Chit Chat

Menstrual on the wedding day?!!?! eeek!

So last month my menstrual decided to change and occur on the 18th (its usually around the 8th) ... I'm getting married on the 20th of THIS month.... so I DO NOT want my period on my wedding day obviously... this may sound stupid but is there ANY way I can make my it come sooner????? Surprised
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Menstrual on the wedding day?!!?! eeek!

• Are you on birth control?? If so, you can start a new pack right away and skip it. Completely fine to do as per my doctor.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
    image Our Furbaby Beaker imageimage
  • Yeah, besides BC I don't think there are any other ways to control it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm not on birth control, I was but it actually made my period worse... so I stopped using it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • There are no ways to make your period arrive sooner.  Sorry that's not what you want to hear, I know.  Too bad you had such bad effects on BC pills.  Have you tried different kinds?  I had to try 7 (over the course of about 10 years) before I found the one that was right for me.  Our wedding is next Saturday and that's when I'm supposed to be on mine but I'm going to skip the inactive week of pills next week and start right up on the new pack.  It's ok to do if you don't do it often. The last time I did it was sometime back last year I think.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • how long ago were you on birth control? if it wasnt too long ago get back on birth control! that will delay your period until you are done with the pack. it might make your period the next month a little irregular.
    but it it was like a year or two ago, you can try it but sometimes when you start birth control for the first time ( or restarting it) it can make you spot a little bit. BUT if you start the pack now, you might spot for the first week, and since you have about 3 weeks you should be fine.

thats all I could think of, good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_menstrual-wedding-day-eeek?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:27348b00-9b07-4974-897b-cce16f68a319Post:9238a1dc-5a57-4751-910e-6caba329b501">Re: Menstrual on the wedding day?!!?! eeek!</a>:
    [QUOTE]There are no ways to make your period arrive sooner.  Sorry that's not what you want to hear, I know.  Too bad you had such bad effects on BC pills.  Have you tried different kinds?  I had to try 7 (over the course of about 10 years) before I found the one that was right for me.  Our wedding is next Saturday and that's when I'm supposed to be on mine but I'm going to skip the inactive week of pills next week and start right up on the new pack.  <strong>It's ok to do if you don't do it often</strong>. The last time I did it was sometime back last year I think.
    Posted by jmkes[/QUOTE
    ]
    JMKES:
    just wondering, I have my period 3-4 times a year, my doctor says its completely healthy, and I get horrible cramps so she said its ok to do it even less, I have been wondering if it is unhealthy for my body to do this, I have researched it and I find that, they say its fine. Has your doctor said different?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Having your period on your wedding day isn't the worst thing in the world.  I had mine, and just made sure to put a tampon in before I put on my dress, and then once again during the reception.  Be sure to take your dress off first to prevent any accidents. 
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_menstrual-wedding-day-eeek?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:27348b00-9b07-4974-897b-cce16f68a319Post:36236983-de3f-4cf0-8676-492a935ac92d">Re: Menstrual on the wedding day?!!?! eeek!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Menstrual on the wedding day?!!?! eeek! : [QUOTE]There are no ways to make your period arrive sooner.  Sorry that's not what you want to hear, I know.  Too bad you had such bad effects on BC pills.  Have you tried different kinds?  I had to try 7 (over the course of about 10 years) before I found the one that was right for me.  Our wedding is next Saturday and that's when I'm supposed to be on mine but I'm going to skip the inactive week of pills next week and start right up on the new pack.  It's ok to do if you don't do it often . The last time I did it was sometime back last year I think. Posted by jmkes[/QUOTE ] JMKES: just wondering, I have my period 3-4 times a year, my doctor says its completely healthy, and I get horrible cramps so she said its ok to do it even less, I have been wondering if it is unhealthy for my body to do this, I have researched it and I find that, they say its fine. Has your doctor said different?
    Posted by ashley1721[/QUOTE]

I'm a nurse and used to work in women's surgery, so I have experience with women's health.  You could put 20 ob/gyns in a room and they'd all tell you something different.  My personal ob/gyn did tell me it's ok to skip the inactive week of BCs just occasionally.  Now, there are forms of contraception that are meant to give you periods 3 or 4 times a year.  But these methods are meant to perform in that manner.  As far as I know 30-day BC pills are not meant for that purpose.  You should use any drug in the manner that it is intended to be used as prescribed by your doc.  If you trust your doc, and you and your doc discuss and come up with a plan for your health that makes you feel better with cramping, etc. then go with that.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Every time this comes up, I'm amazed.  Every. time.

There are thirty billion layers to your dress.  Do you think you'll bleed through?  Didn't you master that problem in seventh grade?

Are you worried about sex?  That part would throw me, but hey. It's not the end of the world.

I know none of this is optimal, but neither are many things in life.
  • A lot of changes have been made to BCP in just a few years.  I'd give it a try again.  I've actually been to several doctors in the past few years since I've been moving around geographically and every single one has told me there's nothing unhealthy about skipping your period whatsoever (and as often as you like!).  I'd have a talk with your doctor about your concerns about BC and she should be able to recommend something for you.  There are so many options.

I wouldn't want it on my wedding day either.  For me, it's about the dress or sex or anything like that...I just feel crummy and crampy!

• I don't think it's outrageous that the OP is a little dissapointed that she might not have sex on her wedding night.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_menstrual-wedding-day-eeek?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:27348b00-9b07-4974-897b-cce16f68a319Post:243ea385-3754-4226-a2e6-c759d5eeb8f0">Re: Menstrual on the wedding day?!!?! eeek!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it's outrageous that the OP is a little dissapointed that she might not have sex on her wedding night.
    Posted by SineadHickey[/QUOTE]

I agree - and it's not even about the sex - I wouldn't want to feel so crappy on my wedding day.  I'm one of those 4 times a year people and those 4 weeks are horrible.

Besides, I keep hearing how hard it is for brides to pee with their dress on, let alone having to change out "things" every now and then.  That's not fun.

Sorry OP - I guess the only other way to stop it is to get knocked up! (not advised, lol)
  • Don't feel bad, I'm right there with ya! I am getting married on the 20th as well and my period will be due that day or a couple of days after. I am actually hoping it will start that day if it must, because there is nothing worse than feeling fat and ugly the couple of days before.

• At least you know when yours is coming so that you can prepare.  I get my period for a couple of days and then it goes away and then comes back a few days later. its horrible i never know when its going to happen so it could just start up randomly on my wedding day or not. : (
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Anniversary
  • If you aren't on birthcontrol I'd suggest taking a tablespoon of vinegar the day before and the day of. The vinegar is supposed to stop the flow. One of my friends does it every once in a while when her period comes at a not so great time.

• im petrified im going to have mine. i wont actually know until the day of since im extremly irregular. I would be devestaed to have it. When I do have it, Im in the rest room every 20 minutes, dosent matter if its super plus. I wouldnt want to take my wedding dress off that much. I'd  miss so much of the reception. we're abstaining from sex this year until we're married so It would be nice to have sex when we're officially husband and wife.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_menstrual-wedding-day-eeek?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:27348b00-9b07-4974-897b-cce16f68a319Post:072d1446-12ac-4f37-be28-05389f769f0c">Re: Menstrual on the wedding day?!!?! eeek!</a>:
    [QUOTE]At least you know when yours is coming so that you can prepare.  I get my period for a couple of days and then it goes away and then comes back a few days later. its horrible i never know when its going to happen so it could just start up randomly on my wedding day or not. : (
    Posted by DanielleZZ[/QUOTE]

Ugg, how annoying! That's why I'm on BC - I use to get it sometimes for weeks - then miss a few months.  I always had to be prepared for whenever it would happen - and wonder when it would go away!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_menstrual-wedding-day-eeek?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:27348b00-9b07-4974-897b-cce16f68a319Post:072d1446-12ac-4f37-be28-05389f769f0c">Re: Menstrual on the wedding day?!!?! eeek!</a>:
    [QUOTE]At least you know when yours is coming so that you can prepare.  I get my period for a couple of days and then it goes away and then comes back a few days later. its horrible i never know when its going to happen so it could just start up randomly on my wedding day or not. : (
    Posted by DanielleZZ[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm the same way! I even got an IUD and I STILL have it, and it's completely irregular. I've never been regular and no matter what BC I was on (and believe me...I've been on TONS) I was always that way. I'm just hoping and hoping and hoping it'll hold off!</div>
  • Tula, does the BCP help with the depression anger stuff? Thats what I have, much like Premenstral Disorder. I could hit someone with my car very easily lol
    Anniversary
  • Do you not have friends you can talk to about this? I'm just always amazed at what people will put out there on national boards.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_menstrual-wedding-day-eeek?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:27348b00-9b07-4974-897b-cce16f68a319Post:6faa62d8-f078-4abd-ae59-1ba7cb107d6c">Re: Menstrual on the wedding day?!!?! eeek!</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you aren't on birthcontrol I'd suggest taking a tablespoon of vinegar the day before and the day of. The vinegar is supposed to stop the flow. One of my friends does it every once in a while when her period comes at a not so great time.
    Posted by Hietaro[/QUOTE]

I would caution against trying this the day before and day of the wedding.

I'm not entirely sure how this would have an effect since your uterus is not at all attached to your GI track, and the only active ingredient in vinegar is the carboxylic acid, acetic acid (with other trace acids like tartaric acid). Then again, I'm not sure what these acids may metabolize into  - it may possibly be something useful to prevent heavy periods.

Regardless, acetic acid may drop the pH in your stomach causing nausea (aka makes your stomach too acidic). If you were going to try this, I would suggest trying it now (with or without your period) just to see how you react to drinking the vinegar; it is less likely to cause trouble if you try it with a full stomach - but I have no idea if that would make the remedy less effective.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_menstrual-wedding-day-eeek?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:27348b00-9b07-4974-897b-cce16f68a319Post:cc389b97-d60a-415e-b2c0-fd7ff5b789fa">Re: Menstrual on the wedding day?!!?! eeek!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you not have friends you can talk to about this? I'm just always amazed at what people will put out there on national boards.
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

C'mon, Cew.  Don't bring logic in here.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_menstrual-wedding-day-eeek?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:27348b00-9b07-4974-897b-cce16f68a319Post:b87742e6-731e-48a0-bd43-35be2a5ccc83">Re: Menstrual on the wedding day?!!?! eeek!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tula, does the BCP help with the depression anger stuff? Thats what I have, much like Premenstral Disorder. I could hit someone with my car very easily lol
    Posted by karmellah[/QUOTE]

I have some perspective on this -

Some BCPs made the depression worse for me.  My doc explained that the pills release the hormones in doses so you could have raging mood swings, especially when you start a new pack.

I'm on the Nuva Ring - which is a constant release of low-dose hormones.  Periods are regulated, light, and PMS is not that big of a deal anymore.  Cramps still suck but don't make me ill anymore. 
  • Well spend your time with lots of women unrelated to you.  Your body will synchronize with them...Im not kidding it happens with me all the time.  I also hear being stressed out will postpone or bring it up sooner.  IF you should have a period do an overnight Always Infinity pad.  I have to use this cuz I bleed too heavily for tampons or any other brand.  Whats nice about the infinity that I use is instead of changing pads 3-4x a day I only have to do it twice!  Sorry if my post was TMI but I hope some of my info helps you out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • One that I was on made it worse. The one I'm on now, and the first brand worked great (first one made me gain 20 lbs). I literally could not stand myself, and neither could anyone else. It was horrific, not matter what time of the month. As long as I take the pill every day I'm fine.

You just need to find what works for you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Don't Depo! You might miss your period, but chances are high that you'll gain 10lbs and become a raving biitch for 3 months.
  • If you feel crappy during your periods, take an Aleve every 8 hours or so. It works absolute wonders.

If you're worried about sex, you could try these: http://www.softcup.com/

I don't use them regularly, but I have used them before and my FI barely even knows that they're there and there's no problem with messiness. They can be a bit messy when you change them, but for the sake of sex on my wedding night and honeymoon, I would use them in a heartbeat.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It must be an epedimic, our day is the 20th also and my peruiod decided to change last month also. All we can reslly do is hope that it will change this month and be late or really early! GL
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards