Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Photographer AND Videographer?! Any regrets on having just one or both?! Read more: http://boards.w

Hello, 

I was fortunate enough to hire a fantastic photographer for my January, 2017 wedding. Photos are a very high priority for me, so second to the ceremony and reception sites, this was the next vendor I booked.

I’ve been tossing around the possibility of also hiring a videgrapher but am not sure if it is worth the investment. It looks as if average price for a videographer is starting around 2200. 

For all my past brides,and brides currently planning- 

Did you have a videographer? Any regrets on that decision? Did you find that your photographer and videographer had a hard time working around each other?  I am as conflicted as ever!

Re: Photographer AND Videographer?! Any regrets on having just one or both?! Read more: http://boards.w

• We were only going to do photography but then I kept reading about how a ton of people regret not getting video also and I started realizing that there is a lot pictures can't show. For example a picture can't capture us saying our vows or the voices of people who speak. Plus I can see us watching the video on our anniversaries or after we have a fight. Well we still couldn't afford it so we were looking at alternatives such as just buying a gopro or something but then we both got nice bonuses at work and decided to use it on a videographer. I haven't gotten to see the video yet but I'm really excited for it and have no regrets.

Our videographer, photographer, and DJ all have worked together in the past at our venue so they worked seamlessly together. I'd recommend asking your photographer for recommendations on who they've worked with before so that you know they'll work together well for your event. We're really glad we did that and they each even gave us a bonus booking with both of them. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hello, 

I was fortunate enough to hire a fantastic photographer for my January, 2017 wedding. Photos are a very high priority for me, so second to the ceremony and reception sites, this was the next vendor I booked.

I’ve been tossing around the possibility of also hiring a videgrapher but am not sure if it is worth the investment. It looks as if average price for a videographer is starting around 2200. 

For all my past brides,and brides currently planning- 

Did you have a videographer? Any regrets on that decision? Did you find that your photographer and videographer had a hard time working around each other?  I am as conflicted as ever!

I don't know what area you live in, but that seems high, and I'm in the NYC/north jersey area, where weddings and vendors are quite pricey. I did see many videographers at that rate, but we really wanted to do video and not spend so much. On someone's suggestion, I actually found someone through craigslist. I've seen his samples and met with him in person, so I know he's legit. For a video of the entire ceremony plus a shortened version of the reception, we're only pay $725. It was really important to me that we at least have the entire ceremony on video and I was afraid a tripod would get in the way and I really really did not want to ask a guest to do any work, so I'm really glad we're doing this.
  • When my best friend got married she only had a photographer, her dad bought a video camera the day before the wedding and since I was in the wedding party and my husband didn't know anyone he stepped up and said he would video the ceremony. Same thing happened at ours a year and a half later, we just got photography and my husband's mom brought her video camera. My best friend was the MOH and her husband offered to video the ceremony. She was really happy she had it on video but wasn't upset that she didn't hire someone, I'm still waiting to see ours but I'm sure it's awesome. Not telling you to ask your friends to "work" your wedding but this arrangement worked out well for both of us so might be an option?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When my best friend got married she only had a photographer, her dad bought a video camera the day before the wedding and since I was in the wedding party and my husband didn't know anyone he stepped up and said he would video the ceremony. Same thing happened at ours a year and a half later, we just got photography and my husband's mom brought her video camera. My best friend was the MOH and her husband offered to video the ceremony. She was really happy she had it on video but wasn't upset that she didn't hire someone, I'm still waiting to see ours but I'm sure it's awesome. Not telling you to ask your friends to "work" your wedding but this arrangement worked out well for both of us so might be an option?
    My dad was asked to tape my cousin's wedding, I remember b/c I got to watch him tape it (I was pretty young). Anyways he didn't have a tripod so it's kind of shaky and the audio isn't the best since he was filming it in the back of the church. I'm sure it's better than nothing but I'd be disappointed by the quality. Now this was like 15 years ago so I'm sure video camera quality is better but a professional will have all of the equipment necessary and will have things like a small microphone to clip onto the groom so it can pick up just the sound of our voices. It's one of those things you get what you pay for in my opinion. You also shouldn't ask people to work your wedding unless you are paying them as a vendor (it's ok if the volunteer like in quoted post). 

We were considering this as an option but then realized if it was that important to us that we have the video it was probably worth it to pay a professional to get it right. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards