Wedding Woes

I wigged out and 'violated' my sister's trust...

Dear Prudence,
My sister got married recently. Some weeks before the big day, she pulled me aside and asked me to dye my bright blue and purple hair a more innocuous color so that I wouldn’t stand out too much. She wouldn’t listen to reason as to how I love my hair, nor as to how the process of bringing it to a more natural color would be difficult, expensive, and damaging. At the suggestion of a friend, I invested in an excellent honey-brown human hair wig, similar to my actual hair texture and length. Her big day went off without a hitch and she never even seemed to notice my “innocuous” hair. At the end of the reception, after nearly everyone had left and my family and I were helping tidy up, I removed the wig.

My sister freaked out. She’s still angry and says I violated her trust, and that for the rest of her life when she looks at her wedding pictures of the family together or of me in the background, she’ll know that there’s blue and purple hair under there, and it will infuriate her. I don’t see any problem with what I did. I didn’t want to change my hair color for ONE day in her life, and I even invested in a hair-piece specifically meant to give her peace of mind. I hadn’t considered telling her about the wig beforehand, simply because she was busy and, as long as I showed up with “normal” hair, it should have been fine. How am I in the wrong here? Did I owe it to my sister to actually color my hair for her wedding? I wasn’t even a bridesmaid.

—Sister Wigging Out

Re: I wigged out and 'violated' my sister's trust...

• This is so stupid. It's incredibly rude for her sister to ask her to change her hair color for ONE DAY.

Speshul snowflake alert.

• That bride is an attention whore. How DARE someone with blue hair take attention away from her late in the reception after most people are gone. 

• What an asshole her sister is, holy crap.
  • This is the stupidest thing. The woman changed her hair for her sister, but in a way that satisfied both of them, and she went above and beyond in just doing that. Sis is BSC.
  • Before I joined TK I had never heard of anyone asking someone else to change their hair colour for anything, let alone a wedding. Joined TK and learned this was an actual thing that happens. Obviously only from arseholes, but still. What a world.

• I'm going to be nice and say that sis is a jerk.
  • What a bitch. I probably would have just rolled my eyes and walked away. And then there would have been some distance for a long time until sister pulled her head out of her very speshul ass. 

• I will say this though - all PITA Bridezilla sister aside - the wig idea was actually a really good one!!!  I know someone who went through Cancer treatment and still brings hers out on the days she doesn't want to deal with hair! 

I will say this - when my niece half-@$$ed a "Fruitloop hair" coloring job (she has a TON of hair - so it takes the professionals about 6 tubes minimum to do her hair with highlights, she didn't know this before going to Walmart for the single multi-colored cheap dye kit) the week before the county fair where she was going to be showing animals, I did spring to have it color corrected and made her a deal that if she got through the whole natural colors spectrum I'd spring for the bright/bold colors to be done CORRECTLY...  But, that was far different from asking someone to re-color a proper coloring job for a wedding and expecting them to pay for it.  Nope... Nope... Nope!

• Before I joined TK I had never heard of anyone asking someone else to change their hair colour for anything, let alone a wedding. Joined TK and learned this was an actual thing that happens. Obviously only from arseholes, but still. What a world.
    Ragret!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards