Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

References for musicians?

I trying to decide between two different guitarists for my wedding. I've asked both for references and samples of their performances. One came back with samples but said he didn't have a reference list and thought it was weird that I asked. I'm still waiting to hear back from the other.  I've done this with all my vendors (and regularly do with anyone I'm getting into contract with) and this is the first time I've come across someone who didn't have references. Is it weird that I asked for references from a ceremony musician?

Re: References for musicians?

• Options
    Doesn't seem weird to me. A musician is a professional, and professionals generally have references. That said, I'm not a musician, so I hope some Knotties who are will weigh in.
  • Options
    As someone who knows lots of musicians, this person should have some sort of references.  If he has ever performed professionally or as an amateur, someone either hired him or heard him.  That someone, be it bride, coffee house or friend, can certainly speak to his ability to show up on time, honor a contract, play the music you request, and possibly even speak to his talent.  I'd keep trying if I were you, including contacting local musician talent agency, or guitar shop, or college/university.  GL!

• Options
    @donethat. Thanks for the info! This post is almost 3 weeks old so in between my post that day and now, I contacted several other musicians that were able to provide references and I've paid the deposit on my selected individual.
  • Options
    ernursej said:
    @donethat. Thanks for the info! This post is almost 3 weeks old so in between my post that day and now, I contacted several other musicians that were able to provide references and I've paid the deposit on my selected individual.
    Awesome!  Sounds like things are coming together for you :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards