Wedding Woes

I hope she's not actually buying gifts for this lady.

Dear Prudence,
My aunt and uncle are an older, well-to-do couple and the only relatives on my mother’s side. Recently, my aunt has become a “stylist” for a jewelry-party company, the sort that rewards its associates for sales to friends and acquaintances. Since then, she only give us her company’s items for Christmas, none of which we particularly care for, and emails us the receipts in order to boost her sales numbers. We don’t even like these items! We either give them away to charity or let them sit in a drawer. My mother has tried gently hinting that we have enough jewelry, and my sister and I are pushing for a gift-free Christmas. What should we do?

–No Necklace, Please

Re: I hope she's not actually buying gifts for this lady.

• What should they do?  Same as with any other unwanted gift.  Thank the giver and then do whatever you want with it:  Goodwill, trash, whatever.
  • Duh. Regift.
    Except not to her poor family.  ;)
  • Now they know how to accessorize their ugly Christmas sweaters.
  • If the aunt is going to get rewards for her sales numbers, it's not likely she is going to stop giving them the jewelry, even if they say no gifts. So it looks like the poster is going to have to just suck it up, continue to give or throw the unwanted stuff away, and either continue buying gifts for the aunt and uncle as well, or insist that at least on her (and I guess sister's) end, no gifts will be reciprocated. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • They can move and not give the aunt their new address.
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2015

While the Aunt hasn't learned what a Ponzi Scheme is yet (which those types of things really are even though they claim not to be), but the request to "no receipts please!" is within their abilities to block the company's email for them without saying a word to the aunt.  It's a bit on the tacky side as a gift giver to tell the person how much you are or aren't spending on them.  It's one thing to accidentally not see a price tag on an item, another to email a receipt to the person getting it... 

The person never knows - maybe one in 12 of these pieces will be something she'd actually consider wearing.. LOL (even a broken clock is right twice a day - unless it's set to Zulu time, then it's only once)..

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards