Wedding Woes

I really don't get this

Is anyone else watching Married by Mom & Dad? I've been catching up on demand, and what I don't get is what these people were expecting to happen after they married complete strangers. 

Like the girl who didn't even meet the guy until her parents walked her down the aisle - he seems like he's making a huge effort to try and get to know her and have fun, and get a little physical, and she seems to be getting more stand-offish. Like he was trying to talk about where they would live, and she was all, "it's way too soon to be thinking about this"  - hell lady, maybe you should have considered this before you planned 2 PPD. (The first guy called it off the day of the wedding, so it's not like she didn't have time to consider this stuff.) The poor guy spent their wedding night on her couch because she didn't want him in the room. 

Have these people ever interacted with people that were married? Do they not have friends or family that are married? Have they never seen a sitcom or movie where married people, i don't know, had a relationship/friendship or lived in the same house or occasionally shared meals?

Re: I really don't get this

• There was a similar show in the UK recently called Married at First Sight, where the premise was exactly as the title suggests - they met at the bottom of the aisle. It was car crash tv. One couple started out fairly happily despite the crazy premise but within a month or so had the groom back on tinder and refusing to move in with her. It was super awkward watching them make small talk as husband and wife. I feel like they took the actual marriage part of it so lightly that once the weight of their situation hit them they just didn't know what to do.

• Oh I've been watching. It is the biggest disaster I've ever seen. I don't want to ruin anything... How far into it are you?

• I fall asleep to this show.  I really like Maravic (?) I hope she finds a great guy.  The guy that gets accused of being gay- I hated him at first, but the wife and friend were absolute assholes.  I felt really awful for the way they treated him.  Then she just up and leaves?

I feel like there is some religious weirdness with Christina.  I like her, but something is strange.  I think if she warms up a little they could at least be happy for a year. 

The other guys mom and Chandler were weird. 

I can't believe I know so much about this show.
  • I agree about Maravic. She was cool and her parents were hilarious.

Poor Mitch (the one accused of being gay). His wife and her friends were scumbags. I can't even fathom treating someone the way they treated him.

Christina- yes to the religious weirdness. I couldn't put my finger on it. I'm a Christian and some of the things they were saying were really odd to me. She seemed sweet though, and the guy she married did too. Hopefully things work for them.

I almost felt like the other guy's mom liked Chandler more than she liked her own son. Just sayin.

• I'm midway through the finale, so don't be too concerned about spoilers.

I liked Maravic's parents, but I don't think I could be friends with her IRL. Something about her annoyed me. 

I liked Mitch's mom, and he seemed ok (maybe a little snobby re: wine and food, but that's basically his job, so I guess expected). His dad and future stepmom seemed like nutjobs. He didn't set off my gaydar just because he wasn't crushing beer cans on his head and starting fights. He just seemed like a preppy food/wine snob. The attack was completely unnecessary, and her reaction was ridiculous. I mean what was Mitch supposed to do? List of his top 20 favorite things about vaginas?

Christina - I totally wanted to bitch slap her for the entire series. She seemed so focused on the whole PPD aspect and her "fairytale" that she didn't take into account that being married actually involves a relationship of some sort between 2 people. It's like she has the mind and reasoning skills of a 4yo. The religious aspect was there too, but yeah, it was creepy/offputting. The guy she married seems nice. (I haven't seen what happened to him at the resort, so maybe he lost it and went on some kind of rampage, but up until this point, he seems like one of the more "normal people" other than the fact that he agreed to marry a total stranger.) 

The guy in Denver that looks a little like John Corbett (for the life of me, I can't remember his name. i just keep thinking "Big Fat Greek Wedding")- he seemed the most skeptical about this from the beginning, so i'm surprised that it went as far as it has. Chandler seemed like she would be a good match for him but the whole taking a step back likely ruined whatever was starting there. They seemed to get along much better on the date than when they were "engaged" I also liked his parents. 
  • *Barbie* said:

The guy in Denver that looks a little like John Corbett (for the life of me, I can't remember his name. i just keep thinking "Big Fat Greek Wedding")- he seemed the most skeptical about this from the beginning, so i'm surprised that it went as far as it has. Chandler seemed like she would be a good match for him but the whole taking a step back likely ruined whatever was starting there. They seemed to get along much better on the date than when they were "engaged" I also liked his parents. 

Thank goodness you said this. I have been trying to think of who he looked like all season long. It was on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't place it for the life of me!

• *Barbie* said:
    *snip*

The guy in Denver that looks a little like John Corbett 
    *snip*
    So...half of them, at least. (The other half are wearing skinny jeans.) 
  • baconsmom said:
    *Barbie* said:
    *snip*

The guy in Denver that looks a little like John Corbett 
    *snip*
    So...half of them, at least. (The other half are wearing skinny jeans.) 
    Is it something in the water?
  • I don't know. I just enjoy the scenery. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards