Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invitation Wording Help

So when I did my invitations, I wasn't really thinking about the way it was worded. It says, "Jane Doe and John Doe together with their parents request the honor of your presence at the celebration of their marriage."

Now I'm feeling like this makes it sound like we are already married and are just having a reception. We are not already married and we are having a ceremony and a reception both of which every guest was invited to. 
However, it does say on our invitations that there will be a cocktail hour and reception following the ceremony. Our guest list is just family and very close friends, so everyone does know that we are not yet married. 

The invitations have already gone out so there's nothing I can do about it now. But should I have used different wording, or is this okay?

Re: Invitation Wording Help

• Well, it is too late to make any changes.  I wish you had consulted us earlier.  I'm sure things will work out.  Best wishes.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Unless you want to pay for new ones you're stuck with them. Yes, if I saw the same last name I would assume you were already married.
  • Unless you want to pay for new ones you're stuck with them. Yes, if I saw the same last name I would assume you were already married.
    This. Also, the wording of "celebration of their marriage" tells me you are already married and we are just having a party. 
  • It definitely reads that way. Either don't worry about it or have them reprinted.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Just out of curiosity when you say the invitations have already gone out do you mean you've already mailed them to guests or had them printed? 

It does read that way but  if it's the former well you said that your guest list is just family and close friends so I wouldn't worry about it. If it's the latter I'd probably reprint them but I wouldn't fault you for not doing so. Chances are this is something you'll laugh about later and won't be a big deal. We still kind of laugh that my FSIL's invites didn't actually mention that it was for a wedding, it just said we request your presence on etc.... After we mailed ours my FI freaked and was like oh no I forget does ours say it's a wedding we'll never hear the end if we did that too!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    This would have been the correct wording::

Together with their parents
    Jane Ann Doe
    and
    John James Smith
    request the honour of your presence (church wedding)
    as they are united in marriage
    Day, date
    time o'clock
    Church Name written in full
    Address
    City, State

If you are not having a church wedding, then you should not use "request the honour of your presence", because that is for church weddings only.  You would "request the pleasure of your company" if it is anywhere but a house of worship.
    If your reception is to be in a different location than your ceremony, you should use a separate reception card.  It does not describe the refreshments or food or entertainment.

Reception
    time
    Any Country Club
    Address
    City, State

I'm not really sure why you posted if it is too late to make corrections.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards