Wedding Woes

what's on the menu? jerkiness.

Dear Amy:

My best friend has a special birthday coming up. He has invited friends to a special dinner. This invitation includes myself, other individuals and some couples. Some are people I know, and some are not.

My dilemma is that he did not invite my partner. My partner has known him and his wife as long as I have. Other couples on the guest list include people with whom we have all socialized many times.

Initially I thought her name was left off by mistake, so I called him. He explained that there was no mistake; he was inviting only people with whom he felt especially close. He said he did not include her in that category. He said there were also some other couples where he had only invited one of the partners.

My partner was devastated by being left out and I feel in a terrible quandary about whether to attend. On one hand I respect and like him so much I feel honored to be invited at all, but on the other I feel my partner’s pain and I am also hurt that she was left out.

I feel torn two ways — but I am leaning toward not attending.

Can you offer any advice to me and comment on the propriety, or lack of it, in this situation? — Torn

Re: what's on the menu? jerkiness.

• While I can't imagine my best friend doing this, if he did, I'd give him a damn piece of my mind.

I also wouldn't attend.  
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2015
    if bff is inviting, bff is buying. i would attend, and order one meal for me and one to go for dh.
  • If she's already said her peace, then her feelings have been made known.  If she's not the only person whose SO isn't invited, if she's available, go...  If she's butt-hurt offended about it, then don't go...  Though Miss Manners wouldn't be too happy about the non-SO invite, this is the real world, it happens, deal with it. 

I guess both DH & I have friends that if we go over to their place together one of us is going to have the expression of "watching paint dry is more entertaining" - in which case, I'm not afraid to tell DH to "go and have fun!" ... Time together is just as important as time apart...

• I think this is just so rude.  I don't expect couples to be inseparable--there are plenty of times that DH does things with friends w/o me or v.v.  But if some SOs are invited and others aren't, that's just really shitty hosting/friending/overall manners.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards