Wedding Invitations & Paper

First Names Only

The wedding Invitation I would like  only has room for first names of the bride and groom. There is a space above for names of host, however the bride and groom are hosting. 
At the top it will say "The pleasure of your company is requested at the marriage of". 
Is this OK for our intimate wedding  of close family and friends? Everyone knows who we are. We don't have to  have our last names on it, right? I've attached an example.

Re: First Names Only

• IMO, I think first names are just fine.  

In case there is any confusion then just make sure that your last names are listed on the return address and you should be fine.

• If your wedding is informal and so intimate that everyone knows who you are, then I think it's fine.

For a more formal wedding, or with more guests, then I'd use last names.

• Jen4948 said:

If your wedding is informal and so intimate that everyone knows who you are, then I think it's fine.

For a more formal wedding, or with more guests, then I'd use last names.

Well it's not a black tie event, so we should be good! Thanks for the clarification.
  • Our invitations only used first names and I didn't hear about any confusion. Just for reference, we had a pretty laid back wedding and invited 135 people. I'd say go for it!
  • The wedding Invitation I would like  only has room for first names of the bride and groom. There is a space above for names of host, however the bride and groom are hosting. 
    At the top it will say "The pleasure of your company is requested at the marriage of". 
    Is this OK for our intimate wedding  of close family and friends? Everyone knows who we are. We don't have to  have our last names on it, right? I've attached an example.
    I first looked at it and thought it looked ridiculous.  But then I thought about it a little more.  I don't like or use my middle name and would rather not have it plastered all over invitations everywhere.  Also my first name is fairly different even though FH's is very common, so maybe it'd be okay.  I really like my last name though, so it's probably not right for me.  But I don't think it looks ridiculous anymore.

Not a glowing recommendation, but I say go ahead.
  • Agree with others that it shouldn't cause any confusion, unless there are other couples in your circles with the same names or maybe if you're inviting some distant relatives who may not think of you right away. If your last names are on the return address there is no problem at all.

So if this is the look you want I say go for it. Just wanted to note that if you feel forced into it because of the default invitation you can always contact the company behind it to request adjustments. Like in that example, the designer could add your middle/last names in smaller font under the first names. You're paying for 'em so make sure you ask for exactly what you want!
  • It isn't traditional.  I'm not a fan.  You can do it if you really want to.  The design of that invitation isn't at all my taste.  To each her own.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Agree with others that it shouldn't cause any confusion, unless there are other couples in your circles with the same names or maybe if you're inviting some distant relatives who may not think of you right away. If your last names are on the return address there is no problem at all.

So if this is the look you want I say go for it. Just wanted to note that if you feel forced into it because of the default invitation you can always contact the company behind it to request adjustments. Like in that example, the designer could add your middle/last names in smaller font under the first names. You're paying for 'em so make sure you ask for exactly what you want!
    Noooooo!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • How is that worse than the first names on their own?

It would look awful, IMO.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  •   I really love this invitation. I have a lot of time to decide and maybe something new will come along before March. I am not a  tradition stickler  so I can bend on this  rule.
  • I wouldn't do it (not a fan of the invitation either, but I lean towards more traditional styles), but I see no harm in it.  I'd just make sure to include your last name(s) on the return address label.
  • I hope your names are not Jennifer and Mike, because if you have common names it could be very confusing. If you really think everyone will know who you are, go for it. I'm personally not a fan. 

The first names work in the example, because the hosts are presumably the couple's parents, so they have the same last name. It wouldn't work if the hosts had different last names than the couple getting married. 

Because it would look like you are trying to squeeze in another name because it was an after thought.  Basically it will look like you are fighting the design of the invite, which you are by wanting to add in the middle name in smaller font below the first name.

And OP I only used first names in our invites.  No one got confused, but then again we were the only couple with those names in our large group of families and friends.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards