Wedding Party

Guys side: tuxes and military uniforms

Our wedding is not "a military wedding" which is why I am not posting this on that forum thread but my fiance's older brother is a Marine and we have two other friends in the military (another Marine and Airforce) Is it strange to have the three of them in their dress blues if my fiance is not actually in the military? We were just going to have the rest of the guys wear a traditional black and white tux. I figured having the guys in their dress blues would be a way of honoring them and their service and simply save them $ on renting a tux. They all are okay with it but I wasn't sure if this is weird. Just looking for feedback. 

Re: Guys side: tuxes and military uniforms

• Our wedding is not "a military wedding" which is why I am not posting this on that forum thread but my fiance's older brother is a Marine and we have two other friends in the military (another Marine and Airforce) Is it strange to have the three of them in their dress blues if my fiance is not actually in the military? We were just going to have the rest of the guys wear a traditional black and white tux. I figured having the guys in their dress blues would be a way of honoring them and their service and simply save them $ on renting a tux. They all are okay with it but I wasn't sure if this is weird. Just looking for feedback. 
    Nope. Not strange at all. My DH's best friend, who he actually calls his brother, was his best man. He is in the Army and asked to wear his dress blues. It was awesome.

• They should only wear their dress blues if they want to wear their dress blues.  Not all service men want to wear their dress uniforms at a non-military event.  So I would give them the option, not just tell them that they have to wear them.  But it certainly would not look weird.

And I am with ShesSoCold, any man in a military dress uniform is super swoon worthy.
    The bolded - very true. Our original WP had 3 military officers (one GM dropped out as he was deployed at the time of our wedding). None of them seemed very keen on wearing their dress uniforms, and we were okay with that.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Definitely ask them what their preference is. I am a 26 year vet and as proud as I was to wear the uniform, every time I had to wear the dress uniform it was a pain in the ass to be honest. Is this 1/4 inch away from the collar and is this 3/4 inch away from that seam - and God forbid if I got it dirty and had to take everything off to get it cleaned. I really really really was proud to wear the uniform, but dress uniforms are a pain. I wouldn't want to wear one somewhere that wasn't required and I know many of my peers feel the same. Just ask them - and how kind of you to think of them!!
  • I think you should let your fi focus on what his GMs will wear. And you should focus on apologizing to your BM.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm with other posters. Pick out the tuxes and let the guys know that you are fine with them either wearing a tux or their dress blues, whatever they prefer. They all may opt for dress blues, only one may, or none of them. I like that you are thinking of it also from a cost saving perspective.
  • KatWAG said:
    I think you should let your fi focus on what his GMs will wear. And you should focus on apologizing to your BM.

Ooooh good catch!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Oh my God. If you are so concerned, my bridesmaid and I spoke and she fully admitted she screwed up on her end. I said 'sorry' for the miscommunication to which she said she had zero place speaking the way she did and when I asked her if I'd been a bitch of a bride she said 'no, not at all.'

Are you happy? Are you really here to 'catch' other people? When someone asks for help or advice, you don't ridicule them when you don't even fully understand the entire situation. I am so happy for you that you are able to comprehend other people's lives here on the Internet in one posting.

Thank you to those who answered my question about the tuxes. We did ask them if they would rather rent a tux or save money and they said save money so we will do just that. Thanks!
  • Oh my God. If you are so concerned, my bridesmaid and I spoke and she fully admitted she screwed up on her end. I said 'sorry' for the miscommunication to which she said she had zero place speaking the way she did and when I asked her if I'd been a bitch of a bride she said 'no, not at all.' Are you happy? Are you really here to 'catch' other people? When someone asks for help or advice, you don't ridicule them when you don't even fully understand the entire situation. I am so happy for you that you are able to comprehend other people's lives here on the Internet in one posting. Thank you to those who answered my question about the tuxes. We did ask them if they would rather rent a tux or save money and they said save money so we will do just that. Thanks!
    I'm confused. You spoke to the bridesmaid and cleared it all up, but you didn't say so in your thread about it? You say so here after someone makes a snarky remark about it that doesn't relate to your question in this thread. Interesting. Seems like you'd have updated your other thread with that information. 

Nobody is here to "catch" anyone. It's not like you didn't post about the bridesmaid here on TK and she found it off board and brought it here or something. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • My FI is in the Marines, as are two of his GM and his Best man (brother) was in the Army. None of them are wearing their uniforms, but that was a personal preference. He decided that even though the military has controlled abut 80% of our lives together (we have been together for other 6 years) that our wedding is just that-between us and it's a finally a moment in our lives that is not determined by the military (haha). He instead is getting them all Marine Corps/Army cuff links and I think we are going to have the cake topper be military themed. It would have been nice to save some money since they all have their uniforms ready to go, but on the other hand it will be nice to see him in a tux for the first time in 5 years :) (He has wore one of his uniforms (dress blues or alphas) for about every formal event since he joined the Marines 5 years ago)

That was one of the hardest decisions my FI made about the wedding, but he decided on the cuff links and a few small Marine Corps items throughout the day instead. (Then we also don't have to make sure we are breaking any codes in any pictures, or that I am standing on the wrong side and someone takes a picture, etc.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards