Chit Chat

Updates on my FH

spockforprezspockforprez member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited March 2016 in Chit Chat
Hey Knotties. My FH was in a motorcycle accident today (actually yesterday now). A car hit him. He has lost his left leg above the knee and may lose his left arm. His pelvis is torn (the ligaments) and he had some internal bleeding as a result. His right forearm may be broken. If they can save his left arm, both bones in the forearm are broken as well as the humerus up top. There are no spinal cord or brain injuries we are aware of. He had about 10 hours of surgery, trauma, orthopedic, and vascular. He will need 3-5 more surgeries on his amputated leg as it is still contaminated with debris. They will try to save as much of it as possible but depending on outcome a prosthesis may not be possible. He is in very critical condition and doctors are still concerned about blood loss and trauma and don't consider him out of the danger zone as far as his life goes. However, his BP has been stable without medication and his hemoglobin levels have been improving with the transfusions and controlling his bleeding. His kidneys are also creating urine so everything seems to be ticking away in there. 

i I was able to see him very briefly before surgery and he was awake, alert, of sound mind, and talking up a storm. He told me how much he loved me and how sorry he was and how this was a setback we can overcome together. He said how much he wanted to marry me and that he couldn't wait. The doctors said he has been so kind to them and apologizing for causing them inconvenience. Apparently kindness is (understandably) a rare occurrence in trauma patients. 

i I am up and down. I've known for about twelve hours. He was taken to a hospital in my home city which is about 1.5 hours from where we live so that was a tough drive. I am scared for his life but also his life after and I can't stop my mind from analyzing and planning 1000 different things about how we will live after he is well again. 

I am am waiing to see him, he is finally being brought up to his ICU room. He will be sedated and intubated so won't have a lot of real communication but I'll be able to touch him and talk to him soon. 

Tomorrow (today) or Monday I will go get my cats and my stuff and will be living with my aunt for awhile while he goes through all his surgeries and recovery. Could be 3 weeks or 6 or 12.

We could use any and all prayers and thoughts you could spare for us. Thanks so much. 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Updates on my FH

• My thoughts and prayers are with you and your FI.  I have faith that he will pull through.
  • I am so sorry! Thoughts and prayers and vibes for a speedy recovery!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'm so sorry that happened!  I'll be praying for both of you.

Your FI sounds very resilient, which is an excellent sign for his recovery.  Hang in there, and don't forget to take care of yourself too.  I'm glad you'll have your family and your cats nearby.
  • I'm so sorry for you and your fiancé.  Prayers for recovery for him, and for you as you deal with all of this!   

SaveSave
  • Thinking of you both... I am so sorry that this happened.
  • @spockforprez I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through. All I can say is that I'm pulling for you and your FI. 
  • All the positive thoughts for you all.  We're all here if you need to vent/rant/get it all out.  

• So sorry to hear this
  • I'm so sorry that you are going through this!  Thoughts and prayers sent your way.
    Anniversary

• I am so sorry. My prayers are with you and your FI. 
  • Oh @spockforprez as if the last few months haven't thrown enough challenges your way.  I'm so sorry, I'm not a prayer but you and FI are in my thoughts!

One thing is for sure though, it sounds like you're both lucky to have each other.  Uou because through all of this he is just talking about marrying you and he because through it all, you are by his (and his moms) side.  

(hugsfordays)
  • I am so sorry.    

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Thanks everyone for the comments. This situation is pretty crappy, everything in a hospital is "hurry up and wait." I have not been able to sleep yet but FH is going to OR in a bit and my brother will drive me to my cousins house for a nap and shower. Friends are bringing me clothes

We finally got in to see him in the ICU room about 6am. he is heavily sedated and sleeping. The nurse said he is probably aware and our words can help him, although he won't remember today. 

We are getting some preliminary information about the crash. Responders who were at the scene want to help but are unable to say a lot due to not wanting to over share. Despite that, we have learned that FH was not at fault. That is information for the future, we are just focusing now on keeping him stable and all of his organs functioning. 
  • Oh my gosh! So many hugs for you. Sending speedy recovery thoughts to him <3
  • I am so very sorry, sending good vibes and thoughts to you!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh @spockforprez what an awful situation. I'm so sorry, but ultimately glad for you both that it wasn't worse. So long as he is stable the rest you guys can deal with together. I'm so glad you have your brother for support, and if you need to vent or just some distraction we are here.

• Praying here. This brought tears to my eyes. I can't imagine what you are thinking and feeling. Sending many many hugs your way.

• @spockforprez, I am so terribly sorry to hear about this. I cannot even imagine going through something like this. You of course have my prayers and thoughts. I glad at least to hear that he has survived such a terrible accident without any spinal or brain injuries, but I still cannot imagine the pain both you and he are both going through. However, your fiance sounds like an incredibly strong and loving person, as are you. Hang in there, but also know we've got your back if you need a place for hugs and support. 

• I am so sorry! Sending all positive thoughts your way. You will both get through this!

• Sending lots of healing vibes and positive thoughts to you and FI!
  • I am so sorry that this happened.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your families.  I hope things improve!
  • Thoughts and prayers are with you, FI and your families. Take care of yourself, too. 
  • Oh goodness.  All the good thoughts for you and your FI. 
  • So sorry to hear this. Positive vibes for you and yours.
  • **hugs** so sorry this happened. Hope everything goes well. Thoughts and prayers for you, your FI, and your families.
  • I don't have words to express how I feel about this horrific situation.  Praise God that your FI has overcome the first hurdle.  As easy as it is for me to say here in the comfort of my home, try not to think too far ahead beyond today.  You are at risk for overwhelming yourself without even trying.  Accept any and all help when it is offered. 

Prayers for you all.
  • Holy shit. I'm so sorry. 
  • I'm very sorry.  Big hugs, thoughts, and prayers for you and your FI.
  • I'm so sorry for what you two are going through, spockforprez. Wishing you all the best.
  • I'm so incredibly sorry you are going through this, Spockforprez.  Sending good thoughts and hugs your way.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards