Wedding Woes

Preschool Shennanigans

It's against our student handbook to leave kids in the car when you go in to get a child.  Usually if someone has a baby, it's bitter cold, or someone is running late one adult will offer to watch the kid in the car while the other goes in. 

There is one mom that does it almost daily without another adult standing by.  On super cold days she locks the car and uses remote start to turn it back on while she goes in.  It makes me uncomfortable so if I'm parked by her I take a little extra time getting the kids buckled up.

Apparently I'm not the only one to notice because the local PD came to talk to her today.  I don't know if it's illegal, but the cop was giving her a pretty good talking to about it in front of every other adult in the parking lot. 

Re: Preschool Shennanigans

• Wow.  Did you get close enough to hear what the cops were saying? 
  • I just saw a lot,of hand motions. Another mom said it was about leaving the kid. It's not like leaving a kid in front of a dry cleaner when you can see out.  She parks along a tree line then crosses three rows or parking lot, the drop of line (you can't use at pick up) then through two double doors into a hallway.  Her kids room doesn't even look out onto the parking lot.  On a good day there's a solid 10 minutes she's completely out of sight from the car.
  • Wow.   

On one hand I think the 'don't leave the kid' deal is out of hand but if you know that's the policy stick to it.   You agreed to it when you dropped off your kid!

I'm lucky that our DC is it's own business with its own parking lot.   When DD puked in the car on Monday I left her in it with the engine running.  There was just no question. 
  • banana468 said:
    Wow.   

On one hand I think the 'don't leave the kid' deal is out of hand but if you know that's the policy stick to it.   You agreed to it when you dropped off your kid!

I'm lucky that our DC is it's own business with its own parking lot.   When DD puked in the car on Monday I left her in it with the engine running.  There was just no question. 
    Since its preschool we all pick up at the same time.  In that situation 99.9% of us would have asked the person parked next to us if they would mind watching the car. Then you'd  go in and everyone would ask where dd is.  When you said in the car we'd let you line jump and you'd be back out in 3 minutes. 
  • When I was younger I heard a story (or maybe urban legend) of someone leaving their car running while they ran into the gas station. Someone stole their car and their baby! (I am guessing they didn't know the baby was there) In real life, I had a friend who's car was stolen in the exact same way but luckily his child was not in the car.
    Those stories have filled me with too much fear to leave a baby in the car.

• I don't know where you live but it is illegal in 19 states. The law here only applies to fatalities caused by leaving child in car 

locally there has been 3 cases of deaths of children left in car. Last winter a car was stolen from the gas station when mom went in with older child to pay. Baby was in car. 

not going to say I haven't done it once or twice 
  • @ThxSugar, this has actually happened a couple of times in Alberta in the last year, it's pretty scary.
  • Wow. That would make me uncomfortable, too.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards