Christian Weddings

Your Families...

How do you and your FI's families mesh?

Our families live about 200 miles apart so although they have met twice, thats about it.  We have been around them as a couple, but we have yet to get them together.  My parents have been married 38 years and our families occasionally do things together, my FI's families get along pretty well too.  I'm sure part of it is cause they've been around so long.  I guess I'm just trying to figure out where it starts! When we get married, not only will be we married but our families will kind of marry each other.  Any one else trying to figure out ways to get them to bond?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Your Families...

• edited December 2011

Our families live in the same town.  They're pretty different (2 girls in mine, 3 boys in theirs!), but mine and his have both been married 20+ years and are Christian, "sensible," (odd word, I know, but it fits).  They haven't spent much time together, but get along pretty well when they are together.  They seem to mesh more than my parent's and my sister's in-laws, because they don't have hardly anything in common.  But we're all nice people and find things to talk about.  I'm really not too worried.

I have found, however, that a few Wii bowling games will quickly loosen anyone up!

• iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

My parents live here and his parents are about 300 miles away.  I've taken initiative for our parents to go out to dinner with us a few times and they've gotten along fine.  They share similar values and my mom is super outgoing so it has never been awkward.  I guess it might be nice for you and FI to have both sets of parents join you for dinner sometime by inviting them to your town or taking your parents to their town.  I don’t think you need to worry too much about it and just let it be a natural thing.  For example, someday if you and FI decide to have children, there will be an opportunity for both families to come together but they will have a common interest (you, FI and child) so it will be a natural thing. Creating opportunities now for them to get better acquainted will help to make them more comfortable around each other in the future.  Even though it sounds like it will not be easy to get everyone together, it would be worth it.  Then after you are married, you can do more things to continue to build the relationship between the families so that you are all comfortable to be together.

• fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    My parents were both the first in their families to get married, and they had the first grandchild for both sides (me), so I've grown up with my grandparents, aunts & uncles, and younger cousins all coming to our house for Christmas.  FI's family isn't like that, in that his siblings are scattered from SC to Chicago, so they all go home every other year for Christmas, so they're all together at the same time, and then they get a year with their in-laws. Our extended families probably won't meet unitl the wedding...FI has 5 siblings, 3 sibs in-law, 4 nephews, and 2 nieces....I have 2 younger brothers, but lots of aunts and uncles and cousins.  The only other time my family will all be together is Christmas.
    My family lives in SW VA, his parents live in MD.  They friended each other on facebook when we started dating (which was weird for us) but they had been "talking" to each other before they met in February (actually the weekend FI's parents brought the ring to him so he could propose, but I thought they were coming down to visit him and his sister and have lunch with my parents).  That went well.  It was nice that they had kind of gotten to know each other on Facebook first, so everyone knew some topics to talk about.  We weren't engaged at that point (but we were the next day), so there was no wedding talk, but apparently my mom and his mom have been talking about wedding stuff on fb since he proposed.  It doesn't bother me...it's just a little funny.
  • Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I usually post one the Central FL local board... but I figured I've venture onto some other boards while waiting to get out of work :)

Fi and my parents are pretty different. My parents are strong southern Baptists. Fi's parents go to church, but not every week and are a little more "loose" in their beliefs. I got pretty nervous the couple times we've all gotten together. It's not often since my family lives all the way up in KY and his family is here in FL. I've found that playing cards is something common and now that both of them are finally into the Wii maybe we'll do that next time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • MissyCeeMissyCee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to find out how well our families mesh in about two weeks. Our families have never met (mine are in upstate NY his are in NJ). I'm pretty terrified of how things will go....his parents are pretty wealthy, retired and in their 60's and my parents are middle class hard working people who are 40 years old....the age difference is going to make things very awkward. My FI's oldest brother is the same age as my parents and his parents are a few years older than my grandma LOL.

It's not just the age and class difference, they also have COMPLETELY different personalities and tastes. His parents are judgemental and critical and liberal with regards to politics. My parents are laid back, welcoming and conservative in politics. Politics wouldn't be an issue if his mother wasn't so outspoken in her beliefs. I hope politics are not brought up because all hell will break loose!

I know they HAVE to meet and at least spend some time together during the wedding but I would bet my life that they will have no intereste in seeing each other outside of that! HAHA
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards