Honeymoon Discussions

Early October 2016 Honeymoon - Bad Weather Worries!

Hello! I was wondering if anyone has been on a honeymoon recently to Jamaica in late September-Early October... I've read that this is considered "hurricane season" and rain is very likely during this time of the year down there too. My Fiancee and I are worried about spending the amount of $$ on this trip, only to have it ruined by rain, and he would like to postpone it till winter time but to me it's so anti-climatic to not have it right after our wedding! So anyone out there with first hand advice/knowledge, please help!! Anything you can suggest is greatly appreciated.. I feel like I have read so many boards and opinions and I have no straight answers.

Thank You! xxo

Re: Early October 2016 Honeymoon - Bad Weather Worries!

• Two words - trip insurance.  If you really don't want to chance it, postpone the honeymoon!  Many people do, whether it's a week later or months later.  Gives you a chance to relax after the wedding, get into a routine and is something to look forward to.
  • Is there any reason you are set on Jamaica?  It is hot and humid in October, and it does rain, but that shouldn't ruin your honeymoon, unless a hurricane happens.  Like the PP said, uy trip insurance in case of a major disaster like that.
    If you don't want rain, consider Aruba.  It has a desert climate, and lots of resorts.  Neither Jamaica nor Aruba are my favorite islands, due to commercialization and over development.  I like St. Lucia.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Hello! I was wondering if anyone has been on a honeymoon recently to Jamaica in late September-Early October... I've read that this is considered "hurricane season" and rain is very likely during this time of the year down there too. My Fiancee and I are worried about spending the amount of $$ on this trip, only to have it ruined by rain, and he would like to postpone it till winter time but to me it's so anti-climatic to not have it right after our wedding! So anyone out there with first hand advice/knowledge, please help!! Anything you can suggest is greatly appreciated.. I feel like I have read so many boards and opinions and I have no straight answers.

Thank You! xxo

If you are worried about hurricanes, buy trip insurance.

When you travel to a tropical climate, you could get rain any day.  Some places will have a daily rain shower, then will be clear the rest of the time.  Our last day in Hawaii for our trip in January, it was rainy and gross in Princeville, but when we drove around the island about 30 minutes it was clear and beautiful.  So it can be very hard to judge the weather at any tropical location.

As for waiting, H & I married in March and honeymooned in July.  We did it because H was working part time in a school, so he had no vacation time.  So we waited until he was already off of work.  It was really great because we had something big to look forward to after the hoopla of the wedding stopped.  We did go on a mini-moon.  We had booked a 2 night stay at a B&B we found on Groupon Escapes.  So we did get away right after the wedding to unwind, but still had a big honeymoon later in the year.

• Went to Jamaica for my honeymoon last Sept and it was totally fine. There for 7 days and it only rained the last night. Did a Caribbean cruise this Sept for our anniversary and again no problems, no rain. Don't worry about it!!

• My H and I just got back from an October honeymoon in Antigua. Their typical weather is the daily showers that blow over quickly. However, we only had 1 shower and 1 day with true rain. At the exact same time, Mexico was having it's hurricane on the west coast. I am not a scientist, but I really thing this was to do with el nino vs el nina which is becoming harder to predict these days. Another vote just to buy the insurance and go enjoy yourself.
  • This is one advantage of a honeymoon cruise.  If the weather is really bad, the ship just goes to another place.  I was on a cruise where they announced, "We're going to Jamaica instead of Mexico due to weather issues."  OK.  Still had a great time.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards