Wedding Woes

Wednesday

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited March 2016 in Wedding Woes
Pretty sure I have strep...again.  I just had it a couple weeks ago.  Last time the right side of my throat and this time, it's the left.  So waiting for the doc's office to open.  

DH was very sweet at 3am.  He got me our backrest out of the closet since I needed to be propped up and held my hand as I had a meltdown about being sick again and the possibility that I'll get referred to an ENT to have my tonsils yanked since this is the second time in a short period that I've had to do 2 rounds of Rx to kill strep. 

I'm currently working.  I have no idea if I'm going to try to tough out the rest of the week after today or take tomorrow (and maybe Friday) off. 

Re: Wednesday

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    booo to strep

It's a marathon here- leading mom group this am, work project (the new girl doesn't seem to be doing well), lead teaching tonight and card club.

Apparently I'm considered "connected" now.  I've been invited to a store opening and a separate product launch party (non MLM).  When I asked why it's because "you know everyone and everyone loves you.  Your good word goes a long way. You also give good feedback"  Um, ok. 
  • So sorry, @mrs.conn23.  Sucks to be sick

• That sucks @mrs.conn23 hope you're feeling better soon. 

Im giving a talk today with a few colleagues on the foreign policy positions of the Presidential candidates. I love three because it allows students and community members to see what we actually do as political scientists but I always worry there's going to be some nut in the audience asking crazy questions and I won't be able to stop myself from rolling me eyes at them. 
  • Oh, mrs.conn, I'm so sorry.  That sucks.  Sending you lots of healthy throat, anti-strep vibes.

I am having a bad morning.  Yesterday, I was mostly happy that the kids (and I) were unharmed in the fender bender and the car damage was just a scratch and possibly electrical wonkiness.  Got home and talked to DH:  the car is in the body shop, Allstate (other guy's insurance) says they may not get an adjustor out until Monday (!!!), there was some runaround because Allstate needed to talk to the guy, turns out it wasn't his truck, it was the neighbor's, they called the neighbor, who said Guy was at work, etc.  They finally got Guy, who said he couldn't talk because he was at work, which made me extra-ragey:  DH should have been at work, and if you don't have time to deal with insurance, then maybe don't hit people WHO ARE FUCKING STOPPED AT A STOP SIGN, ASSHOLE.

Sorry.  Deep breaths.  Anyway, of course he tried to say there was no damage and he has pictures, when we both looked at the fucking scratch at the time, and anyway it was getting dark so his pictures aren't exactly proof of anything.  I'm not saying it's major damage, but it's damage that he caused nonetheless, so fucking get it fixed already and STFU.

So now my car is gone for who-knows-how-long, I am driving our old Civic, I keep needing things that are in my car (my sunglasses!), traffic sucked, DS was in a mood because he wouldn't go to sleep last night so he was cranky this morning, and he wanted to listen to the Jake and the Never Land Pirates theme approximately 20 times in a row in the car this morning and screamed if I even suggested something (anything) else.

And then DH texted me to say that a) a homeless man sat next to him on the train this morning and smelled really, really awful, and b) oh, by the way, his dad's wife's mom died.  DH doesn't want to go for the funeral, he just wants to send flowers.  I kind of feel like we should go, but it's his family.  I told him how I felt, and he was basically "So noted."  And logistically, it's definitely simpler if we stay put, rather than taking time off work and trying to get to Mississippi when I DON'T EVEN HAVE MY CAR (sorry, again) and pulling Wooz out of school.  But I still kind of feel like we should go.  Anyway.
  • I slept like shit last night. My body is achy and I just want to go back to bed.. I really hope I'm not getting sick. Its been going around my office and I'm the only one who hasn't gotten it yet *knocks on wood* We will see how the day progresses.

My mom gets this call yesterday from the insurance company saying that her car and house insurance is going to go up 50% because they "reevaluated Arizona".. Such bullshit. So now she is on the search for new insurance.

Strep isn't fun. I'm sorry mrs.conn :( Feel better soon!

Sorry to hear about your car Heffalump.. Dealing with insurance companies sucks.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm so sorry to hear you have strep again, @mrs.conn23! Sounds like you are going through what I went through a couple years ago - and I had to have my tonsils out. I really hope you don't because the recovery is atrocious as an adult!

@Heffalump your day sounds super frustrating! It's ridiculous that the guy's insurance company is okay with him dragging his feet.

Nothing really exciting about today - it's raining, my hair is frizzy, and I have a deadline. I can't wait until it's time to go home.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2016
    Update:  It's strep, again.  And if I get it again any time soon, I get a date with the ENT.  Whee!!  

The only, only, ONLY good thing is that I receive 100% pay for 6 weeks (well, 5...week 1 you either use sick time, PTO, or take it unpaid) on short-term disability (it's all company paid).  So financially, it would not hurt us badly at all. 
  • @mrs.conn23 - boo for strep AGAIN! and Yay for STD!
  • DH also thinks he has strep.  We both might be going in for the swab.  I am just not getting any better.  And of course this week is just busy as can be.
  • BOO @tawillers!!!  That sucks.  
  • I had my tonsils out at 20, and it sucked, but I haven't had much in the way of strep since then. Good luck @mrs.conn23 !
    @Heffa - you have a police report, right? That's really all you need - he rear-ended a stopped car, he's at fault, he has to pay. File the claim with your insurance, get it fixed, and have them deal with his insurance company. They will advocate for you. 

I'm trying to find time to work on my big project for the year. I need to have some slides /printouts done before I go to my 2 week training program on the 14th since I'll be presenting there. 

• @charlotte989875 , my undergrad degree was political science!  Let's nerd together!  :smile: 

Today is my Thursday because #HOUSEOFCARDS drops Friday, yayayayayayayayayay!  and I took the day off for it. :smile:   I'm having a party with the inner circle of fans.  We have 2 newbies coming and they've been told to either binge and catch up or just figure it out, we're not stopping for questions b/c of that Season 3 cliffhanger!

Other than that, I'm sleepy.  I had a long night with a friend who really needed support and I gladly gave it, but dang, I can't do late nights much anymore.  IDK what seems to be going on with my friends group lately.  It's either totally fine or totally not.  There are so many of us going through major emotional changes.  Maybe it's midlife crises?
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2016
    *Barbie* said:
    I had my tonsils out at 20, and it sucked, but I haven't had much in the way of strep since then. Good luck @mrs.conn23 !
    @Heffa - you have a police report, right? That's really all you need - he rear-ended a stopped car, he's at fault, he has to pay. File the claim with your insurance, get it fixed, and have them deal with his insurance company. They will advocate for you. 

I'm trying to find time to work on my big project for the year. I need to have some slides /printouts done before I go to my 2 week training program on the 14th since I'll be presenting there. 

See, that's what I told DH.  We have collectively been in so few accidents (knock on wood) that every time is like the first time, but I swear that's how my last one (10+ years ago) was handled.  DH said our agent said to call Allstate directly, which seemed weird to me. 

I'm on the fence about turning it over to our lawyer.  OTOH, you're right, it's so straightforward it should be a no-brainer.  On the other, I am fucking sick of this (after a day and a half, which probably doesn't say great things about me) that I just want someone else to deal.  A coworker was rear-ended on the interstate on the way to work last month, and her lawyer is handling everything.  But she hired them because some guy in his company vehicle hit her, and she "didn't want to be dicked around."

DH and I had a long text exchange because I feel like I'm being a baby about a small FWP.  But I am mad.  I tell myself that last month, when the pedi said Wooz would probably need surgery, THAT was a BFD.  FIL's wife's mother just died.  THAT is a BFD.  My head says that in the grand scheme of things, this is NBD.  My heart is like

httpmrwgifscomwp-contentuploads201304Anthony-Anderson-Burn-It-With-Fire-Gifgif

Oh, and ETA re: the police report.  Our city gives you an "information exchange report" ("courtesy of the police department" like it's swag) with the other guy's info, police report number, etc., and then you give all that to the insurance people. 
  • You probably won't find an attorney to take it.  Needs to be damages that are of interest and money making.  However, if you have a family lawyer/friend who can write you a mean letter on their letterhead for cheap, it might shake things down for you.

But really, I'd call my agent and tell them to get their shit done.  That's what you pay for, thankssomuch.
  • VarunaTT said:
    You probably won't find an attorney to take it.  Needs to be damages that are of interest and money making.  However, if you have a family lawyer/friend who can write you a mean letter on their letterhead for cheap, it might shake things down for you.

But really, I'd call my agent and tell them to get their shit done.  That's what you pay for, thankssomuch.
    That was my initial thought re: the attorney.  If I did call anyone, it would be the guy handling my ticket, for exactly the reasons you mentioned.  That's probably why I haven't called him.  But I like to daydream about it being someone else's problem. 

I am going to call our agent at lunch, if I can stop saying "fuck" every other word today. 
  • VarunaTT said:
    @charlotte989875 , my undergrad degree was political science!  Let's nerd together!  :smile: 

Today is my Thursday because #HOUSEOFCARDS drops Friday, yayayayayayayayayay!  and I took the day off for it. :smile:   I'm having a party with the inner circle of fans.  We have 2 newbies coming and they've been told to either binge and catch up or just figure it out, we're not stopping for questions b/c of that Season 3 cliffhanger!

Other than that, I'm sleepy.  I had a long night with a friend who really needed support and I gladly gave it, but dang, I can't do late nights much anymore.  IDK what seems to be going on with my friends group lately.  It's either totally fine or totally not.  There are so many of us going through major emotional changes.  Maybe it's midlife crises?
    Super Tuesday is like Christmas and I don't even research American politics. Not to get too nerdy but we're running a study tonight at the talk to poll students on who they would vote for if the election were held today, giving our presentations on the foreign policy positions, then re-polling to see if they were surprised by their candidates views and if they would change their votes. Im super stoked to see what happens. Totally nerding out today. 
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2016
    OMG, I had to go to a show last night and killed my phone battery continuously checking the results of the primaries.

Foreign policy was what my masters was geared towards (international relations and administration), but I don't stay too much up on it anymore.  My track was Japanese/American relations.
  • @mrs.conn, ugh!  So sorry to hear about the strep.

@heffalump, sorry to hear about your accident.  Unfortunately, insurance companies like nothing better than to drag their feet.  Hold those feet to the fire!  I was in an accident two years ago.  Clearly the other driver's fault...sounds like that is your case also...not even a question.  But she was from out of town and driving a rental car.  She told me and the police officer who took the report that she had normal car insurance for her car at home, but had also bought insurance at the rental place.

For THREE months my claims agent was telling me that other driver's two insurance companies were battling out who was responsible.  Turns out that was a bold-faced lie by either the rental car insurance company or my claims agent or both.  She actually didn't have normal car insurance at all.  It wasn't until I got fed up and started calling my agent multiple times a day for the "status" that the truth finally came out.  Soooo...really?  In three months nobody bothered making a 2 minute phone call to the supposed "other" insurance company?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    Conn - don't fear the ENT!!!  Mine is a Godsend and worth her weight in gold with how good she is!!  I had migraines for years because of sinus infections, it turns out that Strep is the least of my worries and the infections/sore throats were/are caused by an entirely different bacteria that needed an entirely different series of antibiotics to get rid of.  If you're using the wrong antibiotic to a resistant strain or something simple like that it's not likely they'll yank your tonsils, they'll first do a head CT, then a scope with a swab way up there where they test where you're actually infected and go from there.  Even if they take the tonsils out, chances are if you're having infections like that there's more going on and the surgery is a life changer for the better!  Once I had my work done (my nose was broke and sinuses needed to be opened up) it took a solid year to get the infections that'd taken hold under control (I'm allergic to sulfa meds so the one that'd gotten it earliest I couldn't take) but now I'm breathing SO much easier than I had for decades and when I do get a sinus infection, she's on top of it instead of letting it fester forever.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards