Wedding Invitations & Paper

Model Invitations Came In Today!

Yaay! I ordered three sets, one for FI and I and one for each set of parents, so we can all review and critique before I put in the big order later this spring and mail them in May. (I know it's a bit early in the game, but I wanted to pick and design them over my winter break while I had free time... and was so excited to find a template I loved, I wanted to see what they look like in real life. Very happy with the aesthetic!)

A few questions for the experts as I review them, though. Here is how they are worded right now:

Drs. Bride's Father's Name
&
Mr. and Mrs. Grooms' Father's Name
Request the Honor of Your Presence
At the Wedding of

Bride Maiden-name
and
Groom Surname

Saturday, July 2, 2016
at one o'clock

St. XXXX Catholic Church
Street Address
Town, State

Reception to Follow

First, some background. Both my parents are medical doctors, which is why I give them the title Drs. -- this is one pet peeve they have when they are titled Dr. and Mrs., or some other combo. Both families are helping pay, which is why I list their names.

Question 1: Should I be listing my maiden last name on the invitation, or just my first name? I think I read somewhere that the bride only lists her first name, but wanted to confirm this. I don't know if it matters at all or not, but I plan on taking FI's last name, but making my maiden name my legal middle name. 

Question 2: (a) Is it appropriate to say "reception to follow", when it will, but at a different location? I give the information about the location and time  on a separate info card. (b) When I discuss the time for the reception, if the first hour is a cocktail hour, should that be specified at all (for example, "Cocktail hour will begin at 2:30 at X location. Reception to commence at 3:30")? 

Thanks, everybody. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Model Invitations Came In Today!

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    The Doctors Wilma and Fred Flintstone
    Mr. and Mrs. Barney Rubble
    request the honour of your presence
    at the Nuptial Mass uniting

Pebbles Precious Flintstone
    and
    Bambam Hunk Rubble

in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony

Saturday, the second of July
    two thousand sixteen
    at one o'clock

Saint XXXX Catholic Church
    Street Address
    Town, State

The above is traditional wording if there is going to be a Mass.  Here is an alternate wording for a church wedding:

The Doctors Wilma and Fred Flintstone
    Mr. and Mrs. Barney Rubble
    request the honour of your presence
    at the marriage of

Pebbles Precious Flintstone
    and
    Bambam Hunk Rubble

Saturday, the second of July
    two thousand sixteen
    at one o'clock

Saint XXXX Catholic Church
    Street Address
    Town, State

Only proper nouns are capitalized, the exception being "the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony" and "Nuptial Mass."  No abbreviations allowed, including "Dr., St. or &", except for Mr. and Mrs.  This wording assumes that both sets of parents are hosting your wedding.  If this is the case, you must use your full name, since it isn't obvious that you are the daughter of your parents using this format.
    "Reception to follow" is only used if your reception is being held in your church.  If it is being held anywhere else, you use a separate reception card instead. 

Reception
    Half after two o'clock
    Fancy Country Club
    123 Main Street
    City, State

About your reception, the cocktail hour is a part of the reception, so you simply state that the reception starts at "half after two o'clock".  You do not need "Reception to follow" because it is redundant.
    I am SO PROUD OF YOU for avoiding the awful "Catholic gap"
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thanks for the format, @CMGragain! I'm so glad to have figured out avoiding the Catholic gap, also (and able to explain it to my family and friends -- definitely a custom that was just taken for granted in my circle)! I feel so much better about the schedule now, and know our guests will, too! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • This isn't really etiquette just personal but I hate when the woman gets her name left out. So I like how CMGragain has "The Doctors Wilma and Fred Flintstone" with both names but then I would do Mr. Barney and Mrs. Betty Rubble. Again maybe that isn't correct etiquette wise but personally I'd prefer it. However if his parents are fine with it maybe it's fine how it is.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Pay special attention to how CMGr has the date listed.  Your original had me cringing.
  • This isn't really etiquette just personal but I hate when the woman gets her name left out. So I like how CMGragain has "The Doctors Wilma and Fred Flintstone" with both names but then I would do Mr. Barney and Mrs. Betty Rubble. Again maybe that isn't correct etiquette wise but personally I'd prefer it. However if his parents are fine with it maybe it's fine how it is.
    The alternative would be "Ms. Betty Rubble and Mr. Barney Rubble".
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards