Nevada-Las Vegas

How far in advance?

How far in advance did all of you book your vendors, locations, etc.? Our wedding is at the end of October. We know all of the details but haven't booked a whole lot yet. So far the only thing we've booked are our rooms lol I did reach out to Masterpiece and they said reserve sooner, rather than later but for sure by the end of Spring. So what about everything else? I need to book:

1. Ceremony - Chapel of the Flowers
2. Party Bus -transportation to ceremony for guests and then photo tour afterwards. We have our own photographer coming with us (a friend).
3. Masterpiece - in-suite reception
4. Hair and make up - not sure who yet....
5. Cupcake/Cake - thinking Retro Bakery but haven't settled on anyone yet
6. Flights but not overly worried about that for a bit.

I think that's it? Am I leaving something out? LOL Anyways, just curious as to how far our you guys booked your stuff. Thanks!! :smile: 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How far in advance?

• We are also getting married in October.  We've booked the ceremony, the reception, the florist, photographer, HMU and a coordinator so far.  We've got our eye on a cupcake vendor, but aren't 100% yet.  The officiant is booked through the ceremony location, so that's under control.  As far as flights go, we are finding we can't even get quotes until about 6 months out, and we're holding out for room rates to start changing to book the second half of the trip.  We've got rooms already for the days leading up to and immediately following the wedding, but we're hoping to stay a few more days afterwards.

Right now my big ones that I'm trying to research/book are a bartender for a post-reception cocktail hour in our suite, and a location for a welcome party the night before.

• Good photogs, catering and HMU tends to book as far out as a year or more if you're getting married on a Fri-Sat.  Our first photog choice was booked for our date when I called 13 months out, but fortunately that person backed out before I had chosen a second so we got them anyway.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Thanks all :smile: I booked the ceremony location today! One down.....a million things to go lol I will be calling Masterpiece tomorrow to get that booked. I know that is a 50% deposit. What is the standard deposit for HMU? 50%?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are getting married in sept... The only thing we have ony booked the wraparound suite.. For the ceremony and reception.  
  • Cof does a package that includes Hair and makeup if you want to go thru them, I'm doing that for one less thing to worry about.

• Thanks all :smile: I booked the ceremony location today! One down.....a million things to go lol I will be calling Masterpiece tomorrow to get that booked. I know that is a 50% deposit. What is the standard deposit for HMU? 50%?
    Depends on the vendor and the services.  Usually there's a placeholder amount or a staged deposit if it's a big service for a bunch of people, but could be 50% if it's just one.  For example we had my wife, four BM's and two grandma's getting HMU service, and I would have had a problem putting a 50% deposit down a year out with someone I don't know and who is a sole proprietor, meaning they go out of business, my money is gone.  We worked out an initial deposit, another amount that was due a few weeks out and then final due day of.

Anyone you give a deposit to, make sure you do it on a credit card (not debit); it gives you some protection.

• Thanks @vegasgroom. That is very good information!

@softkittywarmkitty I noticed that but when I went to check out that HMU company (Glam Squad) and got a quote from them, it was actually cheaper to book it directly through them instead of the chapel. It's $185 plus $25 for the lashes through the chapel. It's $165 plus $25 directly though Glam Squad. I know it's only $20 but when paying for the Canadian to US exchange, at least it will cover most of that! lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I booked everything I could as soon as we picked our date.  Mind you, we are all travelling to Vegas from Australia, so we needed to give our guests PLENTY of notice!  There are a few must haves that would've gutted me if I couldn't get it.....  so yeah, my wedding is in November and I booked everything this past December. LOL
  • We chose our date almost 5 months ago, but it took us months to actually get the contract signed for in-suite. That process started in November.

We're working with a destination wedding travel agent who managed to kick ass and get a better room rate. Technically, we now have the contract, but I haven't been charged for the room yet. UGH.

I've touched base with all of my desired services and asked about when to book. Most have said if you're set on us, book it sooner rather than later, but some people only book 2-3 weeks in advance. I have not booked anything with any of them yet, waiting for everything to be finalized. We'll be booking in the next week to two weeks for everything (or at least paying the deposits), just to get it done.

As for the flights and hotel itself, we're booking the hotel room through our room block (as arranged by the above travel agent) and the flights are still TBD, which we'll probably book whenever.
  • I booked everything as far in advance as I could: the chapel a year before. The hair an makeup, and restaurant for after the wedding as soon as the reservation slots opened (in both cases three months in advance). The photographer, six months in advance. Flights are cheaper if you book them sooner, so we booked those 11 months before, as soon as the became available.
  • goin2vegasgoin2vegas member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2016

Update -- I have booked a bunch of stuff. Yay me! lol Ceremony, suite for reception, Masterpiece Cuisine, flights and the other hotel we'll be staying at during our time in Vegas is all booked.

Just need to book HMU (will do it tomorrow), Party Bus (waiting to hear back from the chapel to see if they recommend anyone and what rates they offer. If not, then we'll go with Earth Limos), cake/cupcakes, tickets for other activities we'll be doing while there and our hotel for the honeymoon. I think we've done fairly well considering we're the biggest procrastinators! Haha!

I do have a question and I will obviously do a search on this as well but I was wondering what all of you thought about Retro Bakery? I have a friend that is a wedding planner and she has helped couples plan their Vegas weddings. Well I told her I was leaning towards going with Retro Bakery and she said she only had one client that used them and..........they never delivered the wedding cake! Anyone else hear anything like this before? I'd be devastated! Anyone have any issues? I really like their stuff and their prices are fantastic but ugh, I'm not sure.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got in touch with Retro Bakery and was considering using them, but they're not open on Sundays, so that was a no-go for us.  We're also still searching for a good option for cupcakes.  We tried Sin City Cupcakes when we were last in Vegas, and felt very "eh" about their cupcakes. Worst case scenario, the restaurant we're hosting the reception at has options.
  • No opinion on Retro. We booked Drago Sisters. Did a tasting and they were amazing. And very nice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're booking Freed's for our cupcakes. Nothing fancy, pre-determined flavors and icing, and simple. Just the way I like it! :)
  • I contacted Freed's via email (GREAT customer service btw!) and we are just looking for mini-cupcakes but the gal that emailed me back said the mini cupcakes were too small for a cupcake tower? The quote I have from Retro is for mini cupcakes and they never said anything about them being too small. Just seemed strange to me.... We have cupcake shops around here and the mini cupcakes are perfect and I don't think they'd be too small for a cupcake tower. Aren't all mini cupcakes the same size? lol

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I contacted Freed's via email (GREAT customer service btw!) and we are just looking for mini-cupcakes but the gal that emailed me back said the mini cupcakes were too small for a cupcake tower? The quote I have from Retro is for mini cupcakes and they never said anything about them being too small. Just seemed strange to me.... We have cupcake shops around here and the mini cupcakes are perfect and I don't think they'd be too small for a cupcake tower. Aren't all mini cupcakes the same size? lol

Just wanted to note that Freeds historically has horrible response times via email, if you get a response at all.  Not saying you will experience this, but if you are waiting for info, or want to ensure they have certain info, do not trust that they got it via email; follow up with a call.  We used them and love their products, both on wedding day and 1st anniversary, but email communication was problematic so I made sure to always call and confirm receipt too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards