Registry and Gift Forum

2 Sets of Family China

We're looking for a house (woo!) and I'm trying to get some ideas of how I could display both sets of Family china that we received. They are COMPLETELY different looking. One set is old english and looks like this:

And the other set is like a Black with pink flower Japanese set (which was my mother's set, so I absolutely have to display that one). 

I was just curious if anyone had any ideas? Ideally, I would put the Old English china with a bonus room/basement bar or something, but I don't know if we'll have that type of room with the house we choose. 

Re: 2 Sets of Family China

• If you have a traditional dining room, display one set in there. You might also look for kitchen cabinets with glass fronted doors (like a built in china cabinet), then the other set could be displayed in the kitchen. Of the old english, do you have complete plate settings?

• If you have a traditional dining room, display one set in there. You might also look for kitchen cabinets with glass fronted doors (like a built in china cabinet), then the other set could be displayed in the kitchen. Of the old english, do you have complete plate settings?

It's a 12-piece set of dinner plates, saucers and cups. No additional pieces. That's a great idea to display some in the actual kitchen with glass doors. Thank you! 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    It sounds as id the two sets are different levels of formality.  The English set isn't "china".  It is pottery, which is more informal.  The Japanese set (Noritake?  Mikasa?) is probably porcelain, but I can't tell without a photo.  It would be more formal.  (Yes, I'm into antiques and collectibles!)  Porcelain is less fragile than pottery.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • That English set looks more to be commemorative dishware rather than china- Something that is mean to be displayed rather than eaten off of.  It also has the new redesigned Buckingham Palace facade, so it can't be older than c.1920 at the earliest

But yes, display in a glass cabinet seems to be the best way. You can actually get nice, glass door cabinets complete with spotlight features relatively inexpensively at Ikea. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards