Wedding 911

Bridesmaid Dress Help

Hi Knotties - This isn't really a huge 911 dilemma but I was unsure where else to post.

I went in October 2014 for my November 2015 wedding to look at bridesmaids dresses because my sister, who is the MOH, lives in Denver and I live in NY. She was visiting and it was important to me to go with her. Anyway, we picked out a dress but obviously didn't order then as it was super early. They recommended we order by March/April to have the dresses in by September of this year. So all the BMs got fitted in February and the orders were placed in March (so I was told).

Fast forward to Monday, when I called to check when they were supposed to be in. The consultant I worked with apparently left, and I was given to a manager. My dresses aren't scheduled to be in until the 3rd week of October for my November 7th wedding (unclear if the order wasn't placed when they told me or if the designer is taking a long time). This is (hopefully) enough time for most of my BMs to get any alterations done, however, they aren't sure if they can expedite the last dress to my sister in Denver. SO my question is, do you think I should get a backup dress for her just in case or wait and see what's going to happen? I don't want to freak out and blow this out of proportion, I just want to have a plan.

Thanks!

Re: Bridesmaid Dress Help

• I would have your sister find a similar dress just in case the dress she ordered does not come in on time.  She may even be able to find the same dress on ebay or somewhere else online.

I would talk to the salon and ask when the order was placed because you were told to order in March to have the dresses by September and followed through with that and are now wondering what went wrong.

• And since your sister is your MOH it won't even seem odd that she is in a slightly different dress since many times MOH's wear something slightly different from the rest of the BMs.

• Maggie is wise.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Thanks @Maggie0829 that's exactly what I'm going to do!
  • I don't see why they can't overnight the dress to your sister in Denver once it arrives, and she can have the alterations done there.  

And, I would expect them to do that for free since it's taking so long.  My wedding dress didn't even take that long to come in.
    Married 9.12.15
  • @julieanne912 I know, it is kind of ridiculous, I'm hoping they'll do it for free. They said they "had to check" about overnighting....I got my wedding dress from the same place and they were great so hopefully this is just a fluke.
  • missa011 said:
    @julieanne912 I know, it is kind of ridiculous, I'm hoping they'll do it for free. They said they "had to check" about overnighting....I got my wedding dress from the same place and they were great so hopefully this is just a fluke.
    Geeze, what's there to check for overnighting?  Dress shows up at the store, they fold it up, put it in a box, take it to fedex and ups, pay them, and boom!  If they say they can't do it they're full of crap.
    Married 9.12.15

• missa011 said:
    @julieanne912 I know, it is kind of ridiculous, I'm hoping they'll do it for free. They said they "had to check" about overnighting....I got my wedding dress from the same place and they were great so hopefully this is just a fluke.
    Geeze, what's there to check for overnighting?  Dress shows up at the store, they fold it up, put it in a box, take it to fedex and ups, pay them, and boom!  If they say they can't do it they're full of crap.
    The bolded pretty much sums up dealing with most bridal shops and should be an automatic assumption.  It's unfortunate that people don't realize this ahead of time so they don't get pushed around.  It'll be best for you to contact the shop, say you need the dresses soon as possible, call when they're in, then you turn around and get the dress shipped priority/overnight to your MOH (the shop will charge you far more than just running over to the USPS will) or you have someone lined up as soon as she gets in town to do the alterations quickly since hopefully it's just a hem.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards