Moms and Maids

Wedding Dresses

I think is mom's and maids related... let me know if I should post to a more fitting board.

My FSIL got married this past summer. She had bought a dress sometime earlier last year and then...never tried it on again until the week of her wedding. The dress no longer fit. In a panic, she and FMIL had to go purchase another dress 3 days before the wedding.

FMIL has offered the 1st dress to me, not to wear but, to sell and use the money for my dress or for the wedding. It is a very nice offer, I'm just a little uneasy about it because... FSIL is a HUGE SPOILED DRAMA QUEEN.

Some of her greatest hits include:
  • Storming out of a restaurant because I sat next to her Mom at her birthday dinner
  • Screaming at her younger brother (my FI) when we get got engaged because it "should have been her first"
  • Demanding that her BF propose because it was "embarrassing" that we were engaged before they were
  • Banning us from getting married in 2015 because it was "her year"

The idea of her finding out that I sold her 1st, unworn wedding dress gives me cold sweats. However, FMIL wants it out of her house and keeps asking me to sell it.  Part of me wants to just take it and donate it.

I'd like some feed back on selling it, has anyone sold a dress online? Also, has anyone donated a dress?

Re: Wedding Dresses

• dyerwise said:
    I think is mom's and maids related... let me know if I should post to a more fitting board.

My FSIL got married this past summer. She had bought a dress sometime earlier last year and then...never tried it on again until the week of her wedding. The dress no longer fit. In a panic, she and FMIL had to go purchase another dress 3 days before the wedding.

FMIL has offered the 1st dress to me, not to wear but, to sell and use the money for my dress or for the wedding. It is a very nice offer, I'm just a little uneasy about it because... FSIL is a HUGE SPOILED DRAMA QUEEN.

Some of her greatest hits include:
    • Storming out of a restaurant because I sat next to her Mom at her birthday dinner
    • Screaming at her younger brother (my FI) when we get got engaged because it "should have been her first"
    • Demanding that her BF propose because it was "embarrassing" that we were engaged before they were
    • Banning us from getting married in 2015 because it was "her year"

The idea of her finding out that I sold her 1st, unworn wedding dress gives me cold sweats. However, FMIL wants it out of her house and keeps asking me to sell it.  Part of me wants to just take it and donate it.

I'd like some feed back on selling it, has anyone sold a dress online? Also, has anyone donated a dress?
    Why can't her mom give her dress to HER if she wants it out of her house?  I'm so confused.
  • FSIL lives with her new in-laws and has no room for it.
  • FSIL should sell or donate it.  Tell this to FMIL and thank her for her kind thoughts.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Regardless of whether your FSIL is a spoiled drama queen or not, she should be the one to decide what happens to the dress. I know your FMIL means well, but I find the offer a little strange. And yes, if you are concerned about how FSIL will react, you should graciously decline the offer.
  • FMIL is kind of out of line here, it's not her dress to offer out that way. I'm with pp's, don't accept it, don't sell it, don't donate it. Avoid!

• Why the hell didn't they already sell it when they couldn't use it?  MIL should sell it herself or give it to her own daughter to sell. It's so bizarre she would offer you this. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • If FMIL is suggesting you sell the dress and not mention it to FSIL, beware. I'd be wondering if FMIL enjoys drama. 

If FMIL paid for and owns the dress, why doesn't she sell it and use the money for her own dress?

• This is so weird.  Run far away from that dress.  Give it back.  It's not your problem.  

• Don't get involved in this.  Tell your FMIL, "Thanks, but I'd prefer to wear another dress."
  • I would not touch this dress wito a ten foot pole. Decline the offer. 
    So much this.

OP, if you take this dress:

httpsmargotstaubinfileswordpresscom2015057fd74c76eee830004c96304d355752e11d79a27152c6744778ea9c50fb9ac3f4jpg

Dodge the bullet!
  • Heffalump said:
    I would not touch this dress wito a ten foot pole. Decline the offer. 
    So much this.

OP, if you take this dress:

httpsmargotstaubinfileswordpresscom2015057fd74c76eee830004c96304d355752e11d79a27152c6744778ea9c50fb9ac3f4jpg

Dodge the bullet!
    OMG @Heffalump I am dying.

Thank you everyone!!

I thought it was very weird as well! but was just trying to think she had the best intentions.

Next time she brings it up I'll let her know I feel uncomfortable doing anything with the dress!
  • If FMIL owns the dress, let her donate or sell it.
  • VicTim328 said:
    If FMIL owns the dress, let her donate or sell it.
    Exactly this.  I mean, maybe she wants an ebay tutorial or something, but do not get involved with this dress.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards