Wedding Invitations & Paper

Requesting Child's Age On RSVP

We are inviting 215 people to our wedding, including children. I am planning on setting up a kids' area at the reception with coloring, puzzles, and games. However, I do not know how big an area I need to create. I figure it will be used by kids' 10 and under. How should I request children's ages on my RSVP cards, if at all?

Perhaps one of the below:

Ages of children attending: ____________

#_____ of children under 10 years

Thank in advance.

Re: Requesting Child's Age On RSVP

• Asking the children's ages could be seen by parents as intrusive and even creepy, so I wouldn't do it. Go ahead and set up the play area with whatever you're going to put in it. Chances are, if you're inviting kids, they'll bring toys, books, and electronic gadgets with them too.
  • Ditto Maggie. You'll know how many children will be attending when you recieve the responses. Plus, some 11 and 12 year olds might enjoy coloring and helping the little ones with puzzles. Children should be seated with their parents for the meal, with the option of  using the play table if they wish. Unless all the children know each other, there will probably be a few who shy away from the play table. 

• I was at a wedding last year with a play area with crayons and such... and several adult guests took a moment to mosey over there and draw/play a bit during the reception. I think they used it more than the kids did. It made for some awesome photos.

To answer your question, don't worry about the kids ages. Once you get an idea of how many of your guests are bringing children you can get a better idea, and really one table/small corner should be plenty of space.

• wink0erin said:
    I was at a wedding last year with a play area with crayons and such... and several adult guests took a moment to mosey over there and draw/play a bit during the reception. I think they used it more than the kids did. It made for some awesome photos.

To answer your question, don't worry about the kids ages. Once you get an idea of how many of your guests are bringing children you can get a better idea, and really one table/small corner should be plenty of space.
    I did that at the birthday party of a two year old.  The kids were playing games so I went to color.  I sat at a tiny table in a tiny chair and got to color an awesome Tiki Mask.
  • adk19 said:
    wink0erin said:
    I was at a wedding last year with a play area with crayons and such... and several adult guests took a moment to mosey over there and draw/play a bit during the reception. I think they used it more than the kids did. It made for some awesome photos.

I did that at the birthday party of a two year old.  The kids were playing games so I went to color.  I sat at a tiny table in a tiny chair and got to color an awesome Tiki Mask.
    This would mostly likely be me.  You just have to be careful of drunk Uncle Wilson because he may try to teach an anatomy lesson to the youngins.

• Please don't ask age - other than if you're going to ask "____# attending under the age of 12" for the purpose of ordering a kid's meal.  You roughly know how many kids there will be - if you have one table set up with the (washable) crayons, coloring books, drawing paper, etc. you'll be fine.  Most kids find ways to entertain themselves...
  • MesmrEwe said:

Please don't ask age - other than if you're going to ask "____# attending under the age of 12" for the purpose of ordering a kid's meal.  You roughly know how many kids there will be - if you have one table set up with the (washable) crayons, coloring books, drawing paper, etc. you'll be fine.  Most kids find ways to entertain themselves...

Even then, with kid's meals, not every kid will want one. My kid eats off the normal menu and regular portions (I weep for when he is a teenager).

I agree with everyone else, the kids who want to use the play area will. Kids should be seated with their families so they can keep an eye on them.
  • I agree with everyone else re: kids and adults who want to use it will. However, I know I'd potentially still be interested in knowing ages for the sake of our caterer. Everyone got the same meal (we had a buffet) but kids under a certain age range were free and kids in another age group (like 6 to 12) were half price per person. It made a significant difference in the final amount owed to our caterer. Can you work with extended family to find out the ages of the kids rather than through the RSVP? Phone calls? Emails? I worked with my MIL to find out ages of kids from her family and I knew the ages of our friend's kids and my family's kids. Obviously I only think this is a valuable effort if there's some sort of reduced price to your caterer, otherwise just make your play table and don't worry about exact numbers of people who may utilize it.

• labro said:

I agree with everyone else re: kids and adults who want to use it will. However, I know I'd potentially still be interested in knowing ages for the sake of our caterer. Everyone got the same meal (we had a buffet) but kids under a certain age range were free and kids in another age group (like 6 to 12) were half price per person. It made a significant difference in the final amount owed to our caterer. Can you work with extended family to find out the ages of the kids rather than through the RSVP? Phone calls? Emails? I worked with my MIL to find out ages of kids from her family and I knew the ages of our friend's kids and my family's kids. Obviously I only think this is a valuable effort if there's some sort of reduced price to your caterer, otherwise just make your play table and don't worry about exact numbers of people who may utilize it.

It shouldn't be necessary to inquire about kids' ages for this purpose.

You could word an RSVP response card to say something like:

____ seats have been reserved in your honor

Number of adult meals requested _____
    Number of children's meals requested _____

That way parents who want to order children's meals for their kids can do so without having to divulge their ages.
  • Jen4948 said:
    I agree with everyone else re: kids and adults who want to use it will. However, I know I'd potentially still be interested in knowing ages for the sake of our caterer. Everyone got the same meal (we had a buffet) but kids under a certain age range were free and kids in another age group (like 6 to 12) were half price per person. It made a significant difference in the final amount owed to our caterer. Can you work with extended family to find out the ages of the kids rather than through the RSVP? Phone calls? Emails? I worked with my MIL to find out ages of kids from her family and I knew the ages of our friend's kids and my family's kids. Obviously I only think this is a valuable effort if there's some sort of reduced price to your caterer, otherwise just make your play table and don't worry about exact numbers of people who may utilize it.
    It shouldn't be necessary to inquire about kids' ages for this purpose. You could word an RSVP response card to say something like: ____ seats have been reserved in your honor Number of adult meals requested _____ Number of children's meals requested _____ That way parents who want to order children's meals for their kids can do so without having to divulge their ages.
    If I understand correctly, Labro is saying that there won't be a difference in adult meals vs children's meals, just that the cost would be different to the person paying the caterer. I know that's how my caterer works. Under 3 or 4 is free, and under 12 is half the price per person. I still wouldn't put it on the RSVP card, but I understand why you'd want to know the ages.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Please don't ask age - other than if you're going to ask "____# attending under the age of 12" for the purpose of ordering a kid's meal.  You roughly know how many kids there will be - if you have one table set up with the (washable) crayons, coloring books, drawing paper, etc. you'll be fine.  Most kids find ways to entertain themselves...
    Even then, with kid's meals, not every kid will want one. My kid eats off the normal menu and regular portions (I weep for when he is a teenager). I agree with everyone else, the kids who want to use the play area will. Kids should be seated with their families so they can keep an eye on them.
    LOL - too true!!  DD would rather eat a regular meal, and the kid's meal is more of what DH wants/can eat!!!
  • scribe95 said:
    Exactly how many kids would be coming that you wouldn't have a vague idea of their age? I have a crap ton a cousins and I don't know their exact ages but I know a general range. 
    This. If you are inviting these children to your wedding, you should have an idea of how old they are to begin with.

If you really need to know if a few kids are 11 or 12 for pricing purposes, call the parents after you get an RSVP saying they are coming. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards