Canada

Cost of Travel for Guests at Destination Wedding!

We have booked out destination wedding in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico for November 2016!  Out travel planner helped us found a great rate on a beautiful resort and we were so excited.  The total for guest travelling from Toronto is $1790 + $115 tax per person.  
We TOTALLY understand that not everyone will be able to come because of cost, but I am so upset as the initial feedback that we got was that it is too much.  We thought this was very average and not a stretch, and it now causing me a lot of stress.

Has anyone else done destination at a similar cost?  Has anyone else had to deal with family feeling "put out" by the cost?

Thank you so much for any help you can offer!  

Re: Cost of Travel for Guests at Destination Wedding!

• WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    dexbeau said:
    We have booked out destination wedding in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico for November 2016!  Out travel planner helped us found a great rate on a beautiful resort and we were so excited.  The total for guest travelling from Toronto is $1790 + $115 tax per person.  
    We TOTALLY understand that not everyone will be able to come because of cost, but I am so upset as the initial feedback that we got was that it is too much.  We thought this was very average and not a stretch, and it now causing me a lot of stress.

Has anyone else done destination at a similar cost?  Has anyone else had to deal with family feeling "put out" by the cost?

Thank you so much for any help you can offer!  

You might get some more responses on the Destination Wedding board.  

We got married in Hawaii.  We and a lot of friends who couldn't make it due to cost.  We pushed the wedding back 1 year (about a 15month engagement) to give people time to save up.  Also, as there are no AI's in Hawaii, people could choose their own lodging, use points, etc. if needed.  We still had a lot of declines.  

You need to check first with your VIP's.  If they can't make it, are you comfortable getting married without them there?  If you're not, you may need to look at a different location, probably closer to home.  

Unfortunately, people will choose what their priorities are for spending their money.  Some have no problem paying for a vacation to your wedding.  Others may have financial issues you are unaware of, or may be saving for something different.  $2000 is a lot of money for some people, though it may not look like it from the outside.  

Some people may have little vacation time, or are unable to get the time off.  I'm a teacher, so if a friend had a wedding during the school year, I'd never be able to get time off.  Others may have used up their allotted time already.  My DH has been to Mexico enough times that he has no desire to go back

DW's will mean a higher decline rate.  If you're not ok with that, or if you're not ok with certain people not being there, you will likely need to reevaluate if you want to get married in Mexico.  

While this may not be your circumstance, many Brides also don't legally get married in Mexico due to the legalities.  If you are doing this, please tell your guests.  People want to see you get married, and we have had many people on other boards here unhappy that they spent their vacation time and money to find out after the the couple was already married back home, and that the DW was just a 'ceremony'  Good luck, and check out the DW board, which gets more traffic.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards