Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake Stories

In what should paint a clearer picture without posting our entire menu.. My fiance and I are having a cake and punch styled reception, but will not be serving enough cake to feed each individual guest.

We will have pies of various flavors for guests for the hour between the ceremony and reception. There will also be a tower of cupcakes serving the guests who opt for this versus an actual slice of our cake. These cupcakes will be the exact same flavor as the main cake.

Half will have the option of a slice, while the other half will have the option of a cupcake.

Knowing our guests, we are aware that not every person will want a slice of cake or a cupcake. Has anyone else done this with their cake serving? How did it turn out?

Re: Cake Stories

• In what should paint a clearer picture without posting our entire menu.. My fiance and I are having a cake and punch styled reception, but will not be serving enough cake to feed each individual guest.

We will have pies of various flavors for guests for the hour between the ceremony and reception. There will also be a tower of cupcakes serving the guests who opt for this versus an actual slice of our cake. These cupcakes will be the exact same flavor as the main cake.

Half will have the option of a slice, while the other half will have the option of a cupcake.

Knowing our guests, we are aware that not every person will want a slice of cake or a cupcake. Has anyone else done this with their cake serving? How did it turn out?
    Sounds like a terrible idea, like everyone has been telling you.

• @glasgowtolondon The bottom line here is that cupcakes are cake.. they are being made by the same bakery that is making our main cake in the exact same flavor and style.

Some people have entire cupcake towers, some have a larger cake. We're doing it 50/50. 

To clarify, my post is to ask for feedback from those who have done it this way, not to rearrange my plans.

Thanks!
  • In what should paint a clearer picture without posting our entire menu.. My fiance and I are having a cake and punch styled reception, but will not be serving enough cake to feed each individual guest.

So are you having enough cake for everyone to have a slice? Because in your post you make it clear that you will not be serving enough cake for every guest. I guess that's the confusion here. If you've changed your mind from your original post where the feedback was pretty clear cut, then that is great! Will there be enough cake and cupcakes in the same flavour to feed all your guests, no one left out? That's a much better plan.

Also, you can ask a question looking for specific responses but you don't get to dictate who can respond or how they choose to do so.

• @glasgowtolondon I think the confusion here is not reading the entirety of my posts and running with commenters who failed to do the same.

In my previous posting, and this one, cupcakes are mentioned. The previous post was obviously lacking clarity because I did not specify that we would not have enough wedding cake to go around. Thus I was clearly starving my guests because cupcakes were not an acceptable substitute.

So, no. I haven't changed my mind, but am glad that my definitive wording has painted a clearer picture.
  • No, I read both your posts. The confusion was where you said you weren't having enough for everyone. But you have clarified so that everyone is clear, maybe you'll get more of the responses you wanted now. I'm glad that you will be hosting your guests and providing for everyone attending.

• If the cupcakes are so similar to wedding cake, what is the issue with you and your husband eating the cupcakes?

• @lnixon8 I don't think I specified that we would not be eating cupcakes versus a slice of our tiered cake..
  • @lnixon8 I don't think I specified that we would not be eating cupcakes versus a slice of our tiered cake..
    Then skip the tiered cake

• @lnixon8 We'll be having both for visual variety, but thank you for your input.
  • I actually think it's fine this way, as long as everyone gets some cake.

I would make it so it's not assigned (i.e., everyone can go up to the dessert table and choose a cupcake or slice of tiered cake, to their preference). Just make it clear that it's the exact same cake, so people don't get confused and double up thinking they'll get two different flavors.
  • Why can't you just have enough cake for everyone? You are making this more complicated than it needs to be. If you are having a cake and punch reception, you need to have a slice of cake for every guest. It doesn't matter what else you are serving, or that the cupcakes are the same flavor. I don't care if you have the same flavor of cake sculpted into a life size version of yourself that you're serving out to each guest. Just give them ALL a SLICE of cake. 
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    We had a small cake for cutting and then cupcakes from the same baker for the guests. Nobody got a slice of cake. Some people on here even think THAT was inappropriate, so it's not likely many are going to tell you it's ok to let some people eat from the actual wedding cake and not everyone. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Ok, here's my story-- we had a three tier wedding cake that served all our guests with some left over. They had a choice of two flavors.

Not sure why you've started a new thread for this; you could have made your clarification in the other thread. Also, we are reading through all of your posts in that thread and it factored into our responses to you.
  • If I was a guest I'd be getting both a cupcake and slice of cake. Doesn't matter if I realized they were the same flavor, if I'm going to a cake a punch reception I'm having a little of everything offered for variety. If I got my cupcake and went to get a slice of cake and realized there wasn't any left I'd feel like the couple had some very poor planning to not have enough for every guest.  
  • I didn't do this (but friends did) and the way they made it work is that they had enough cake for 3/4 guests and enough cake for 3/4 guests. So if you have 100 people coming have cake that serves 75 and cupcakes that serve 75. You will have no idea who will want cake, who will want cupcakes, or who will want both (and yes a lot of people will want both especially at a cake and pinch reception even if you're serving pie too). You want to make sure that everyone who goes through the "line" gets to choose what they want either cupcake or cake. Just because I go through last doesn't mean I should just get whatever is left over, KWIM?
  • @charlotte989875 Yeah, it's not going to be exactly 50/50. Clearly there will be some wiggle room for leftovers-sake. However, guests will not get both, so there's no issue there.

The cupcakes will not be accessible until the cake is. Whoever is serving these items will ask which they prefer. This isn't going to be a free-for-all where guests can grab whatever they'd like whenever they'd like.

Not from the cake table that is.

Dear @climbingwife, I know my crowd. It won't be nearly as traumatic as you think for them to choose between a cupcake and an actual slice of cake.

Thanks!
  • I don't understand why you don't just pick cupcakes or regular cake. If you can't afford a 4 tier cake (or however many you need) just do sheet cake.  I personally prefer sliced cake over cupcakes, but I'm not going to throw a cupcake across the room in a tantrum if that is what is offered. And definitely have enough to feed every guest.
  • @PoodleDoodleOoo See my earlier comment, please. Thanks!

@lnixon8 We'll be having both for visual variety, but thank you for your input.

I'm honestly not sure why you're posting this question again.  We answered you on your other post regarding this exact topic; why do you think things will answer now?

Here was our setup.  (the flower-looking things are actually cupcakes).  H & I cut the cake on top for the officiall cutting.  The cake was then saved and everyone got cupcakes (we had enough for everyone and still had some leftovers).  

I realize that the cake you have will be the same flavor and quality as the cupcakes.  I do agree with @justsie ... if I was at a cake & punch reception and saw pies, cakes, and cupcakes, it would be easy to think that the intent was for each guest to be able to have 1 of each (cake, cupcake, pie).  I suggest you do an all-or-nothing approach - Cake or cupcakes. 

Also, @KnottieTaylor , I just noticed that you said that you're serving the mini-pies for the hour between the ceremony & reception.  Are the ceremony & reception at thet same venue?  An hour seems like a long time for guests to mingle and have pies (especially if you still don't plan to have enough chairs).  
  • I still think you need well more than 50% of each one. Even if you have someone taking cake/cupcake orders you want to make sure that the last table that gets served still has the option of cake or cupcake when the servers get to them. With doing two options like this you're always going to need more than if you just went with one so you can be sure guests (even the last to be served) still have the same choices. If cost is the concer here i would recommend going with one or the other, it will be cheaper than trying to gauge how much of two you need to host people properly.
  • @PoodleDoodleOoo See my earlier comment, please. Thanks!
    @lnixon8 We'll be having both for visual variety, but thank you for your input.
    Oh, so your vision of a perfect tablescape is more important than guest comfort ease and clarity, I understand now.

If you want visual interest, I like the way @holyguacamole79 set hers up, but she only offered cupcakes to her guests and the cake was reserved for her and her DH to ceremoniously cut and enjoy later. I don't know why you are making this so complicated. It does not have to be complicated!
  • @PoodleDoodleOoo It's truly not complicated. My guests are relaxed and easy to please.

But I appreciate your overwhelming concern for their comfort. I promise they won't suffer too badly if they have to make a choice between desserts.
  • I don't understand why you don't just pick cupcakes or regular cake. If you can't afford a 4 tier cake (or however many you need) just do sheet cake.  I personally prefer sliced cake over cupcakes, but I'm not going to throw a cupcake across the room in a tantrum if that is what is offered. And definitely have enough to feed every guest.

I don't understand why she has to choose, as long as everyone gets cake. At this point, slice or cupcake, it's really about aesthetics. It's all the same cake.

Isn't it ok to have cake with different flavored tiers, even though not all guests get served every flavor (as long as they're of comparable quality)? This is pretty much the same thing.

As long as everyone is hosted well and equally, it's about taste. And it would be boring if we all had the same tastes.
  • @PoodleDoodleOoo It's truly not complicated. My guests are relaxed and easy to please. But I appreciate your overwhelming concern for their comfort. I promise they won't suffer too badly if they have to make a choice between desserts.
    When hosting an event such as a wedding reception, you should aim for your guests to be happy, not just "not suffering too badly".

Look, @KnottieTaylor - you said "There will also be a tower of cupcakes serving the guests who opt for this versus an actual slice of our cake."     What if your guests don't opt for the cupcake instead of a slice of cake?

I don't understand why she has to choose, as long as everyone gets cake. At this point, slice or cupcake, it's really about aesthetics. It's all the same cake.

Isn't it ok to have cake with different flavored tiers, even though not all guests get served every flavor (as long as they're of comparable quality)? This is pretty much the same thing.

As long as everyone is hosted well and equally, it's about taste. And it would be boring if we all had the same tastes.
    I don't think having to choose is a problem, no one is saying guests should get both. Some may prefer cupcakes, others cake. I think the point, or at least my point, is that if some guests get to choose between cake or cupcake, every guest should get to choose. Some shouldn't have to have cupcakes just because that's what is left.
  • @glasgowtolondon The bottom line here is that cupcakes are cake.. they are being made by the same bakery that is making our main cake in the exact same flavor and style.

Some people have entire cupcake towers, some have a larger cake. We're doing it 50/50. 

To clarify, my post is to ask for feedback from those who have done it this way, not to rearrange my plans.

Thanks!

@climbingwife See above. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards