be theknot approved or proper etiquette or whatever, but it's my business. I know my ways are unpopular here, but that's just going to have to be the case.

Then why do you bother to continue posting? Are you simply trying to create drama and arguments?

You apparently know that no one is going to "approve" your (terrible) ideas and actions, so why waste your time?

• ajRN519 said:
    Eh, think what you want. Doesn't make a difference in my life. The way I do things may not be theknot approved or proper etiquette or whatever, but it's my business. I know my ways are unpopular here, but that's just going to have to be the case.
    Then why do you bother to continue posting? Are you simply trying to create drama and arguments? You apparently know that no one is going to "approve" your (terrible) ideas and actions, so why waste your time?

----------------------------------------------------

Sorry I don't live up to your ridiculous standards.
  • I worked in a jewelry store many years ago.  It was really annoying for me to spend my time with a giggling group of teenagers who wanted to try on engagement rings "for fun" while a real customer waited patiently.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• ajRN519 said:

Then why do you bother to continue posting? Are you simply trying to create drama and arguments?

You apparently know that no one is going to "approve" your (terrible) ideas and actions, so why waste your time?

----------------------------------------------------

Sorry I don't live up to your ridiculous standards.
    Ha! Yes, the standards I hold, the ones in which I don't disrespect another person's time or money, don't disrespect the guests of my wedding, don't disrespect someone else's culture, are all RIDICULOUS! But, hey, why are you even sorry? After all, it "doesn't make a difference in your life" what anyone else thinks of your disrespectful lack of etiquette.

• I've worked retail. A LOT of retail. I know how it goes. I understand the pressure to sell and to meet sales goals and quotas. And to be taken away from tasks that absolutely must be done by a certain deadline to deal with customers. I was a manager at Sears among other retail jobs.

I don't disrespect people's time or money. Like I said, I deserve to try on gowns just as much as the next girl, especially since my wedding is so far away no one is expecting me to buy, they understand it's a first look situation. I don't disrespect my guests, and I most certainly don't disrespect other's cultures.

But I obviously don't fit in here because I've got a different style than y'all do, and that's okay.
  • I've worked retail. A LOT of retail. I know how it goes. I understand the pressure to sell and to meet sales goals and quotas. And to be taken away from tasks that absolutely must be done by a certain deadline to deal with customers. I was a manager at Sears among other retail jobs.

I don't disrespect people's time or money. Like I said, I deserve to try on gowns just as much as the next girl, especially since my wedding is so far away no one is expecting me to buy, they understand it's a first look situation. I don't disrespect my guests, and I most certainly don't disrespect other's cultures.

But I obviously don't fit in here because I've got a different style than y'all do, and that's okay.
    But you clearly disrespect a designer's right to their creations. You were going to have your aunt recreate someone else'es work.

But you clearly disrespect a designer's right to their creations. You were going to have your aunt recreate someone else'es work.

Not entirely. I was going to have her make me a custom dress with ideas from designers. People do that all the time. It's not like it was going to be an exact replica. Maybe one style top with another bottom, my own lace or bling pattern etc. It wasn't going to be a knockoff, it was going to be an original.

Again, NO ONE deserves to try on gowns, much less gowns that are owned by someone else.  This is not something you have a right to, and thinking that you do is gross.

• Viczaesar said:
    I've worked retail. A LOT of retail. I know how it goes. I understand the pressure to sell and to meet sales goals and quotas. And to be taken away from tasks that absolutely must be done by a certain deadline to deal with customers. I was a manager at Sears among other retail jobs.

Again, NO ONE deserves to try on gowns, much less gowns that are owned by someone else.  This is not something you have a right to, and thinking that you do is gross.

That's ridiculous. Every bride deserves to try on gowns. Why would she not, unless she's not wearing one? I don't know a single person who would buy a wedding dress without trying it on. Hell, I know people who won't even buy a t-shirt without trying it on!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards