Not Engaged Yet

Someone car shop for me?

I'm done. Seriously done. And I was finally able to drag some requirements out of H because I kept finding cars I loved that were getting shot down for one reason or another and I'm tired of looking. So name makes and models?

MSRP must be less than $20k
Prefer a model year 2014 or newer, but 2013 is ok.

I've already rejected the following:
Honda CR-V because it's got pretty bad blind spots thanks to thick columns. Also the interior is meh.
Mazda 3 because of rear tire wear issues.
Subaru anything because they are too expensive and the CVT (continuously variable transmission) is a big no for H.
Mazda CX-3 because it's too expensive.
Anything larger than the Cross Trek/CX-3/CR-V class.
Ford Fusion
Ford Focus

I like things with a sporty look and low profile tires.
Would really really like bluetooth capability.
Do not like large sedans.
Do not like sedans that prioritize fuel efficiency over performance (like the Nissan Note)

What am I not considering? I'm really not the biggest fan of anything made by Toyota or Chevrolet so I'll admit that I'm biased here. I also don't love Honda either...but I realize I need to keep my options open.

Oh and here's what happened to my car.

Re: Someone car shop for me?

• Yikes! That is a scary picture.

What about a hyundai? I have a Santa Fe and love it. But I know they have other models that looks pretty nice (not sure about the features though).

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'm useless on cars (H and I have a 1993 Camaro and a 2001 PT Cruiser we're driving into the ground), but that is a scary picture and I'm really glad you're ok!
  • Hmm I'll definitely check them out. I like the shape of the Elantra!

• @KeptInStitches I fully intended to drive my Mazda into the ground until I got in my wreck. H has a 2010 VW Golf that he intends to do the same thing to. ;) I want something newer so I can get more years out of it. We're definitely not the type to change up cars every few years either.

• I know you said you don't love Hondas, but they are really great cars, and their 2016 HR-V (close to the CX-3 and Crosstrek) starts at $19k. 

http://automobiles.honda.com/hr-v/

*******************************************************************************************

• I'm really not of any help.  I have a Honda Civic I like.  H just got a Mazda CX-5 in June.  I think overall he likes, 

Anniversary

• I have a CRV, but an older model.  I agree, the new styles are not made the same.  

Before this car, I had a Hyundai Elantra.  I liked it a lot, and the newer models meet a lot of your likes/requirements.

Or what about a Volkswagen Jetta or Golf?
  • Hmmmm your criteria is super hard. Your budget is firm at 20? Does it have to be 4 door? I have a scion tc (the sporty kind, not the box kind) and I frigen love the thing. It's got the zoom zoom that you like, sunroof & ipod hookup, 17 inch low profile rims/ tires come standard for 18k. Well ok I bought mine 8 years ago so the price may have gone up. I freaking LOVE having the hatchback, it fits so much stuff. I will never go back to a normal trunk. And it's made by Toyota, I know you don't love them but seriously Toyota engines last 200k miles.

Um what else. Hyundai's are really good now. They were shit 20 years ago but now they are right up there with Honda & Toyota.

I love civics, especially the SI which is a little more "zoomy". The new Lincoln MKZ with the panoramic sunroof is really sweet looking but I have no idea the pricepoint.

Do all Subaru's have the CVT? Because the Impreza base model is only about 21k.

• @TwoDimes It's definitely a newer model issue - like since 2014. I used to have a 2001 Honda CR-V and it was ok. The blind spot thing wasn't an issue back then but the car was eh. You definitely had to be very strict about replacing the timing chain for it too. I haven't test driven a new one but it's pretty clear from the videos I've seen (both front and rear). My MIL drives a Pacifica that also has terrible blind spots and I absolutely cannot stand being in her car. I feel like I'm totally blind. I also didn't like what CR had to say about the hard plastic interior. I'd like something a little bit more plush.

@GoldenPenguin The HR-V is really cute but I think H will say no because it also has the same transmission as the Cross Trek. It was a pretty hard no from him even though basically every manufacturer is moving to CVT and manufacturers like Honda and Subaru have been using it since 2006.

• teddygirl9teddygirl9 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2015

Acura RDX? It's basically a CRV but is built a bit differently and nicer on the inside. I have the older model (08) and I don't find the blind spots bad (but I came from a coupe car that was terrible). Not sure about new pricing but used could come in under your budget.

• I would be fighting so hard with my H right now. 

*******************************************************************************************

• @jenna8984 Unfortunately it is. I found some GREAT cars both new and used over 20k and all H would ask was if we could find something cheaper. So I'm done being disappointed after I find a perfect car and sticking to whatever I can find under 20.

@teddygirl9 The Acura RDX is pretty cool. H will not be a fan of the premium fuel requirement it seems to have. Premium for us is usually $0.50 more than the low grade. There's a 2011 in my area that meets the price requirements at least so I'm bookmarking it.

• Yes, the premium does kinda suck. I only get gas at 1 specific brand of gas station, because their premium is always 10c more per L (40c/Gallon). The other stations don't advertise it, so it can be 20c-50c more per L! Just have to be smarter (or richer?) about it haha. But I love it, so I put up with it!
  • Also, with his CVT "issue"... if more & more manufacturers are going to it, and some have been using it for YEARS (aka Subaru & Honda), and those manufacturers are the ones who have the BEST track record for vehicle longevity, resale value, safety, etc., don't you think that maybe they know what they're doing?? 

• @TwoDimes The things he's being picky about are 1. price 2. mechanical issues 3. accident history - so basically anything I find is unacceptable.

It's ok though. I just told him he can buy me this instead. THEY don't have transmission problems at least.

• @labro - how many of your friends are you going to allow to ride with you on your stallion? This is an important factor.

• @GoldenPenguin Only one at a time. But obviously I'll need a back-up horse for the days when my beautiful stallion needs a break so I can accommodate up to THREE friends.

• I'm not sure on the size compared to those other models you mentioned, but my friend has a new Jeep Renegade (MSRP ~$17k) and they adore it.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Love & Splits
    A blog about running and life with pituitary tumors
  • speakeasy14speakeasy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2015
    I put in as much of your requirements that I could into cars.com and here is what I came up with near you (CLICK) Hopefully there's something you like, and that your H says yes to. 
  • What about a Ford Escape? I had one as a rental car after my accident a couple months ago and I really loved it.

• I know you said you don't like Toyota but I loooove my Corolla. If you're willing to go preowned, I got my 09 at 48000 miles for like 9000 before taxes and fees so I'm sure you can get a newer car definitely under 20k. Great gas milage, decent size, and consistently rated for safety.
  • Also, with his CVT "issue"... if more & more manufacturers are going to it, and some have been using it for YEARS (aka Subaru & Honda), and those manufacturers are the ones who have the BEST track record for vehicle longevity, resale value, safety, etc., don't you think that maybe they know what they're doing?? 
    Sure - but it also strongly seems to trend towards this move was to improve efficiency and reduce cost at the sake of the consumer replacing the transmission earlier than normal. So sure, they absolutely know WHAT they are doing. H agreed the tech has improved but it still seemed to be a common problem even with newer models.

• I'll put in another vote for Hyundai.  I bought an Elantra in 2008 and loved it so, so much.  I drove it into the ground, and traded it in for a Tuscon because I wanted something bigger.  I never had any troubles with the Elantra except when it finally gave up after 170,000+ miles of hard driving.  In the time I had it, there were at least 4 major road trips plus 5 years of commuting 60+ miles each way to school, so I think I got my money's worth.
  • I have an Elantra saved right now and the Acura RDX or whatever it was. And I still have my Mazda CX-3 that's overbudget....but I dunno, it's something I'm willing to push H on because it looks like a grown up Mazda3.

@GoldenPenguin CR likes the Escape but when I was looking for common problems a lot of people were talking about the car stalling for no reason whatesoever. Ugh. It'll take more research.

• Go to the library and read the Consumer Reports car issue.  It comes out annually - I think in October.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @futuremrshistorian Damn you put that many miles on it?! I got my scion brand new in 2007 and it only has 117k miles!

• @jenna8984 - Yep.  When I started my second grad program, the school was 62 miles from my front door...of the house I had just bought in my hometown  So I commuted 124 miles round-trip to school 3-5 days a week for 5 years.  Plus, if I'm counting right, there was one Connecticut-Oklahoma road trip, 2 Oklahoma-Chicago road trips, one Oklahoma-Minnesota road trip, and about 10 trips to see my BFF in central Texas...which was actually 500 miles away because Texas is scary big.  Needless to say it got a fair bit of use :smiley: 
  • @futuremrshistorian - No joke. I don't even take road trips, because getting OUT of Texas is a road trip in itself!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards