Honeymoon Discussions

Europe or Africa?

FI are getting married early Oct 2016, and we're trying to decide between a few days in Venice then to Greece for 10 days, or do South Africa and Zambia (probably 9 days SA, 6 days Zam) since we met there- opinions?

Our only reservation on Venice/Greece is that it might be too cold in Greece by then to sit on the beach all day?

Re: Europe or Africa?

• I'm voting Africa, but I'm not a huge fan of Italy or Greece.  I do love Venice though, but I find it's easier to get to Europe versus Africa.  We're looking to do Africa in a couple of years, and I'm already beginning to research into vaccinations, visas, etc.  I can't comment on beaches in Greece in Oct.  It was hot in April though

• The Greek Isles will be a bit chilly in October. Some of the resorts may even begin to close for the season.

• We went to SA, so I'm a little bias.   We actually went to Amsterdam, then SA, then Paris.    

I like Venice and Greece, but i also think Greece might be on the cooler side if you are looking to sit on a beach.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    We were in Venice a few years ago in early September - it was cold!  I wore long sleeves and a light jacket during the day and at night, was freezing!  I had to buy a scarf and really should've had a heavier jacket.  It wasn't until we got down to Sorrento that it was warm enough for shorts.  I'm not sure how Greece is that time of year.  

Personally, I'd do South Africa - but you mention you met there.  DH and I rarely visit a destination twice (there's so many places to see in the world!), but that's truly a personal decision.  

What are you looking to get out of your honeymoon?  Do you want a beachy destination?  Have you looked at other places other than Greece?   I looked at Zanzibar a couple years ago and it looked beautiful, though I'm not current on the travel warnings for that area.
  • Thanks ladies! We haven't been to South Africa yet, we met in Zambia :) I was nervous Greece may be too cold by then to lounge by the pool (I'm ok with it being cold in Venice- I just want to go!)

@JoanE2012- I've been to Zanzibar before, it is beautiful! But a little too 'undeveloped' in the beach areas- it's either stay in your resort (ugh), or stay in a bungalow on the beach in a village and have one 'restaurant' in the village, where you need someone to translate for you otherwise you have no idea what you're eating  (I did this- and it's delicious, but wanting something a tad nicer for the honeymoon!)
    Re safety- Stone Town you'll want to be covered, mostly to respect the locals and their views, but on the beaches anything goes!

• edited December 2015
    We honeymooned in Italy (our second time there) in late September/early October. It was actually pretty warm still. I've never been to Greece or Africa, so I can't give opinions on that. But I love Italy, and would choose that again over anything else. 
  • We went to South Africa/Mauritius on our honeymoon and absolutely loved it, so i'd suggest that.  It was difficult to get to/from, but that's why it worked so well for a honeymoon...i can fairly easily get to Europe some other time.  I would caution that i'm not sure 9 days is enough in SA (depending on what you want to do) as you lose one day traveling in each direction.  We were on the ground for 13 nights (and then flying for two other nights) and we felt like we could have spent another week there, if not a month.  We did 5 nights Mauritius, 5 nights Cape Town, 3 nights on safari.  If we had the time, i think we would have added 2 more nights in Mauritius and 2 more in Cape Town, at the very least.  And we didn't even get to any other parts of South Africa really, which would have been really awesome, i'm sure.
  • delujm0 said:
    We went to South Africa/Mauritius on our honeymoon and absolutely loved it, so i'd suggest that.  It was difficult to get to/from, but that's why it worked so well for a honeymoon...i can fairly easily get to Europe some other time.  I would caution that i'm not sure 9 days is enough in SA (depending on what you want to do) as you lose one day traveling in each direction.  We were on the ground for 13 nights (and then flying for two other nights) and we felt like we could have spent another week there, if not a month.  We did 5 nights Mauritius, 5 nights Cape Town, 3 nights on safari.  If we had the time, i think we would have added 2 more nights in Mauritius and 2 more in Cape Town, at the very least.  And we didn't even get to any other parts of South Africa really, which would have been really awesome, i'm sure.

@delujm0reminded me of Mauritius. We went a few years ago in September. It was just barely beach weather. We went snorkeling and nearly froze. There were times laying out by the pool that we covered up in a towel. We did a lot of land-based activities, though, so it was great for that. I would think October would be a little warmer, though. Just something to consider there. However, we also went to the Seychelles on that same trip and it was definitely beach weather. Mauritius will be a little less expensive than the Seychelles, if that is a concern.

• Thanks ladies!

We'd be flying out on a Sunday, and returning 2 weeks later, so the 9 days in SA would be combined with a few nights elsewhere in Africa- thinking Zambia, but I have always wanted to go to the Seychelles... fabulous idea! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards