Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Pescatarian dinner - enough options?

Hi everyone!  I'm hoping to get some opinions about our possible menu.  We're still in the early stages of planning, so there's lots of time to make changes.

Neither of us eats poultry or red meat, and we'd rather not offer it.  But we know not everyone likes seafood, so we want to make sure there are enough options for those who don't like it and also that we aren't ignoring any likely dietary pitfalls.

We'd begin with 4 passed apps:  A grilled mushroom tart, a seared scallop, a lobster cake and a stuffed eggplant.  Salad would be simple - just mixed baby greens.  Then the choices for the mains would be as follows:

Gluten-free penne with tomatoes, basil and garlic
Vegetable risotto with four cheeses
Lemon sole

Followed by cake and little candies at dessert.

We are willing to compromise on a chicken entree in the place of the risotto if folks think it's necessary; we won't eat it, but we want the guests to be happy.  But do you think there's enough variety without it?

Re: Pescatarian dinner - enough options?

• Hi everyone!  I'm hoping to get some opinions about our possible menu.  We're still in the early stages of planning, so there's lots of time to make changes.

Neither of us eats poultry or red meat, and we'd rather not offer it.  But we know not everyone likes seafood, so we want to make sure there are enough options for those who don't like it and also that we aren't ignoring any likely dietary pitfalls.

We'd begin with 4 passed apps:  A grilled mushroom tart, a seared scallop, a lobster cake and a stuffed eggplant.  Salad would be simple - just mixed baby greens.  Then the choices for the mains would be as follows:

Gluten-free penne with tomatoes, basil and garlic
    Vegetable risotto with four cheeses
    Lemon sole

Followed by cake and little candies at dessert.

We are willing to compromise on a chicken entree in the place of the risotto if folks think it's necessary; we won't eat it, but we want the guests to be happy.  But do you think there's enough variety without it?

There's variety - I'm allergic to eggplant, but would totally be able to choose something else off your menu. 

Others, however, may not be so fortunate. There are many people, H included, who are allergic to all kinds of seafood. 

I think you should offer chicken to accommodate for potential food allergies. 
  • I think with how many people tend to be allergic to seafood, you should add in a chicken dish. The penne is a good option, but for example my husband wouldn't be able to eat the tomatoes. If someone is dairy free, they'd also have to avoid the risotto. 
  • The concern I have is that your alternate meals are very carb heavy and lighter on protein. Can you offer chicken or something that isn't so starchy as another option?
  • I think with how many people tend to be allergic to seafood, you should add in a chicken dish. The penne is a good option, but for example my husband wouldn't be able to eat the tomatoes. If someone is dairy free, they'd also have to avoid the risotto. 
    Not only that, but if anyone on your guest list has a shellfish allergy, it's best not to serve it all, due to cross contamination risks.  Check with your venue and see what they reccommend.

I have cousins who have shellfish allergies, and when we brought this up when we met with the venue to discuss the menu, the head chef said that he didn't want to make any shellfish apps or entrees then, since the cross contamination risk was too high in his opinion.  SO bye-bye scallops and crab.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I would trade in one of your entrees for a chicken based one. 

I would also trade in one of your shellfish apps for a chicken based one too.  Many people have an allergy to shellfish, but could be fine with other types of fish.  Mushrooms can also be a very hit or miss item.  To make your menu more well rounded, I'd add in some chicken.

• Thank you all so much for your opinions.  I think you're right, and I'm going to talk to FI about including some chicken and removing the shellfish.

Since it's been a while since I've eaten any chicken and I won't be able to sample them myself, could I ask which you think sounds better?

Peppered chicken skewers with cous-cous and roasted veggies
    Chicken in white wine sauce with mint, peas and herbed rice

I'll revisit the apps possibilities tonight.

• I think the chicken in white wine sauce sounds good.
  • The two chicken options both sounds good.  I think the first one sounds a little better!
  • The chicken & white wine sauce sounds delicious!
  • The chicken & white wine sauce sounds very good!
  • That sounds very nice to me! I think you've covered all the big issues and if anyone has more particular needs you can work with them individually.
  • Sounds awesome!
  • Your new menu sounds delicious! Plenty of options for everyone.
  • Sounds amazing, can I come?
  • It sounds like you have all your bases covered, and with incredible sounding food. Ugh, I'm fasting right now so I should probablyyyy stop reading the food board. Omg. Your menu sounds perfect.
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    I really think you revamped that menu in a good way!  I love seeing people listening to others suggestions and really making an attempt to make their guests happy.  I know weddings like that will be good!

ETA - Just noticed, slight zombie thread....oops!
  • I'm a difficult vegan and this sounds wonderful! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards