Not Engaged Yet

Tattoos

Alright ladies,  I think I've decided to bite the bullet and get my first tattoo.  I think I've settled on "Streng dich an" on the inside of my right wrist.  It translates to "Push yourself", and I'm set on white ink so that I can hide it pretty easily if I ever need to.  However, I'm one of those people that freaks out about little things, so ease my mind.
Tell me about your tattoos.  Did they hurt?  Where are they?  Show them off for me!
Mast and I are going Wednesday.  I just need to make the appointment.
I french with my man
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Tattoos

• edited December 2011
    That sounds really cool. I like the idea of white ink, but I've never gotten a tattoo. Good luck!
  • elanniselannis member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The good news is that it won't take long to do a tattoo like that, so it shouldn't be too bad. The white ink is kinda neat. My friend got one like that and then decided she wanted color instead, but it was so easy to change it, so you can always do that later too if you want.

Just be prepared to get addicted, lol.

I'm also going to be getting one on my wrist when I get to my goal weight. I finally decided on a place and think I have the message too.

Liv: I hope you don't mind, but I loved your phrase so much better than what I had thought of and felt that it really spoke to mee too, so I'm thinking about using it! I am not going to get it in Latin though. I'm a Spanish translator, so I'd get it in Spanish. I hope you don't mind me copying, lol, but I loved it!
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I have never liked tattoos, never had anything I wanted on my body permanently...and then I ended up with a guy who has 5! If it has special meaning to you and you feel comfortable with other's seeing it in all types of situations then go for it! BF says his didn't really hurt unless they we're close to the bone...but really nothing bad.
  • edited December 2011
    White tattoos look very cool. I have heard that they fade very very quickly compared to traditional black. It sounds exciting though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    For now I'm limiting myself to just this one.  If I do get into grad school, I'm getting a shark on me somewhere.  Probably my ankle.  I don't want anything too visible until I find a career.  And then we'll see what the circumstances are.  If I can't have visible ones, I'm done.  If I can, I may go crazy.

Liv, I was thinking a pretty flowing script.  Maybe like:

or 

I french with my man
  • elanniselannis member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tattoos-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:79b67244-d165-477e-b019-314c19f5dc7aPost:8cfe4b14-055a-4232-8cdd-484497b37206">Re: Tattoos</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tattoos : That's great! I'm glad it spoke to you, too. How do you say it in Spanish? I think it's a wonderful saying. We can be sorta tattoo twins!
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

Haha, as weird as it sounds, I'm happy you're ok with me sharing your idea, lol.

It'd be:

Mientras respiro, espero.
    -Ely

• elanniselannis member
    edited December 2011
    "White tattoos look very cool. I have heard that they fade very very quickly compared to traditional black. It sounds exciting though!" ~swhite

For some reason it's not letting me quote swhite, but I wanted to add that some places do free touchups for life if you get them done there. So you might want to look into that in case it fades.
    -Ely

• pockysquirrelpockysquirrel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay tats! I have two myself. The first one I ever got was the Japanese kanji for 'endurance' on my shoulderblade. I was really nervous, particularly since I don't like needles (Getting shots or piercings makes me pass out for some reason), but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought! My second is the phrase "Only for now" on my ankle, which is a line from Avenue Q which sort of also became my personal mantra. That one hurt a lot more, both because it's an area with more bone and because the little spaces in the font were so small that the artist filled them in with an outlining needle. Major ouch. So worth it, though!

Also, if anyone remembers the TV show "Inked" from about 5 years ago, I got my second tattoo done at Hart and Huntington while on vacation to Vegas. Bragging rights, LOL.
    October 2012 December Siggy - A Favorite Wedding Photo image
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tattoos-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:79b67244-d165-477e-b019-314c19f5dc7aPost:20d0b992-3821-4997-b128-31b7dc97c1ca">Re: Tattoos</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yay tats! I have two myself. The first one I ever got was the Japanese kanji for 'endurance' on my shoulderblade. I was really nervous, particularly since I don't like needles (<strong>Getting shots or piercings makes me pass out for some reason</strong>), but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought! My second is the phrase "Only for now" on my ankle, which is a line from Avenue Q which sort of also became my personal mantra. That one hurt a lot more, both because it's an area with more bone and because the little spaces in the font were so small that the artist filled them in with an outlining needle. Major ouch. So worth it, though! Also, if anyone remembers the TV show "Inked" from about 5 years ago, I got my second tattoo done at Hart and Huntington while on vacation to Vegas. Bragging rights, LOL.
    Posted by pockysquirrel[/QUOTE]

<div>This makes me feel a LOT better.  I am terrified of needles, and shots and having blood drawn make me pass out.  I'm good with piercings though.  Holy cow.  This has been like the one thing that he hasn't been able to convince me of, so I'm glad there's someone else!</div>
    I french with my man
  • edited December 2011
    peek: try dafont.com - it's a font generator that a lot of tattooists use themselves. You can enter in your phrase and see it generated in hundreds of different fonts.

I have 6 tattoos. I don't have any pictures at the moment cus I'm at work though.

I started when I was 19 and I'm looking to get a 7th one soon. 5 of them are in black ink, only one is in color.

1. On my right hip: tragedy/comedy masks (for my love of theater)
    2. Leaping bunny rabbit on my right ankle (my Chinese zodiac is a rabbit and I love bunnies)
    3. "Viva La Vie Boheme" on my right Achilles tendon (from the musical Rent; it eans "long live the bohemian life")
    4. A peace sign inside of a heart on the back of my neck (for inner peace)
    5. "Things have changed for me, and that's okay" across my back (Panic at the Disco song lyrics)
    6. American Culinary Federation logo on my right calf (the only one in color: red, blue and yellow; this was a memorial for my dad, who was an ACF member)

The one that hurt the most was the rabbit, because there's like, no padding above the ankle. Also, the calf tattoo hurt because it's all muscle and I started having spasms while the needle was going.

The least painful was the neck and the back. I actually fell asleep while my back tattoo was getting done because my tattooist is so gentle and the sound of the needle is kind of soothing after awhile.

You get used to the pain VERY quickly. It's GOING to hurt, there is no pain-free area. But after awhile, it will feel no worse than scratching.

I did my undergrad thesis on tattooing; I have an overwhelming knowledge on this subject O.o

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • edited December 2011
    I showed all of mine off last week, after I got my last one. I have them on both wrists now - I went with my left wrist, because it's less visable (especially during interviews or whatever, you shake hands with your right hand). When I decided to get the breast cancer one for my  mom, she wanted me to get it on my wrist (because she has one there too), and I figured if anyone makes a comment about it, screw them! haha!

The worst for me, by far, was my ribs. My feet didn't bother me at all, and neither did my wrists. The cherry blossoms on the right side of my back & the koi fish on my lower back/hip weren't bad, except for when they got near the rib area.

The white ink is pretty... it's healing different than my black tattoos, and it looks pretty heinous right now, so be prepared for that, haha. But I like how subtle & pretty it will look when it's all done. :-)

*******************************************************************************************

• paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I want a tat! But I need to get to and stay at my goal weight first. Blech...
  • cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I have a Clemson tiger paw tattoo'd on my left hip. The outline of it hurt like crazy, but it only hurt while they were actually drawing it. The rest was uncomfortable but not painful. I've been ready to get my next tattoo for years but haven't been able to decide what/where. I want to get a cross, maybe on my wrist... I think the white ink idea sounds cool!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• elanniselannis member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tattoos-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:79b67244-d165-477e-b019-314c19f5dc7aPost:5314be02-66bd-4911-b523-cb8fc5ecd5e8">Re: Tattoos</a>:
    [QUOTE]I want a tat! But I need to get to and stay at my goal weight first. Blech...
    Posted by paintgirl[/QUOTE]

Me too! And I just want to ditto the "blech" part. My body is not cooperating, lol.
    -Ely

• deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got one last month! On the back of my neck. Some parts hurt, but honestly, I was so beat that I was falling asleep at times. lol

The symbol is from MJ's history album, but I got it to mark two years off depression medication.
    ~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
    Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    Whenever there's a tattoo thread I start feeling the urge to go straight to the nearest parlor and get a Harry Potter tattoo.  Oy.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tattoos-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:79b67244-d165-477e-b019-314c19f5dc7aPost:33106b37-bfb5-456a-8220-6451169971cb">Re: Tattoos</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whenever there's a tattoo thread I start feeling the urge to go straight to the nearest parlor and get a Harry Potter tattoo.  Oy.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

<div>Deathly Hallows behind your ear.  Siriously.  BFF has a treble clef (I think) there and it took me 4 years to notice it.</div>
    I french with my man
  • doubleSS07doubleSS07 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love tattoos..I have 4 larger ones a 2 tiny ones on my hand (I was 14..stupid).  I have a colorful sun and a large tribal on my lower back that goes from hip to hip, a small one on my ankle and I just got a new one on the back of my neck.  It's the only one I have an availible picture of.  It's called Aya and it's a symbol for strength, endurance and perserverance.  I got it after I completed my first half marathon.  It definitely hurt but it wasn't unbearable.  I like that I can totally cover it with my hair and no one at work knows the difference!

• pockysquirrelpockysquirrel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tattoos-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:79b67244-d165-477e-b019-314c19f5dc7aPost:958b3b04-a094-47a0-bbd7-bf30bfa1a1c0">Re: Tattoos</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tattoos : This makes me feel a LOT better.  I am terrified of needles, and shots and having blood drawn make me pass out.  I'm good with piercings though.  Holy cow.  This has been like the one thing that he hasn't been able to convince me of, so I'm glad there's someone else!
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>If you're good with piercings, you're already in better shape than I am, LOL. I'm honestly not sure why tattoos are different? Maybe because it's more of a scratchy-vibratey-stingy feeling than an 'oh my god somone's pushing a sharp bit of metal into my flesh' feeling? IDK. All I know is that tattoos are the only needles I don't have problems with. Just make sure you're well hydrated and your blood sugar is at a good level (I drank a bunch of Capri Sun during my first one, LOL.), don't look if looking bothers you with other needles, and don't be afraid to ask your artist to stop for a second if it starts to hurt too badly. Your design is small enough that you should have no trouble at all.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm glad my needle fail and I were able to help. :)</div>
    October 2012 December Siggy - A Favorite Wedding Photo image
  • LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I have one at the moment.

(it's a little raw cause this was right after I got it done)

I got it from my stepfather for my college graduation. It is on my right thigh up towards the top of my leg. It stands for Boston and Irish heritage. I figure I will always be from Boston, and I will always be Irish so this was a perfect fit!

I want another one too, I want the word "Family" in a nice script.
    friends tv show funy
  • edited December 2011
    I have two tattoos (at the moment), and I got both in one sitting. The tattoo artist apparently thought that was pretty ballsy...I just figured knocking them both out of the way would keep me from chickening out if the pain was unbearable on the first (lol).

I got a blue morpho butterfly in honor of my grandmother (she loved blue and she loved butterflies)...my sister got a nearly identical tattoo the same day, and my cousins are planning to get the same one once they are of legal age. I also have Chinese symbols for hope, faith, love and integrity - the four things in life you should never live without, and never take for granted.

I am planning on getting a few more...I eventually plan to get a pheonix on my side to symbolize all the hell I've been through in the past few years (waiting to hit my goal weight and/or have our first child before I get that one done), and I'll eventually have our childrens' names tattooed somewhere (once we're done having them). I may get a winged runners foot after my first half marathon...we'll see. :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

• DanieKADanieKA member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yay tattoos!!!! I have one. Or 3 small ones if you really think about it (it's a cluster of stars/crescent moon). It's on my upper right thigh. I wanted a place I could easily hide, and I didn't want it on my lower back, so that's where I landed. 

Mine didn't hurt at all, but I picked a pretty fleshy place. Since it wasn't directly on the bone or where  there might not be a lot of fat, I think that really helped. I got mine when I was 19 (happy 10 year tattoo!) and I don't regret it for a second. It's faded a bit, and sometimes I even forget it's there until I see it in the mirror, but I like my little tattoo. 

I've often thought about getting another, but I really want it to mean something so I think I'll just wait until I have kids and get their initials somewhere. Nothing else seems to be big enough/significant enough to me, yet. 

Good luck with yours! That sounds awesome!!!
  • edited December 2011
    There isn't really a spot that doesn't hurt to get tattooed, but if it is something you really want it won't be that bad. I just got my first tattoo this summer and I was so scared that it was going to be unbearable, but it really wasn't that bad. The last twenty minutes hurt, as I had already been there for 6 hours getting tattooed. Here is a picture of what I got:

This was right after I got it done, so pardon the raw-ness. I went with a friend to get her wrist tattooed and she said it wasn't that bad and she was only in the chair for about 15 minutes. Good luck!
    PitaPata Dog tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Aw yay! That's so exciting :) I have five. I have two on my ribs, two on my back and one on my ankle. I'm also thinking about a sixth one :) The ribs and back ones hurt pretty bad, but it' was well worth it. The ankle one is little and cute and didn't take long, nor did it hurt very bad :)
  • edited December 2011
    miss fashion I like that! I want a gypsy on my arm with roses and such. The only thing keeping me from getting more tattoos right now is the fact that they're so expensive :( but so worth it!

Peek I am usually a big baby when it comes to pain but tattoos are not bad at all. My artist also says women sit better and don't complain because they're tougher :)
    We're pretty much built for pain so yeah

edited December 2011
    Oceana, what I'm hearing is that you can't be a marine biologist unless you have tattoos and enjoy tequila.  Is that correct?

Squee!!!  I'm starting to really get excited!  My appointment is Wed at 530.  The artist wants to talk me out of white because he says it's going to not be as visible, but that was kind of the whole point.  At least until I figure out what my career is going to be.  So, I'll AW when I get done.  :)

You ladies have done quite a bit to ease my fears.  And Mast promised to hold my hand.  So, that's always a plus.  :)
    I french with my man
  • CleverThoughtCleverThought member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tattoos-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:79b67244-d165-477e-b019-314c19f5dc7aPost:33106b37-bfb5-456a-8220-6451169971cb">Re: Tattoos</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whenever there's a tattoo thread I start feeling the urge to go straight to the nearest parlor and get a Harry Potter tattoo.  Oy.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]
    Sometimes I seriously consider getting a tattoo that says <span class="st"> I solemnly swear that I a<em>m up to no good</em></span>

I've also considered getting the following:

<font face="georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif">It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities

</font><font face="georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif">Curiosity is not a sin

Until the very end

I don't know that I would ever do it, but maybe in a moment of weakness I will.

To the OP: I have one on my foot. It symbolizes a friend whom passed away. It really didn't hurt to bad and it's something I know I will always appreciate and never regret even as I age.
    </font>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Training to be the next companion.

• edited December 2011
    leese- thank you! I got a pretty good deal on mine since I went to the same artist that did one of BF arms ( he has a 3/4 sleeve on each arm) and I happened to know a lot of other people that he has tattooed so he cut me a little bit of a deal
    PitaPata Dog tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    missfashion - that is GORGEOUS. I'll be getting a pretty major rib piece done eventually... so even though my first rib tattoo was the worst, it hasn't discouraged me from getting the other side done.

On a side note, I love that so many of you have and love tattoos! A lot of my friends (including my very best friend) HATE tattoos, and give me crap about mine all the time. I don't care, in the way that they're mine, and I don't care what people think, but it is nice to be accepted & appreciated for them too :-)

*******************************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards