Wedding Woes

this is not about the dog.

Dear Amy: My wife and I will soon be first-time grandparents because our son and his wife are expecting. The problem is their dog.

When they met, his then-girlfriend had a "rescue" dog. As far as I can tell, this dog is vicious and completely out of control.

My son has been bitten at least twice, and the only times I have ever gotten close to the dog, it attacked me. When company comes over, the dog is locked in the garage.

Our concern is what happens when they bring the baby home. "Oh, she's just territorial" is the excuse we hear. Territorial? Wait until a new pet human shows up.

They have several nieces, ranging in age from 1 to 6. We live several states away. Would it be reasonable to ask for photos of the dog playing with the nieces as proof that this dog is safe with children?

We've also considered calling the other grandparents, but everyone spends all their energy keeping my son's wife as happy as she can be.

We have talked about calling child welfare if it appears they plan to let the new baby and the dog live in the same house.

If we do that, it would certainly destroy any future relationship, but someone has to have some sense.

— Grandparent Prepared to Call Family Services

Re: this is not about the dog.

• How badly have you screwed up your parenting if you think your adult-child is going to feed your grandbaby to a dingo?

Seriously, what sort of rock does she think her son lives under, that he's totally unaware that Fluffy might maul Buffy?
  • hmonkey said:

Would it be reasonable to ask for photos of the dog playing with the nieces as proof that this dog is safe with children?

WHAT.
  • tawillers said:
    hmonkey said:

Would it be reasonable to ask for photos of the dog playing with the nieces as proof that this dog is safe with children?

WHAT.
    ^^^^THIS. That will make for some Thanksgiving awkwardness. "So thanks for letting SON use your kid to find out if DOG will kill BABY. Glad he didn't!" (or "Oops, sorry about that, but at least it wasn't MY Grand-kid. How are little Susie's skin grafts taking?").

hasn't mauled the decoy kid, send in the ones we care about!  Start with those with least litigious parents!

• "We've also considered calling the other grandparents, but everyone spends all their energy keeping my son's wife as happy as she can be."

IOW, no one is willing to match our level of insanity.  If it seems like "everyone" is spending "all" their energy on this, maybe the problem isn't with everyone, it's probably you.
  • GBCK said:

hasn't mauled the decoy kid, send in the ones we care about!  Start with those with least litigious parents!

I can't believe you revealed Kuus' full face on TK!!!
  • hmonkey said:

We've also considered calling the other grandparents, but everyone spends all their energy keeping my son's wife as happy as she can be.

23 words and a) there's the reason for the letter and b) their feelings about/relationship with their DIL completely summed up.  Definitely not about the dog. 

And yes, calling CPS will ruin any chance they have of ever seeing their son or grandkids again. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards