Moms and Maids

His female bestie and sister

collegechiccollegechic member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited January 2016 in Moms and Maids
My fiancé has a very close friend who is a female and then there's the FSIL. I know traditionally all of the females stand on the bride's side and the men on the groom's side, but they may want to stand on his side (we haven't asked for their preference, which we thought would be better than placing them since I've never met the friend and his sister and I have a...rocky history), but my parents think it's really weird (too weird) to have "groomsmaids". Thoughts?

((If they were they would still be invited to anything that involves the general BP, I wouldn't want them to be left out of that simply because of where they're standing!))

Re: His female bestie and sister

• If FI wants them in his WP, they stand on his side. 
  • I love seeing mixed sides and I am surely of  your parent's generation.  I suggest googling some pictures of this to show them that it is far more common than they think.
  • My SIL is getting married this spring and her FI's sister is standing up on his side. Not weird at all.
  • downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2016
    My fiancé has a very close friend who is a female and then there's the FSIL. I know traditionally all of the females stand on the bride's side and the men on the groom's side, but they may want to stand on his side (we haven't asked for their preference, which we thought would be better than placing them since I've never met the friend and his sister and I have a...rocky history), but my parents think it's really weird (too weird) to have "groomsmaids". Thoughts? ((If they were they would still be invited to anything that involves the general BP, I wouldn't want them to be left out of that simply because of where they're standing!))
    Your parents don't get to pick the wedding party.

There is nothing wrong with FI having these women on his side; frankly, since he's the one who's close to them, it makes a lot more sense.

ETA: Personally I think "groomswomen" is probably a better term.

• Thanks for the feedback everyone! I didn't think it was weird at all until my Mom made a face haha. Surely she'll be okay as the time comes. :)

Thanks again everyone!
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone! I didn't think it was weird at all until my Mom made a face haha. Surely she'll be okay as the time comes. :) Thanks again everyone!
    In 2006 my sister and I were groomswomen in my cousin's wedding.  We got nothing but compliments.
  • One of my best friends is a guy, he's going to be my bridesgay ( his words). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards