Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

How many pictures?

Hi all,

I'm just curious what a reasonable amount of photos to get back from your photographer is with 10 hours of shooting? Assuming we're halfway photogenic lol :)

Best,
K

Re: How many pictures?

• within 10 hours?    None.

I didn't get anything back for 3 weeks.  I know some people got some previews sooner, but 10 hours seems a little too quick.  The photographer has a life.  After the shoot they might have other shoots, then editing, dinner, hanging out with the family.    

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    Hi all, I'm just curious what a reasonable amount of photos to get back from your photographer is with 10 hours of shooting? Assuming we're halfway photogenic lol :) Best, K
    Our photographers don't have any set hours, but I don't expect more than 10 hours anyway.  They take unlimited shots but I think he said he averages 500 per wedding.  I don't see a need for more?   It will take up to 12 weeks to get them back though.  Do you have a few in mind? It's a very reasonable question to ask.

edit; I asked my photographer since I couldn't remember what was said in our meeting, and it depends on bridal party size and guest count.  You should factor that in!  I was correct in saying 500-700.

• I'm guessing you mean how many photos you should get if the photographer shoots for 10 hrs not how many you'll get back 10 hrs after the wedding? If it's the latter than PPs are right you won't get any back in 10 hrs. 

We had the photographer for 7 hours and got over 1500 photos. Now many of them are of the same thing at slightly different angles or my husband and i looking at each other and then kissing. Still I'd say we have about 500 completely unique photos. You'll probably have a bit more for it being 3 hrs longer. Depends on the photographer though. It was really hard narrowing it down for the album so even if you only get 500 you'll be happy! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If your photographer does a good job of editing/selecting the best images for you, 300-500 proofs would be typical.
    Michael Gowin
  • Sorry, yes, I meant how many photos we'd get out of 10 hours of shooting. 500-700 range sounds good to me! Thanks for y'all's help!!!
  • edited December 2015
    Ask your photog, get it on your contact. It doesn't matter what we say the average is, it only matters what they promise to deliver, in writing, in your signed contract. Otherwise they can deliver 100 images if they want.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• We give our brides about 60-80 images per hour. However, that fluctuates from wedding to wedding as each wedding is different. I have seen it go down to as little as 40 per hour and up to 120. All depends on how much there is to photograph
  • Ask your photog, get it on your contact. It doesn't matter what we say the average is, it only matters what they promise to deliver, in writing, in your signed contract. Otherwise they can deliver 100 images if they want.
    ^ This.

We had about 8 hours of shooting and got 690 photos back.  Our photog told us to expect 500-700.  He and the 2nd shooter of course took way more than that over the course of the day, but a good photog should edit down a LOT of them.  I agree that 500-700 is a good number to expect, but every wedding is different and there will be more or less depending on how much there is to photograph as well as the conditions, etc.  Again, get the range in writing on the contract.

• I had 8 hours of shooting and got like 750 back.  Now, some of these were cropped versions, or the same photo with slightly different light editing/b&w etc, and I had 2 shooters so some of them, especially the ceremony pics, were pretty much the same shot, from different angles.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • I got about 400 with 1 shooter. I know he took tons more than that, but I told him not waste time editing a bunch of duplicates with only minute differences. He knows my taste and I trusted him to choose which ones we would like best.  
  • As a wedding photographer, I wanted to calculate how many photos my clients can expect to receive. So I tracked the time that I took the photos. I will take thousands of photos in one wedding- but what my clients get back is on average 125-150 photos per hour of shooting. Perhaps that is a little excessive but I always want to provide a huge range as long as the photos look good. So say someone more moderate than I gives you 100 photos per hour for 10 hours of shooting you should definitely get at least 1,000 photos back. At least- because 10 hours is a long time! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards