Wedding Woes

Older co-worker calls me baby names

Dear Prudence,
I’m the youngest employee at a small company. One of our location managers is difficult to deal with and often resists collaboration and cooperation. To top it off, she is very saccharine-sweet and has a tendency to call me diminutive nicknames, especially when I’m leading a project. I’m higher-ranking than she is, though she is my mother’s age. I feel this might be a manifestation of her discomfort with my position, and I am getting less patient with being called “angel” or “sweetheart” while I’m trying to work out project details. It makes me uncomfortable. I have a name, and it’s not “baby girl.” Is this something I should just let go? I don’t want it to boil into resentment, but I can’t find a way to gently ask her to stop calling me those names without looking cold-hearted.

—Not Your Sweetie Pie

Re: Older co-worker calls me baby names

• Stop giving someone else the control.   She gets away with it as a means of showing that she can until she's stopped.   It may be awkward but that's how this woman is able to continue it.   A simple, "I need to make the request that you just call me Kathleen."    There's no need to justify or add a why.
  • If someone calls me sweetheart or whatever I call them it right back. 

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    "My name is Sarah" for me through a lot of years. 
  • It used to really bug me at work when one of the managers would call me "young lady" I'm in a male dominated field and I'm also the youngest in my group so I thought it was kind of related to that but turns out he calls all women that. Not that that's better but I just let it go, there are worse things to be called. I'd rather be called young lady than ma'am or sweetheart. 

One thing that does still bother me is when I'm in the room and one of the guys is going to make a joke and says "hamstermom plug your ears" or something to that effect as if the joke isn't appropriate for my ears. For one I'm a woman but that doesn't make me a prude, two I'm used to being with men all day so I probably won't find what you're going to say so shocking, and three if it really is that terrible that I'm going to be super offended over it or it's going to scar me then it probably isn't appropriate for work period not just my "innocent" ears.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It used to really bug me at work when one of the managers would call me "young lady" I'm in a male dominated field and I'm also the youngest in my group so I thought it was kind of related to that but turns out he calls all women that. Not that that's better but I just let it go, there are worse things to be called. I'd rather be called young lady than ma'am or sweetheart. 

One thing that does still bother me is when I'm in the room and one of the guys is going to make a joke and says "hamstermom plug your ears" or something to that effect as if the joke isn't appropriate for my ears. For one I'm a woman but that doesn't make me a prude, two I'm used to being with men all day so I probably won't find what you're going to say so shocking, and three if it really is that terrible that I'm going to be super offended over it or it's going to scar me then it probably isn't appropriate for work period not just my "innocent" ears.
    TOTALLY wondering if we work in the same place, because I have an older manager (not my manager, but in a close department) who calls everyone "Young Lady" in my male dominated field. I admit, I'm a little less understanding, but you're right, it being equal opportunity usually allows me to let it go!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards