Wedding Woes

The Discontinued Dress

Hi Ladies!  I found a picture of my dream dress, I knew when I saw it that it was "THE ONE."  I've recently come to find that the dress was discontinued in January of this year and is not available for me to try on anywhere near me (insert sad face here).  I did learn, from the parent company that makes the dress, that I can still order the dress directly from them at a deeply discounted price putting it well below my dress budget.  Did anyone here purchase a dress that they had only seen, but not tried on?  I've tried on my second choice, but in my heart I wanted to try on the other dress.  I'm hesitant to buy it because (gasp) what if I don't like it?  The dress is 'ALL SALES FINAL' at this point.   

Re: The Discontinued Dress

• Not for a wedding dress, but for my otherwise favorite dress, a BCBG Max Azria red gown that I LOVE.  I saw it in the store at $350 and wasn't in the market for a dress at the time.  By the time I was, it was discontinued and out of the stores, so I emailed the company & got it shipped to me for $175!  One of my best ever purchases.

If you really know yourself and what different styles look like on you, or if you can find a similarly-styled/shaped dress to try on and it's good... maybe go for it.  As long as you can get alterations to make sure it fits right, and we're not talking about some cheapo knock off from China, I think I'd go for it.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • Maybe try one a similar shape dress from that parent company to get an idea of size fitting.
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    Just for dress shopping in general, I think LD1970 is right in that it can work out fine if you frequently wear dresses in general and you have a very good sense of your body and what styles look good on you. I frequently purchase dresses for all occasions online and am rarely disappointed, but I tried on a lot of different things in person to really have a good sense of what works with my body type and what doesn't and when I purchase online I go based on measurements only, never just by size. I also made friends with a very good tailor.

If you aren't that sure, then find a store and try on similar styles and other dresess from the same manufacturer to get a good sense of how well it might work.
  • Yes, I have - if you can, try on a similar cut of dress, but if not, if you're set on the dress and it's well below your budget, your heart is set on that one, go for it, just make sure you order it in the right size! If you absolutely hate it when you get it, then you were under budget or you say "this is the dress I wanted, I can have a nicer bouquet of flowers and headpiece/veil to go with it!" 

My 10th Anniversary dress I did this for - and the only thing I needed was a long-line bra for it and a black/bedazzled sash to break up the red to look "Wow!", but I already knew what cut/styles look good on my body before doing so.  Just be sure you measure while wearing the under-gear that you'd be wearing the day-of.  Order to the size you are, not the one you want if for any reason you're thinking "I'm going to cut my big toe hair before the wedding and that'll take me down three sizes!", order for where you are now, and if you need alterations, down is easier than up!  Size is just a number they assign, not the person (Bridal sizing is WAY off from regular sizing!)

At the end of the day, you're going to look great in whatever dress you decide on as long as it fits right. 

• Yup, mine is a custom made dress for a shop in South Dakota I think (I live in Maine). So I tried on dresses of similar styles at a local bridal salon and made sure I actually looked good in that dress style. Then I checked with FI on budget and he agreed if the ordered dress was awful I could buy my 2nd choice dress at the salon and we'd still be ok. I didn't actually show him the dresses just told him the prices of both). It worked out for me. 

If I were you I'd try to find a dress of similar style at the salon and see if you do actually like that style on you. If you do that I think you're fine ordering the dress you want without trying it on. It doesn't hurt to leave some extra room in your budget though to order a second dress if you need to, I was really worried until my FI assured me it would be fine if I needed to get both. (Though we both obv hoped I wouldn't need to).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards