Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

If you have a chocolate fountain, how much cake do you need?

Our venue offer a chocolate fountain or chocolate covered strawberries at every table. We were leaning more toward the fountain. But wondering if we would still need enough cake/cupcakes to cover everyone, or could be get by with less (because hopefully people would pig out on the fountain)?
Our count is about 150 people max. 

Re: If you have a chocolate fountain, how much cake do you need?

• I'd say have enough cake for everyone. Cake is something people expect to have at the wedding and something that they'll look for. If I was a guest I'd be eating both the cake and whatever gets dipped in the fountain.
  • edited January 2016
    I also agree with enough cake for everyone and I would do the chocolate covered strawberries. That's way you know every guest gets one and fountains can be messy and deter guests.
    ETF: autocorrect words
  • Whatever you offer you must have enough for everyone.  I also would go with the chocolate covered strawberries because all the weddings I have been to that had chocolate fountains they were just super messy.

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    Yeah, you still need to have enough cake/cupcakes for every guest. 

ETA: I am neither for or against chocolate fountains. I have seen both situations- where they turn into a mess (usually this happens when children are involved), and where they are used well. 
  • Definitely enough cake for everyone. 

That aside, I have friends who wouldn't touch a chocolate fountain with a 10 foot pole.  They are messy, crumbs get in there (depending on what you're serving with it), and people end up sticking their fingers in there (even inadvertently while trying to coat their item).  Add children in to the mix and UGH.  Also, some people don't like chocolate.  I personally would go with cake for everyone and chocolate covered strawberries as a nice bonus - NOT instead of.
  • You still need cake for everyone.

Chocolate fountains are gross IMO.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Having a chocolate fountain doesn't replace cake so please have enough cake for all of your guests. 

I also would prefer chocolate covered strawberries over a fountain. While the fountain looks cool it's messy and kind of gross when you think about people touching multiple strawberries and touching the chocolate...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvi said:
    You still need cake for everyone.

I agree - yuck!
  • JoanE2012 said:
    lyndausvi said:

I agree - yuck!
    Chocolate fountains were one of my great disappointments.  They look incredible but the chocolate is always weirdly flavorless and people just shove their hands right in them.
  • No matter what other and how many other desserts you serve, if you do a cake-cutting, you need to have enough cake for everyone, of the same or higher quality as the cake you cut. 
  • When I think chocolate fountains, I think about the one at Golden Corral buffet, the cheap place to eat food high in starch content.  I think that chocolate fountains are over.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Have enough cake available for everyone. It doesn't have to be huge slices. 

I have to agree about the chocolate fountain, to be honest. I've never been to a wedding with one, but if I was all dressed up I wouldn't go anywhere near it. 
  • RlovesR said:
    JoanE2012 said:
    lyndausvi said:

I agree - yuck!
    Chocolate fountains were one of my great disappointments.  They look incredible but the chocolate is always weirdly flavorless and people just shove their hands right in them.
    They taste waxy and flavorless.     If you are the first person then you can see the beauty.  After that the table always looks messy.  Chocolate drippings every where.    People either accidentally or purposely getting their hands in the chocolate.  Splattering chocolate every where.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • When I hear "chocolate fountain", I see this ....

• This is what I see when someone says chocolate fountain...

• MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2016

Another "Enough cake for everyone and some extra because not all people know how to cut cake and better to have more than enough" than not enough (remember to include your vendors in your count!)..

And also another vote for Chocolate Covered Strawberries!!!  The fountains when done right are good, but it's so rare to have them done right using quality chocolate.  From a Chocolatier friend who does these for events - it's the adults that are the issue with sticking extremities into them - rarely the kids and equally as gross! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards