Moms and Maids

Bridesmaid gift feedback plz

So far I've got:
  • Nail polish in our wedding colors
  • Jewelry for the day of
  • Shawl to wear for the pictures
  • Silk robes with the word "Bridesmaid" on the back, again for the pictures OBVS  :D LAWLZ!!!!
Okay, sorry. I don't have any of that crap. But I would like feedback and suggestions on what I have. I am aiming for approx $50 per lady but some are already more or less, it's not a biggie to go over a bit.

For the tea lover -
  • $15 gift card to Teavana
  • A mug-topper that steeps the tea then drains into your mug, keeping all the leaves and twigs and whatever out of your mug
  • A set of 3 flavored honeys from Hawaii

I think that's pretty good for her. That's right at $50, and she can buy tea with the gift card and that will be a little "set" for her. Or she can buy whatever the hell she wants with it, but what I'm saying is, it feels like a complete gift. 

For the "learning to cook more fancier now that I'm an adult" one -
  • $25 gift card to Sur La Table aka the fancy store
  • Cookbook with recipes for the dutch oven

That's about $45 but it feels incomplete. I'd like to add some kind of ingredient, maybe a spice mix or an infused oil or something? She has a subscription to Blue Apron so she's trying out a bunch of new stuff, she may appreciate something adventurous. I am not an adventurous eater. Would love suggestions! I would say I can spend about another $10-15 for her.

For my MOH, a crafty cat lover -
  • $25 gift card to etsy, she buys a lot of stuff for her cosplay on etsy 
  • A "washing your face" headband with cat ears, I also bought one for myself :)
  • Ring pincushion

That's only about $40 and feels a bit less put together than the previous two. I'd like to add something else. Our friendship has been growing pretty distant so I'm not sure I'm comfortable making a sentimental gesture (beyond the card). She likes anime conventions and cosplay, video games, cats, sewing, and horses. And Irish stuff. Maybe a book of some kind? 

For the DIY, crafty, dog lover - 
  • Gift card to AC Moore (of indeterminate amount)

Other than that, I got nothing so far. She's having a baby soon but I'd like the gift to be for her, she will probably need some "me" time (or, "her" time I guess lol). She likes crafting, dogs, margaritas, hockey, Pittsburgh, Billy Joel, and Dave Matthews Band. I can't think of anything not craft-related, and I know I'm kinda picky about my craft supplies so I don't want to buy her something she wouldn't like. 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Bridesmaid gift feedback plz

• I really shouldn't post at 3am.
  • I was really worried  when I started reading your post. I was thinking @spockforprez knows better than that LOL! For your cooking friend, I would get a bottle of really good olive oil. We cook a lot and go through that stuff like crazy - and we order ours from Italy. For your cat loving friend with other interests how about a Beleek (irish china) picture frame. For your friend with the new baby, I totally agree not to give her anything baby related. How about bottle of tequila and margarita mix. I was going to say a gift card to a spa for a pampering day but saw that you already had a GC to a craft store.
  • I like the olive oil idea like @ILoveBeachMusic said, or a cookbook stand. 

For your crafty friend, does she have a particular storage system for her craft supplies? Or if she's a sports fan a comfy sweatshirt/sweater of her favorite team? 
  • Does the BM who's having a baby soon have a bathtub? Maybe some bubble bath, lotion and candles for some relaxation?
  • Oh, as someone who cooks, a cookbook stand sounds awesome! I was going to recommend also maybe adding another cookbook, since a dutch oven one is kinda specific. You could also do a gift subscription to a cooking magazine, though I don't have one to recommend off the top of my head.

For your cat loving friend, you could also get her a subscription to something like kitnip box, which I got from my secret santa - it's a monthly box that comes with fun cat stuff (for the cats, not so much for the humans lol). She did a three month subscription, but you can do just one month. I'm pretty sure that exists for dogs as well, so you can consider it for your dog loving friend as well.
  • I found a book at Target - I Could Pee on This: and Other Poems by Cats.  It's one of the funniest things I have read in a very long time.  Apparently the author also wrote the dog equivalent - I Could Chew on This: and Other Poems by Dogs, but I can't vouch for that one personally.  I'm usually not into cutesy novelty books, but I think that one is worth it, especially for cat people (and maybe dog people).  They are around $10.

Unless you're set on Sur La Table, I would also recommend Penzey's or The Spice House (you may not have physical stores in your location, but they do online).  Or you could order her a small spice set from one of those locations - I think they have a few small gift sets at about the $15 range.

• LOL right now I don't have more ideas, but I'll think about it. Just wanted to say you had me going there. I thought you knew better!

Oh, what about an inexpensive cocktail recipe book or wine book for the fancy-cooking friend? Gotta have nice drinks with nice food! 

• How many dogs does the dog lover have?  Between FI and I, we have 3.  My grandma gave us a 3 in 1 dog leash, and it's actually really easy to use. Would a terrible towel work?  I know you were thinking AC Moorge gc, but what about a pedicure, as it may be harder for her to take care of her feet, which most likely will swell at the end of pregnancy.

For the cook, what about infused sea salts?

For the cat friend, can you find pins with cats on them? Or a cat shaped magnet for her pins and needles?
  • lembasloverlembaslover member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited February 2016
    Haha you totally had me going at first too...

I really like your ideas so far. For the crafty friend with new baby coming maybe check out Darby Smart. I really liked their monthly craft boxes that they sent. I believe they are ~$20 a month so you could 1 month and get something else or 3 months. It was fun and I got to try out new crafts each month. That might give her some me time. Or you could just check out their site, they have a lot of tutorials and sell all the supplies as kits. 

I like the idea of adding Olive Oil or wine to the cooking friend's. 

For your cat loving friend (assuming she has a cat or cats, I say this because I love frogs and my friends know I do however I don't own a frog...) maybe you could get something for her cats. My hamsters are my babies so a gift for them makes me really happy. 

ETA that I love tea lovers when it comes to getting them gifts. There are so many types of tea and Teavana makes it so easy to find them things they love. I hate tea personally but my dad loves it and it's so easy to shop for him since he loves trying new teas and new tea gadgets.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • For the cook what about cute appetizer plates? I love mine from crate and barrell.

There are a lot of dog/ drinking accessories (my favorite towel says "it's not drinking alone if the dog's there". This a little pet boutique near me that ahs some really cute things:
    http://www.pawspetboutique.com/pet-inspired-goods-just-for-you/

• For the cookbook friend you mentioned a spice mix, have you ever looked at flavor god? I know its "technically" for people who are huge into food prepping but they have flavors I've never heard of. Me and FI got pizza flavored and enjoyed it so much we bought 3 more bottles before they could sell out. They are constantly rotating flavors, right now they have one that's chocolate donut. Also, their customer service is kick ass. I'm going to stop sounding like an infomercial now. 
  • For the cooking friend, I will 2nd Penzy's spices.  My mom gets all her spices there now and loves them.  They always send free samples in with your order too.  My mom has gotten a lot more adventurous recently with her cooking because of Penzy's (my dad is the picky eater).  She gets these small samples makes something and my dad gives the yes or no.

For you MOH, I think that the cat poem book would be a good finisher to the other stuff you got already.

For the crafty dog lover:  Something that she can pamper herself with.  A fancy margarita glasses set.  Depending how far along she is, I wouldn't necessarily get her margarita mix with tequila - it could be a giant tease!  DMB is touring this summer.  No idea the cost, but get her some tickets?  If the venue closest to her has a lawn section, those tickets are usually cheaper.

• LAWLS, you hipster, you. I had to check your SN and rub my eyes several times. Glad you're joking.

For your learning to cook friend, this is my favorite web site for spices  http://www.myspicesage.com/ . Bouquet Garni might be a nice complement to the Dutch oven cookbook. 

• I know this technically might be more of a "baby" themed gift (and might be better as a baby shower gift -- you can decide) but if your pregnant friend is excited to be a new mom and also loves her dogs, you could look at getting a fun dog-themed baby book. This was one I loved when I was little since it had lots of pictures. As a dog-lover adult now, I cannot wait to read to my own child someday and encourage a friendship between my real baby and my fur-baby. 

• I didn't read the other comments, so I aplogize.   $25 to Sur La Table won't get her that far.   I'd do a $50 gift card and perhaps a small cooking trinket. 
  • Thanks all for the feedback and suggestions, I appreciate it. I am going to work on the last BM's gift for now since it's non-existent at this point and circle back to the others in a bit. I like the idea of the margarita/tequila thing (she will have the baby in about a month so she won't still be pg then) but I'm not sure about breastfeeding? Can you/how much can you drink while nursing?
  • @spockforprez , I believe you can have an 8 oz drink 2 hours prior to nursing (I think, at least).  I'm not sure if there's a difference between liquor / wine.  But I think any new mom would appreciate a margarita!!
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2016
    @spockforprez , I believe you can have an 8 oz drink 2 hours prior to nursing (I think, at least).  I'm not sure if there's a difference between liquor / wine.  But I think any new mom would appreciate a margarita!!

I think that's going to be highly individual though.  I have two friends who had kids a few months apart.  Both are breastfeeding - one has no problem having a drink now and again and will do "pump and dump" and my other friend absolutely refuses to drink until she is done breast feeding (she hates to waste her supply).  At the very least, most of my friends waited until they were done nursing exclusively and supplementing with formula when they went back to work before having an occasional drink, so I would probably pick a gift that she could use immediately.

When you say she's crafty - does she knit or crochet?  A few skeins of a nice handspun yarn could be nice.  I know most people like to pick their own craft stuff, but all of my friends who knit or crochet have appreciated quality hand-dyed, hand-spun yarn. 

• When I first started reading the post, my first thought was "uh oh, this isn't going to be good..." But from what you have posted they all sound like amazing gifts. They are all very lucky that you are going into so much detail for this.

Now you've gotten me thinking about my BMs, thanks.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thoughts on adult coloring stuff? I could keep the cookbook for myself and add a Game of Thrones coloring book and some nice pens to the 2nd bridesmaid's gift. I think it would also work for my crafty friend too. 
  • When I first started reading the post, my first thought was "uh oh, this isn't going to be good..." But from what you have posted they all sound like amazing gifts. They are all very lucky that you are going into so much detail for this.

Now you've gotten me thinking about my BMs, thanks.

Thanks! I'm a really, really sentimental person and my bridesmaids have all been pretty amazing while I've been engaged and going through a rough year. I hope they enjoy the gifts!
  • Thoughts on adult coloring stuff? I could keep the cookbook for myself and add a Game of Thrones coloring book and some nice pens to the 2nd bridesmaid's gift. I think it would also work for my crafty friend too. 
    I love my coloring book, but I don't use it very often.  I bought it when my boyfriend was going on a 'guys trip' and I was going to be home alone for a week.  I've since gotten new colored pencils and a second book from my sister.  I got the super duper fine point pens originally, but they leak through the paper, so now I'm trying with colored pencils and that seems to be better.
    Most of my friends love the adult coloring stuff and find it relaxing. I would go colored pencils though. I will say I'm the odd duck out and actually hate them. Most are too intricate and time consuming and I don't have the patience. I also find choosing colors and color coordinating to be anything but relaxing. I know some speak about them like it is universally loved and relaxing, but I think it depends on the temperament.
  • adk19 said:
    Thoughts on adult coloring stuff? I could keep the cookbook for myself and add a Game of Thrones coloring book and some nice pens to the 2nd bridesmaid's gift. I think it would also work for my crafty friend too. 
    I love my coloring book, but I don't use it very often.  I bought it when my boyfriend was going on a 'guys trip' and I was going to be home alone for a week.  I've since gotten new colored pencils and a second book from my sister.  I got the super duper fine point pens originally, but they leak through the paper, so now I'm trying with colored pencils and that seems to be better.
    Thanks, I will go for pencils instead. I know she bought a Harry Potter adult coloring book but not sure if that was because she likes them or for the Harry Potter aspect. I know she loves GoT so hopefully she will enjoy that!

jacques27 said:
    Thoughts on adult coloring stuff? I could keep the cookbook for myself and add a Game of Thrones coloring book and some nice pens to the 2nd bridesmaid's gift. I think it would also work for my crafty friend too. 
    Most of my friends love the adult coloring stuff and find it relaxing. I would go colored pencils though. I will say I'm the odd duck out and actually hate them. Most are too intricate and time consuming and I don't have the patience. I also find choosing colors and color coordinating to be anything but relaxing. I know some speak about them like it is universally loved and relaxing, but I think it depends on the temperament.
    Not at all, I'm not a huge fan either. I am too picky and perfectionist. I prefer cross stitch, where someone tells me exactly what color and where to stitch  :p I do like the idea of it, though, and it seems to be a craze!
  • Digressing on the coloring book topic. Good colored pencils and a good sharpener are needed.
    I'm a huge fan of mine, though I don't use it as often as I'd like. When I heard about them I was completely jazzed. When I was younger and babysitting, I'd always suggest to the kids, "Hey... wanna color?" because I wanted to color, haha. So I was thrilled when the more intricate stuff for adults came out, as obviously I can't get away with buying myself Disney type children's books. That would be weird. 

If anyone's friends are like me and you already know they'd get a kick out of the coloring books, then I think it's a great gift. 

• jacques27 said:

I see those intricate things and think no way!! For my birthday my grandma got me 2 minions coloring books and some kiddie crayons - that was what I wanted hehe. Even before the adult color thing hit every once in a while I wanted to color but it has always been the big, kid-friendly pages and none of this stuff about having to try and make it look good.
  • Digressing on the coloring book topic. Good colored pencils and a good sharpener are needed.
    I'm a huge fan of mine, though I don't use it as often as I'd like. When I heard about them I was completely jazzed. When I was younger and babysitting, I'd always suggest to the kids, "Hey... wanna color?" because I wanted to color, haha. So I was thrilled when the more intricate stuff for adults came out, as obviously I can't get away with buying myself Disney type children's books. That would be weird. 

If anyone's friends are like me and you already know they'd get a kick out of the coloring books, then I think it's a great gift. 

Uh oh, don't read my post then
  • kvruns said:
    Digressing on the coloring book topic. Good colored pencils and a good sharpener are needed.

Uh oh, don't read my post then
    LOL, LOL. It's an anonymous internet board, no judgement ;-) 

• Okay... 

For 2nd bridesmaid I purchased a set of four infused olive oils. They were expensive but I thought they would be appreciated! I had already purchased the $25 gift card and the cookbook when I posted so I can't change either of those things. I know $25 isn't much at Sur La Table but maybe it will help pay for part of something nice, or one small item. So the cookbook, the gift card, and the oils make up my gift for her and that's about $80.

For 3rd bridesmaid (MOH) I purchased two coloring books (Doctor Who and cats) along with colored pencils and a sharpener. I haven't bought the Etsy gift card yet so I may skip that. Without it, her gift is just a hair under $50. She would have the cat ear headband, the ring pincushion, two coloring books and colored pencils. I think that's a nice blend of cats, her favorite show, and crafty stuff. 

For the fourth bridesmaid I have a dog coloring book with pencils and sharpener, about $25. I do still like the margarita/tequila thing too and I think it would make a cute "me-time" gift. Drunk coloring, woo! lol. Should I stick with a basic lime mix, or are there any fun flavorings or good quality mixes you guys really like?
  • I could also swap out the Dutch oven cookbook; I know someone above said it seemed too specific. I don't really even know if they have a Dutch oven. I could keep that for myself and swap it with a different cookbook. I may ask her sister (bridesmaid #1) about it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards