Wedding 911

Venue attempting to change event policy

I am getting married in May and booked my venue (a museum) back in June-July. This week, I got an email from their event coordinator saying they'd made some changes to their event policies, mostly regarding the bride/groom rooms provided for us to get ready in, and to sign and return the addendum she'd sent along. Turns out the addendum reads that we will have access to the bride/groom rooms any time after 4 p.m. on the day of our wedding...our ceremony is at 5:30 p.m., and we are planning on doing first look photos and some other photos before the ceremony, so getting in after 4 would pretty much be pointless and we'd have to get ready somewhere else.

Our original contract doesn't specify anything about the bride and groom rooms specifically, the only similar policy listed states that we can hold a rehearsal anytime after 10 a.m. on the day of our event. (which if we were to do this, logically we would go from the rehearsal to get ready anyway...) We were told that we would have access to the museum (and these rooms) for the entire day, beginning when the museum opened at 10 a.m. 

One of the reasons we chose this venue was because of the convenience of having rooms to get ready on-site, as well as not having the possible expense of a hotel room or somewhere to get ready. My question is, what happens if we don't sign this addendum? We've paid the venue in full and signed the contract back in July.

Right now, we have called and left the event coordinator a message to call us, but still waiting to hear back. I'm wondering if they're getting lots of calls about this, because our other thought was, what about people who have daytime events? We think they had an incident of some sort because the addendum also states no alcohol in the bride/groom rooms, and that if you leave those rooms into the main museum area that you must be fully clothed in a shirt, pants and shoes. I'm hoping we can work this out once we talk to the coordinator, but I'm not sure what to expect and not really sure what happens if we simply refuse to sign the addendum when we already have a contract in place and have paid in full.

Help? :(

Re: Venue attempting to change event policy

• I am getting married in May and booked my venue (a museum) back in June-July. This week, I got an email from their event coordinator saying they'd made some changes to their event policies, mostly regarding the bride/groom rooms provided for us to get ready in, and to sign and return the addendum she'd sent along. Turns out the addendum reads that we will have access to the bride/groom rooms any time after 4 p.m. on the day of our wedding...our ceremony is at 5:30 p.m., and we are planning on doing first look photos and some other photos before the ceremony, so getting in after 4 would pretty much be pointless and we'd have to get ready somewhere else.

Our original contract doesn't specify anything about the bride and groom rooms specifically, the only similar policy listed states that we can hold a rehearsal anytime after 10 a.m. on the day of our event. (which if we were to do this, logically we would go from the rehearsal to get ready anyway...) We were told that we would have access to the museum (and these rooms) for the entire day, beginning when the museum opened at 10 a.m. 

One of the reasons we chose this venue was because of the convenience of having rooms to get ready on-site, as well as not having the possible expense of a hotel room or somewhere to get ready. My question is, what happens if we don't sign this addendum? We've paid the venue in full and signed the contract back in July.

Right now, we have called and left the event coordinator a message to call us, but still waiting to hear back. I'm wondering if they're getting lots of calls about this, because our other thought was, what about people who have daytime events? We think they had an incident of some sort because the addendum also states no alcohol in the bride/groom rooms, and that if you leave those rooms into the main museum area that you must be fully clothed in a shirt, pants and shoes. I'm hoping we can work this out once we talk to the coordinator, but I'm not sure what to expect and not really sure what happens if we simply refuse to sign the addendum when we already have a contract in place and have paid in full.

Since the original contact says nothing about the timing and use of the rooms, I would think you have 3 options. Talk to the venue and get a new amended addendum, sign it or tell them you want to break the contract bc you don't agree with the new changes. I would check what your contact says regarding canceling, you may lose your deposit. GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I am getting married in May and booked my venue (a museum) back in June-July. This week, I got an email from their event coordinator saying they'd made some changes to their event policies, mostly regarding the bride/groom rooms provided for us to get ready in, and to sign and return the addendum she'd sent along. Turns out the addendum reads that we will have access to the bride/groom rooms any time after 4 p.m. on the day of our wedding...our ceremony is at 5:30 p.m., and we are planning on doing first look photos and some other photos before the ceremony, so getting in after 4 would pretty much be pointless and we'd have to get ready somewhere else.

Since the original contact says nothing about the timing and use of the rooms, I would think you have 3 options. Talk to the venue and get a new amended addendum, sign it or tell them you want to break the contract bc you don't agree with the new changes. I would check what your contact says regarding canceling, you may lose your deposit. GL!

We didn't really have a deposit per se...it's a museum, so they consider their event fees donations to become members of the museum, making them tax deductible (definitely a plus when we were shopping around for venues). Because it is a donation, paying it in full to secure it was the only option and it's nonrefundable (I think if for any reason you have to cancel, you can hold another event there during the year). So if we were to have to find a new venue (which I don't even want to think about!), we would be out the entire $3,500. Chances are if it came down to it, we would rent hotel rooms to get ready rather than finding a new venue. It just sucks since this was a major plus in our minds to have everyone on site!

We didn't really have a deposit per se...it's a museum, so they consider their event fees donations to become members of the museum, making them tax deductible (definitely a plus when we were shopping around for venues). Because it is a donation, paying it in full to secure it was the only option and it's nonrefundable (I think if for any reason you have to cancel, you can hold another event there during the year). So if we were to have to find a new venue (which I don't even want to think about!), we would be out the entire $3,500. Chances are if it came down to it, we would rent hotel rooms to get ready rather than finding a new venue. It just sucks since this was a major plus in our minds to have everyone on site!

Yuck.  That's disappointing.  Our venue was a church, and the original contract was very clear about when certain facilitites would be available to us.  

Who originally told you that you'd have access to these rooms?  
  • The event coordinator told us when we toured the place.
  • The event coordinator told us when we toured the place.
    I'd bring that up with her and hope for the best.  Unfortutnately since it was said and not written, there isn't much to stand on.
  • I'd talk to the event coordinator about your timing concerns and see if you can get an updated contract, because not getting any access until 90 minutes before the ceremony isn't going to work for you. If not, and if you don't want to change venues, then I'd do as much getting ready as possible at another location so you can do your photos et al in the 90 minutes they will allow you of advance time.
  • Agree with PPs.

Please do update once you talk to them. I hope they're reasonable!
  • wink0erinwink0erin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2015

Wouldn't the original contract stand? You signed a contract before they changed this policy. Verbal contracts count as contracts ("You will have the room all day") I would push back and insist to have the room all day. If they say no, you can either decide to deal with it and get a hotel room, or you can cancel, but if you cancel and they don't want to give you your money back, get a lawyer involved.

I mean, contract law can be tricky, but you have rights. They can't go changing things you don't agree to after you've already signed a contract.

ETA: I am not a contract lawyer, but I did take business law classes in college.

• Your contract is a little murky.  It does sound like they had an incident and are now updating their policies.  Since you cannot get any sort of deposit back, I would try to compromise with them.  Tell them that since you were told you would have access all day to those rooms previously, it was the main reason you booked them.  Then try to compromise on the time.  Start with allowing access to the rooms at noon or 1 and settle for 2 PM.  That should give you more than enough time to get dressed, do your first look and other pictures before your ceremony start time.

If you have hair & make up scheduled, just have it done at the salon or someone local's house.  That way all you truly need to do is put your formal attire on, when you arrive at the venue.

• As the PP have mentioned, I'd contact them and see about an amended addendum...  Agreeing to most of the terms (no alcohol, fully clothed when leaving those rooms, etc.), but not on the access to the room.  If they can't agree to at least that portion since you've got a contract from before the policies were put in place, you may be able to cancel and get your money back depending on what contract law is in your state..  And, as much, you may be able to argue that you're under no obligation to sign the addendum (read your present contract with a fine-tooth comb of course!)
  • Good news, they were flexible and are allowing access between 11 a.m. and noon (I gave early hours in case we had to compromise for later, but they agreed to these times). Apparently they've had museum guests complain that wedding parties were all over the place and "taking over" the floor they were on (and sounds like they were drunk and not fully clothed as well). They are also starting some "second Saturday" events and expect to have an influx of visitors on those days (which our date falls on). We're still working out the logistics to make sure our stuff can be set up on time, but our ceremony and reception are after museum hours anyway so I'm not too worried about it.

It just struck us as odd they would try to implement this with people they already had signed contracts with, but luckily they are handling on a case-by-case basis. I assured her we would remain fully clothed and stay in the rooms all day. :) 

Thanks for the help, though! The whole refund/deposit thing was just funky since technically our payment was a "donation." I don't know that it would've been possible to refund it, but luckily we don't have to worry about it! Crisis averted!
    That's a relief.  I'm glad that they're not going to crunch you into a 90 minute "getting ready" window.  That's just too tight.
  • So glad this worked out for you!  All the best for a beautiful wedding!  Share pics with us after the big day!  
  • Glad they worked with you! I just wanted to add that I only had the bridal suite at my ceremony site for 90 minutes and it worked out just fine. I did do my hair and makeup off site but we were able to do getting ready photos, a champagne toast, and some bridal party pics before the ceremony and didn't feel rushed at all. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards