Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Bridal shoot...?

I made an appointment to try on wedding dresses at a local salon last week and they asked a number of questions, some of which I didn't really understand the need for: how many bridesmaids? names & age of the people coming with you?
But the oddest of all was "are you doing a bridal shoot?"
I asked what this is- a photo shoot with you in your dress well before the wedding, so you can have large pictures/posters of you at your ceremony/reception.
I asked if it was bride & groom, and she said "usually bride only".

So knotties, do people really do this? Have blown up pictures of the bride in her wedding dress all over the ceremony/reception? I could *maybe* see it if it was B&G but bride only seems odd. 

Re: Bridal shoot...?

• My sense is that this is more common in the south. I'm originally from New York and had never heard of it (and didn't do one) but since I've been living in NC I've seen and heard about it more. The pictures of the bride in her dress are displayed at the reception.
  • My sense is that this is more common in the south. I'm originally from New York and had never heard of it (and didn't do one) but since I've been living in NC I've seen and heard about it more. The pictures of the bride in her dress are displayed at the reception.
    Yes, I'm from NY, but live in Texas, so had never heard of them. I guess I just find it odd... Oh well!
  • In the south its really common, I live in Texas and I've seen this a ton. (This is "grooms cakes"). I think it gives brides an opportunity to do something with their hair and makeup trials, or at least that's what I see it as. Not a requirement and not something that is going to missed if you don't do it. 
  • Bridal sessions can take place either before or after the wedding, and they can include the groom as well--it's really up to you. Some photographers recommend bridals as a way to capture beautiful images that aren't always possible on the day of your wedding.

If beautiful photographs of the two of you are especially important, a bridal session can be a great choice.
    Michael Gowin
  • I live in Texas, and bridal shoots are quite common.  I had one and used it to test hair & makeup (and get some pics).  Our photographer included in her price a larger framed photo from the bridal pics.  We displayed it in the entry of the reception.  It now hangs in my parents' house.
  • Ah ok, thanks all. I think I'll skip this, but was curious as to if people actually did this! I'd have no idea what to do with a large picture of me in my house lol, other than be uncomfortable. ;) 

• Ah ok, thanks all. I think I'll skip this, but was curious as to if people actually did this! I'd have no idea what to do with a large picture of me in my house lol, other than be uncomfortable. ;) 
    Yeah, that's why mine is hanging in my parents' house.  I would definitely be weirded out by a big formal pic of me hanging in our house.
  • Hi Knickergold!

Yes, it's common to display a canvas or print from the bridal shoot at the reception. The salon probably wanted to know about the bridesmaids because often the shops will dress the whole wedding party. They want to know their names so they can address them by name, and their ages so that they can suggest appropriate attire. Have fun trying on the dresses! 
    You should probably edit your signature line; I believe it violates TOU:

3. No Soliciting.

There are some incredibly talented Knotties in our community with great ideas, but our boards are here for members to share ideas and hold discussions without feeling like they are being bombarded by promotions and solicitations. This applies to all sorts of businesses - photographers, graphic designers, Etsy shops, etc.

What does that mean exactly? No posts about your business, at all.

If a member asks for a business recommendation, you cannot respond with yours.In your signature, you cannot mention your business whatsoever, or link to it (ebay, etsy, etc.)

You can, however, link to your personal blog.

If you are unsure about what's allowed (this can be confusing), just follow one general rule: other members should not be able to guess that you are a vendor of any sort.

• It's definitely a Southern thing. Also, these portraits are used in the newspaper announcements, which usually run right after the wedding. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards