Wedding Woes

Coat Help

We'll have a few holiday parties to attend and they are more on the formal side. We have DH's company Christmas party first up and here is what I'm wearing:

https://www.renttherunway.com/shop/designers/slate__willow/navy_petal_dress

I have coats of course, but they are meant more for casual wear. Think denim jacket, wool pea coat, etc. None of them seem very formal to me. I don't want something super heavy like my pea coat because I don't want to carry that around with me during the night (coat check isn't common because of where I live).

Is something like this horrible:

http://www.amazon.com/Allegra-Winter-Single-Breasted-Poncho/dp/B00ARC1JUQ/ref=zg_bs_12643253011_3

Any other suggestions?

Re: Coat Help

• I love capes.  While I don't mind that one, something with a bit more formal fabric might be better.  Also, RTR does have coats and capes for rent as well.
  • I'm not sure what the evening temps are in your area.  Could you get by with a pashima?
  • V- the selection on RTR right now is not good. Lots of fur vests.

I need something a little more than a pashmina. It will be in the 30's at night and while I won't be spending all night out there, I will be in and out mostly likely through the night. There are patio heaters (sometimes) but I don't want to take chances.

Honestly, I might just get that cape I linked above and if it's crap then I'll return it. It's $26 and I'll wear it like 3 times a year, so I'm not terribly concerned about quality.
  • Boo.  

In other news, I just returned rentals to them a day late.  I'll let you know how it goes.  The bag was too big to go into the drop box on Sunday and I couldn't get to the store yesterday.
  • For formal wear unless you are wearing a stole the hem of your outerwear should be longer than the hem on your dress.  Other than that, the cape is lovely.  N.B.  at the types of parties you will be attending, they will have coat check; you don't have to lug your coat around. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards