Attire & Accessories Forum

Help choosing accessories

Hiya!
I seem to find it hard to visualise things related the the final look haha! I have the dress and I love it more and more all the time and I have a veil with a beaded edge which is gorgeous!

I will have my hair loose or almost loose but not straight as in the photos with the dress. I don't know what to do about tiara/crown etc. I had thought of a tiara with some bling but the dress is so shiny that my wedding planner suggests I go for something different to soften the look and make me look sweeter rather than too formal.

The wedding planner suggests a porcelain flower crown, they're beautiful but I'm not sure if they look right or not with the overall look! I have some pics with me wearing some, the colours and shape can be changed to suit whatever I want.

Any thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated, you guys helped me choose the gown after all!

Re: Help choosing accessories

• The dress looks very Art Deco to me. The fashion at the time would have been a Juliet cap. IMO the flower crowns look very bohemian and would clash with the style of the dress. I don't think you should necessarily go for a tiara, but a rhinestone hairclip with an Art Deco or otherwise vintage vibe would look very nice without going too costumey. Or skip any hairpiece besides the veil and go for dramatic earrings.
  • The dress looks very Art Deco to me. The fashion at the time would have been a Juliet cap. IMO the flower crowns look very bohemian and would clash with the style of the dress. I don't think you should necessarily go for a tiara, but a rhinestone hairclip with an Art Deco or otherwise vintage vibe would look very nice without going too costumey. Or skip any hairpiece besides the veil and go for dramatic earrings.

That's the feeling, I love pics of bohemian brides but then I didn't like dresses and I fell in love with this 1920s art deco style. My wedding planner is very boho style so I think that's why she suggests those crowns. 
    I like them a lot but I think the style doesn't quite fit as you say. 

I don't want to look too costumey but I don't want it to clash but enhance instead! I can't go for big earrings as my hair most likely will be loose. Thanks for the input!!!
  • I like the last type of headband last, but I'd go with something that better resembles the dress.  Maybe something like this, but fully in your hair.

• I like the last type of headband last, but I'd go with something that better resembles the dress.  Maybe something like this, but fully in your hair.

That's really nice! Where is it from?

The designer has other headpieces which are also beautiful: 

• Those jeweled headbands would all look very pretty. Your dress definitely has a 1920s vibe to it, and I remember on Downton Abbey, Lady Mary (who got married in 1920) wore a jeweled headband with her veil. 

Whatever you decide to do, don't wear a flower crown. They look very nice on you (especially with that fabulous hair!) but that's an accessory for a simpler, more flowy wedding dress. Your overall look is more glamorous. 
  • I like that last feather-shaped crystal one you posted!
  • Thank you all so much for your opinions! My wedding planner is super boho and although I love flower crowns they just don't seem to fit the dress at all! 

And this dress fits my personality because I'm stylish and outgoing and like to look different and amazing but in an elegant. I'm not much of a boho/hippie in real life. 

I also think my wedding planner gets a commission on the floral crowns so she's really pushing me into choosing one and says the sparkly tiaras are too stuffy and boring! 
  • I absolutely think that you shouldn't choose flowers! It won't work with the style of your dress (which is gorgeous, by the way!))I love your last picture with headband. And girls also suggested nice options.
  • I absolutely think that you shouldn't choose flowers! It won't work with the style of your dress (which is gorgeous, by the way!))I love your last picture with headband. And girls also suggested nice options.
    Thanks!! Do you mean the flowery swarovski headband from my first post or the last lot I put?
    I think you're right that the flowers don't work! Thanks for your opinion!
  • I would look for some sort of headband or hair clip in a style that is more art deco. Love the look of all the pictures above. Agree that the flower crown does not fit with the dress. Stick to your guns!
  • I agree with PPs. Either do a crystal tiara/headband or none at all. The flowers don't go with your dress. If you feel the planner is pressuring you because of a commission, watch out for other things too. In hindsight, I think my daughter's planner talked them into some unwise choices because of her connection with the businesses. Not all her suggestions were questionable, just be aware.
  • ernursej said:
    I would look for some sort of headband or hair clip in a style that is more art deco. Love the look of all the pictures above. Agree that the flower crown does not fit with the dress. Stick to your guns!
    Thank you so so much! I am going to stick to my guns, now I have to find a nice one! But no flower crowns thank you!

• I agree with PPs. Either do a crystal tiara/headband or none at all. The flowers don't go with your dress. If you feel the planner is pressuring you because of a commission, watch out for other things too. In hindsight, I think my daughter's planner talked them into some unwise choices because of her connection with the businesses. Not all her suggestions were questionable, just be aware.
    I think you're completely right, she's helping quite a bit but in this case she's just SOOO eager for me to buy one of these, they cost around 300-400 dollars and she even paid shipping to send those for me to try on! 
    They aren't her own but I'm sure she gets a commission or she wouldn't be paying shipping for me to try them on! 
    Her style is also very boho, she suggested very different dresses for me but they just weren't ME, so I went for the one I wanted, she thinks it's gorgeous but I still think she's making me look boho almost unintentionally!
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I agree- the flower crowns do not match the style of your dress.

I like the jeweled headbands. Something flat (so not a tiara), but picks up on the embellishments of your dress.

I like the headband you posted in your first post, as well as the one kimmi posted, and the headband with the side flower.
  • IMO - it's safe to leave things with your hair/veil well enough alone!  the ONLY thing I could envision going along with your dress as it looks now is maybe a teardrop style pearl pendant that would land mid-way down the front and possibly (but only if you have one already) a pearl bracelet...  But really - subtle is your friend with ANY accessory!!!  The veil does a fantastic job standing on its own!!
  • Another vote for a crystal embellished headband.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards