Chit Chat

#firstworldproblems

I hate this expression. Absolutely hate it. I have a few friends that will post this whenever someone (including me) mentions anything that didn't go right.

Aside from the fact that it marginalizes populations based on geography (which is not correct as there are lots of people in the 'first world' that live in extreme poverty), it also is disturbing to think that anyone is not allowed to complain unless they have no shelter/food or basic needs met.

If people don't show that things aren't so rosy, others will get the impression that things are always wonderful (which they can't possibly be). There are so many issues that if others knew what one was going through, things wouldn't be so lonely. I had a friend who finally posted about her infertility and all these people came out to let her know they too had fertility issues and now I think several meet on a regular basis to support each other.

Just this weekend, my plane got grounded due to conditions at the destination airport. I posted this issue on FB and got #firstworldproblems as a response. Yup, not the same as no food or shelter, but still something that was frustrating to me. I've had people think my life is great because I travel a lot, but sometimes travel = problems.

End of rant. I just wish people would stop with the #firstworldproblems.

Re: #firstworldproblems

• *applause* Preach it, sister!
  • I actually find that phrase to generally be a rude response to someone.  It effectively is saying to another person, "I am marginalizing whatever is upsetting/annoying you."  And an attitude of, "Hmph, how dare you complain about something so minor when there are children starving."  Especially ironic considering they probably make the same types of complaints every day in their own life.

Absolutely agree. I really wanted to PM a friend who wrote about her day not going right #firstworldproblems since she is a usual poster on my wall with this. Decided against as it would be childish. I may still reach out and let them know what I've said above, but it probably needs to be a time when I'm not emotionally charged.
  • luckya23 said:
    Agreed, it's really rude!!  I mean it's one thing if you say it yourself, but quite another to "say" it to someone else! 
    There are probably 1 billion people online that I would like to tell to either STFU or "quit your bitching," but I'm staying strong so far!
    The bolded exactly. If it's something the person is saying about their problems, I think it has good uses. I mean it's good to acknowledge that your phone failing to connect to a stupid game isn't a real problem. But it's not something that you should about other people's problems. That's trivializing things that are upsetting them, usually when they don't need to be upset with anything else.
  • cupcait927cupcait927 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    anjemon said:
    luckya23 said:
    Agreed, it's really rude!!  I mean it's one thing if you say it yourself, but quite another to "say" it to someone else! 
    There are probably 1 billion people online that I would like to tell to either STFU or "quit your bitching," but I'm staying strong so far!
    The bolded exactly. If it's something the person is saying about their problems, I think it has good uses. I mean it's good to acknowledge that your phone failing to connect to a stupid game isn't a real problem. But it's not something that you should about other people's problems. That's trivializing things that are upsetting them, usually when they don't need to be upset with anything else.
    But on the flip side, people now take to FB and social media to air out every little complaint in their day. I would never tell someone their issue is a first world problem because that's not my place, but it gets old when I see the same people bitching about shit that doesn't matter, just because they have a platform to do so. I had to bite my tongue so hard the other night when my sister posted that she just cracked the screen on her brand new iPhone and acted like it was the end of the world. When you see news reports of people dying and children starving, it's really hard to feel sympathetic for someone who just cracked the screen on their $700 phone and has the means to fix it.

ETA - I'm not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to vent on social media unless it's earth shattering, but sometimes a little perspective would be nice. Maybe take a step back and ask yourself if it's really so awful that you need to post it on FB.
  • I think it's really rude to respond to someone's complaint by telling them it's a first world problem. We all get frustrated and upset by all kinds of things; it's human nature! (And I still can't believe that IPhones are $600-$700 and they haven't figured out a way to make that glass bulletproof, come on now.)

I also agree that it's fine if someone admits to it as they complain. I mean, I've had a one-track mind with home buying lately, and some very minor yet frustrating things have occurred, but I'm very fortunate to have a partner and the means to even buy a nice home to begin with so I try to remember that! I might say something like, "I shouldn't complain, but sheesh."

As to having a public platform to complain, unfollow. Unfollow, unfriend, whatever. I had a very peaceful Lent by swearing off Facebook, haha. 
    Like I said, I would never diminish someone's complaint directly. I agree that it's rude and people can complain about whatever they wish. However, I think it's gotten a little out of hand on social media and it led to the hashtag. I don't need to know every minor irritation in your life and neither does the rest of your FB universe.

I used to be one of those people who bitched constantly on social media and honestly, the "On this day" feature has really helped temper my need to voice my every gripe. I saw how often I was doing it  in the past and now, instead of going to social media, I give myself a little perspective and ask if I really need to post a rant about spilling my coffee morning. 
  • Agreed.  Using it as a response to someone else's complaint is trivializing their feelings and just rude.  I'm sure they know it's not a life or death issue, but it's still frustrating to them and they don't need people being dicks to them. 

Using it to trivialize your own issues and add your own perspective is okay.

• Agreed.  Using it as a response to someone else's complaint is trivializing their feelings and just rude.  I'm sure they know it's not a life or death issue, but it's still frustrating to them and they don't need people being dicks to them. 

Using it to trivialize your own issues and add your own perspective is okay.
    Right??? When I'm obsessing or upset about something and someone tells me it's a "first world problem," I think, "What a selfish asshole I am," and that makes the situation worse, not better.
  • I think it's really rude to respond to someone's complaint by telling them it's a first world problem. We all get frustrated and upset by all kinds of things; it's human nature! (And I still can't believe that IPhones are $600-$700 and they haven't figured out a way to make that glass bulletproof, come on now.)

I also agree that it's fine if someone admits to it as they complain. I mean, I've had a one-track mind with home buying lately, and some very minor yet frustrating things have occurred, but I'm very fortunate to have a partner and the means to even buy a nice home to begin with so I try to remember that! I might say something like, "I shouldn't complain, but sheesh."

As to having a public platform to complain, unfollow. Unfollow, unfriend, whatever. I had a very peaceful Lent by swearing off Facebook, haha. 
    Like I said, I would never diminish someone's complaint directly. I agree that it's rude and people can complain about whatever they wish. However, I think it's gotten a little out of hand on social media and it led to the hashtag. I don't need to know every minor irritation in your life and neither does the rest of your FB universe.

I used to be one of those people who bitched constantly on social media and honestly, the "On this day" feature has really helped temper my need to voice my every gripe. I saw how often I was doing it  in the past and now, instead of going to social media, I give myself a little perspective and ask if I really need to post a rant about spilling my coffee morning. 

I agree that some people need to filter what they post on social media. I find that a lot of people are using #firstworldproblems to respond to postings that sound genuinely crappy.
  • I think it started off as a phrase for those extremely non-problems like "My mom got me the wrong color iphone, I hate her" First world problem. I agree that it shouldn't be used so often, problems are problems, it's good to put your problems in perspective sometimes but not dismissed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I agree that no one should trivialize someone elses problems, even if internally one is rolling their eyes. I would never use this phrase to make a comment on someone else.

I don't hashtag, so I would never use that on social media, but I do use the phrase in reference to myself. Usually because I am complaining/whining about something stupid/insignificant. I think the last time I used the phrase, I was complaining to DH about how one of my favourite regular shows is taking a mid winter break for a few months ;).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards