Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

My personal vows - feedback welcomed

I'm so awful at this, so any feedback you would like to share, I would appreciate :)

Ben, I never imagined we would be standing here today when I met you on our first date, but I knew there was something special there. Our journey has been a great one; from starting our family of animals to the most amazing gift I could have ever received, our son. You are my best friend and the love of my life. You make me happier than I could ever imagined and more loved than I ever thought possible. I don’t know how I was so lucky to have found you, you are truly a blessing to me.

You are the most generous, loving, unselfish person I know and I am honored to become your wife.

I promise to be your biggest fan and partner in crime. I promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you, and to comfort you in times of sorrow and struggle. I vow not to just grow old together, but grow together. And finally I promise to love you faithfully through the good times and the bad. I give you my hand, my heart and my love. These things I give you today and all the days of our life. 

Re: My personal vows - feedback welcomed

• The first two paragraphs aren't vows. They read like a personal love letter that's best saved for when you and your FI are in private.
  • Jen4948 said:
    The first two paragraphs aren't vows. They read like a personal love letter that's best saved for when you and your FI are in private.

Ok, I was wondering about that. I've been to weddings (and watched on tv) were they say more than promises (like what I wrote above) but what I've been reading on-line are just the vows (promises).

Is that usually a big no no?

• Jen4948 said:

The first two paragraphs aren't vows. They read like a personal love letter that's best saved for when you and your FI are in private.

Ok, I was wondering about that. I've been to weddings (and watched on tv) were they say more than promises (like what I wrote above) but what I've been reading on-line are just the vows (promises).

Is that usually a big no no?

There's no wedding ceremony police, but there are a few things to consider:

1) Does your jurisdiction or your religion require you to incorporate specific wording like a "declaration of intent" into your vows to make them legally binding? If so, you need to include that in your vows.

2) The vows aren't the time to rehash the history of your relationship or how happy and loved he makes you feel and vice versa. In spite of what appears in the movies or on TV, the truth is that for many people, this is either a big yawn or just too intimate to listen to. It's best to limit vows to the actual "taking" each other as spouses and making each other serious promises you can realistically keep, and limit the "I love you" to what is said in the actual vows.
  • edited July 2015
    I'm so awful at this, so any feedback you would like to share, I would appreciate :)

Ben, I never imagined we would be standing here today when I met you on our first date, but I knew there was something special there. Our journey has been a great one; from starting our family of animals to the most amazing gift I could have ever received, our son. You are my best friend and the love of my life. You make me happier than I could ever imagined and more loved than I ever thought possible. I don’t know how I was so lucky to have found you, you are truly a blessing to me.

You are the most generous, loving, unselfish person I know and I am honored to become your wife.

I promise to be your biggest fan and partner in crime. I promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you, and to comfort you in times of sorrow and struggle. I vow not to just grow old together, but grow together. And finally I promise to love you faithfully through the good times and the bad. I give you my hand, my heart and my love. These things I give you today and all the days of our life. 
    Put the first two paragraphs in a nice card- they are not vows.  By definition, vows are promises you make- you've made no promises in the first two paragraphs.

The rest is great; lovely even! 

Do make sure if there are any legal requirements that you address those if needed.  We're writing our own vows but the "declaration of intent" is a separate part that contains all the legal stuff we need to cover.  You should ensure you don't have certain things you must do for your state / jurisdiction to recognize your marriage.

Cheers!

I just wrote mine and had some feedback from other Knotties and it was helpful. 

ETA:  I particularly love this part; wish I'd written it myself.  I vow not to just grow old together, but grow together.
  • Im finding that more often than not the vows sound like your initial post on "vimeo" wedding videos . I think it translate really nice to the guest and video as long as the vows are there.

• @CRBombshell the last post on this thread was over 6 months ago. I'm going to close the thread. For future reference, it is better to start a new thread than resurrect a zombie.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards