Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How to calculate for mid-afternoon reception?

As of right now, we have 110 guests and staff, plus the two of us. The guest list is a work in progress, though. We haven't sent Save the Dates yet and we might just send invitations without the STDs.

Ceremony starts at 1:30 and reception will start at approximately 2:15-2:30. We're offering sandwiches, crudités, fruit, cheese, a couple of cold salads, some Mediterranean and antipasti trays, cookies, and cake. Beverages are water, coffee, iced tea, and either lemonade or punch.

Should I use a calculator for lunch or heavy hors d'oeuvres to figure out how much food to order? 

Re: How to calculate for mid-afternoon reception?

• IMO - lunch... 
  • I second @MesmrEwe - If I attended a 1:30 wedding, I would probably eat a small snack beforehand and would treat the reception as lunch. What you're serving sounds great, though!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Will people know there will be food? With that time frame I'd eat lunch before hand assuming there would just be cake unless I'd heard otherwise. 
  • As of right now, we have 110 guests and staff, plus the two of us. The guest list is a work in progress, though. We haven't sent Save the Dates yet and we might just send invitations without the STDs.

Ceremony starts at 1:30 and reception will start at approximately 2:15-2:30. We're offering sandwiches, crudités, fruit, cheese, a couple of cold salads, some Mediterranean and antipasti trays, cookies, and cake. Beverages are water, coffee, iced tea, and either lemonade or punch.

Should I use a calculator for lunch or heavy hors d'oeuvres to figure out how much food to order? 
    I would also calculate for a lunch.  I agree with PP's regarding the timing of your reception.  I would somehow indicate that a luncheon reception will follow the ceremony.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    I also agree with lunch.

Likely I'd have a large, later breakfast, as we would be leaving the house sometime between 12 and 12:30 to get there with a bit of time to spare (depending on exactly how far the drive would be).

ETA: It does sound like you will have lots of food though. If you have enough so that everyone can have a bit of each, I think you'll have plenty.
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Lunch. I have never attended a wedding that did not serve a full meal. I have only heard about them through TK. I do understand that they are etiquette accepted depending on the time of day (this is debatable still, to me depending on where your guests are traveling from) but it would not be in my family or friend social circle.  If you can afford a full meal I would do that. If you are concerned about leftover food, talk to your caterer about what options you have regarding that. 
  • lc07 said:
    Lunch. I have never attended a wedding that did not serve a full meal. I have only heard about them through TK. I do understand that they are etiquette accepted depending on the time of day (this is debatable still, to me depending on where your guests are traveling from) but it would not be in my family or friend social circle.  If you can afford a full meal I would do that. If you are concerned about leftover food, talk to your caterer about what options you have regarding that. 
    Oh, I'm not concerned about leftovers. We'll either send them home with guests or donate them. I'm concerned about running out of food, hence my question. I suppose worst case scenario, we can order some pizzas as backup.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards